Menu

Lesson Plan for "Chalkdust" Pre-Algebra

juliajulia

I purchased the book and DVDs for Chalkdust Pre-Algebra. I used ISBNs and didn't go through actual Chalkdust to save lots of $$$.

My problem...I'm not sure what to do for daily assignments. I was hoping for son to be able to do this almost completely independently but I don't know how to decide what to cover each day withough watching with him. I need to make sure we are doing enough to complete this school year but not going to fast.

TIA

Each chapter has several lessons, and each lesson is broken down into several objectives. I assign one (sometimes two, if it's really easy) objective per day, and dd reads the text, watches the video if she wants, and completes every other odd problem (sometimes all odds if there aren't very many). The exercises have the problems broken down by objectives too so it's easy to tell which problems to complete.

I think I counted all the objectives and it looks doable in one year. We'll take one or two days for each chapter review and test, I am planning on doing all of those problems. Of course, we're still in the first chapter, and it's complete review so far.

I did go thru and write down a list of Lesson numbers, objective numbers, and which problems to complete. She does much better that way. I only made it thru 2 chapters, and then I'll have to do a couple more chapters. This planning didn't take too much time.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that will help me get started.

I googled chalkdust pre-algebra lesson plans and came up with a site selling 3rd edition (I have the 5th) for $1.99. You could preview some of the content so I printed that off to go over with the book.

This kind of thing is never obvious with me. I truly think I have some sort of learning disability in this area. I have trouble seeing detail and following a pattern. I can do whatever I am told to do but can't just see it for myself. I guess that makes me non-visual.

OK, I searched and searched the Chalkdust site and as I understand it they say watch the section part (ie, 1.1) on DVD 2-4 times then next day do every 3rd to 4th odd problem (about 35 problems). After that is complete and you demonstrate a good understanding watch the next section's (1.2) DVD that same day and continue the process.

Has anyone done it this way?

Which is pretty much what you are doing, amyco71.

My older dc used CD Prealg.

Day 1: They watched the video lecture and did half a lesson (odds).

Day 2: Finish the odds, time allowing.

Day 3. Finish, if needed.

Some math lessons seem long with CD. Just roll with it. Prof Mosely is wonderful and the lessons are thorough. Your dc will be very ready for Alg 1.

Beth, was child able to finish pre-alg. in a standard school year? I'm having trouble judging how to make sure he gets all the way through. Of course learning/understanding is the most important factor but I do want to go at a good pace as long as he is able. Thanks!

Beth, was child able to finish pre-alg. in a standard school year? I'm having trouble judging how to make sure he gets all the way through. Of course learning/understanding is the most important factor but I do want to go at a good pace as long as he is able. Thanks!

Yes. One school year is plenty of time -- even for doing the cumulative review. Dd finished up this summer and starts CD Alg 1 next week .

We tried LOF Beg Alg for fun this summer but dd prefers Prof. Mosely and a traditional text.

We used CD PreAlgebra last year, but didn't finish it. For various reasons, I am backing up and trying again.

Shannon

We used CD Prealgebra last year with great success. My daughter really liked the way the information was presented and learned so much.

I sent you a PM about the way we planned it.