Menu

Those that use BrainPop

workingmom

I just emailed our two libraries lets see if any of them have subscriptions first. In reality my kids rarely use the computer and I kind of like it that way. This week my son was like why do we have so much computer time (since I'm trying to cramp in the free trial days :)

We have a subscription. The Homeschool Buyer's Co-op offers discounts sometimes, or else you get points towards other things if you buy through them.

There's also BrainPop for the iPad! Limited though...

My daughter loves the funny robot. :)

THANKS! I'll look into it. Are all the videos available or just a limited amount?

As far as I know, just one per day.

Edited to add: actually, it looks like you can get a small number of sample videos also. But it's definitely an extremely limited selection.

Edited by skueppers
added more info

We had Brainpop last year with our public school, but will be subscribing this year with homeschool We are using Oak Meadow, which is heavy written material. I already have all the brainpop vids picked out to supplement and break up the written material.

The videos are fabulous and I found one for almost every lesson we are doing.

Worth the $!

• 10 months later...

Sigh! Why does this need to be so expensive? I guess I need to check if any libraries in my state have access and see if I can get a card for that library.

The short 5 min videos look so efficent. I LOVE efficient!

Sigh! It's not just the $9.99 a month, but the 1 year contract and automatic renewals. I HATE automatic renewals. I hate automatic renewal more than I love efficient. I forget why, but automatic renewals can be very troublesome in some way of losing consumer rights. It makes me nervous even though I can't remember why it should make me nervous :-0

Sigh!

Check your public school website. Ours has a link from the "library without walls" page that takes you directly to brainpop.

I would think it would be ok for you to use it also, but if not call the school and see what they say. My middle son went to ps from K-3rd, and our school's public site had free access to brainpop, enchanted learning, and a bunch of other sites.

We have the free iPad app that gives you a new movie and quiz each day. (You can access a few other videos as well, but very few). For us, we don't need any more than that, as we use BrainPop as a way of exposing our kids to a variety of topics that we might not otherwise have covered yet (i.e., the 'strewing' unschoolers speak of). If something catches their interest, we'll then find resources other than BrainPop to investigate it further. So as much as my kids love BrainPop, when I thought about how we actually use the service, it wasn't worth it to us to pay for the monthly / yearly access.