Menu

Favorite/ Most helpful Algebra Supplements?

I am trying to build a firm foundation (aren't we all?) for my kiddos. However, I am not helpful at all in that department! :D There's no hiding it from them any longer- the cat's out of the bag! ;) Soooooooo.............

I am curious if any of you have a book / CD / anything that was/is just a SUPERB help in this area for you or/and your child?

Please- Feel free to list a million- I WILL check them out!

Currently- I guess this would help- DD14 is going to start Saxon Algebra 1 with the Saxon Teacher CDs and in January DS12 and DS11 will start Saxon 1/2 with the Saxon Teacher CDs as well.

I am tossing around the thought of getting the "Key to Algebra" series. I DID order TT Algebra 1, but after talking w/ DD14, I think she would rather stick w/ the same curiculum.

Okay- I'm done blabbing- I'm ready to listen! :bigear:

Thinkwell, bar none. Professor Burger is a genius and very, very funny.

Preview here: http://www.mindbites.com/person/3839-Thinkwell

Also, not cheap but good for review and cementing is Aleks: http://www.aleks.com/ Gets them working on what they need to review without wasting time on what they've already mastered. Here's a free 1 month trial:http://www.aleks.com/webform/pr-56 You can turn it into two months if you spam two of your closest friends with trial offers :)

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Are the Mindbites videos just segments of the full Thinkwell course for review? (The Thinkwell Algebra IS a full course, right? Does it come with a text?) Sorry, that was a lot of questions! lol

Yes, just segments. While Thinkwell Algebra bills itself as a full course, and it is a full course conceptually, the problem sets leave much to be desired and really don't replace a textbook. I have them all on CD and use the lectures (ignoring the problem sets) to supplement from Pre-Algebra all the way through Calc II.

Barb

The Saxon courses with the Teacher CDs may, indeed, be all your dc end up needing. (if they didn't inherit your math genes, anyway. hee hee. I'm saying that affectionately as I float in the same boat as you do in regard to math!)

If you want to have some other material on hand just to give another explanation to a concept that they are having a bit of a problem with, a little book we have used is Painless Algebra, and a DVD program (inexpensive) we have greatly benefited from is Jason Gibson's Math Tutor DVDs.

Susan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We used Life Of Fred as a supplement to Teaching Textbooks. My ds said it helped him understand several concepts in a different way and was very helpful--and fun!

Same here, only it's MUS instead of TT:001_smile:

The Saxon courses with the Teacher CDs may, indeed, be all your dc end up needing. (if they didn't inherit your math genes, anyway. hee hee. I'm saying that affectionately as I float in the same boat as you do in regard to math!)

If you want to have some other material on hand just to give another explanation to a concept that they are having a bit of a problem with, a little book we have used is Painless Algebra, and a DVD program (inexpensive) we have greatly benefited from is Jason Gibson's Math Tutor DVDs.

Susan

Hmm... See, I never heard of the DVDs. I was looking at the Art Reed set to go with the Saxon Algebra. It covers all topics and is only $50. (Listen to me- "only $50" can you tell I've hit the HIGH school HIGH dollar stage???!)

I'll check into this more though.

Some things I had on hand during Algebra, but not sure if I would recommend any one in particular, just like having math options at our house:

1. I kept Singapore Challenging Word Problems 6 and we did a few. I wish we would have had time for more, because I think they're excellent.

2. I used Singapore's NEM-1 to introduce negative numbers.

3. I had Critical Thinking's Algebra I Word Problems and we talked about a few things but actually did little or none of it because I wasn't sure if ds needed to know algebra before he could tackle the problems.

4. I spent a lot of time reviewing fractions during algebra. I happen to work at a Kumon center, so I used that, but otherwise I would have wanted to do fractions using something Singapore or the like. Being comfortable with the ins & outs of fractions is very helpful in upper math. I probably wouldn't choose Key To Fractions unless I had a struggling student doing pre-algebra, like my older dd was.

5. We probably invested the most time into a little math team my son was on, doing challenge problems. Here is a summary of something I've posted on that:

They mostly worked on practice problems from old competitions that you can get free online. The problems are from all types of math, and his teacher points out that one skill the kids learn is great for testing -- knowing when a problem is too hard. Textbooks expect the student to solve every problem, and the real world isn't always like that. Anyways, here is one of the sites with links to various samples and past sets you can use, although no one on his team is under 6th grade.

http://www.unl.edu/amc/e-exams/e4-amc08/archive8.shtml

http://www.unl.edu/amc/d-publication/publication.shtml#Century21

6. If I would have had more time, I would have loved to spend a little time on Calculus By And For Kids, just for a fun intro.

Some things I had on hand during Algebra, but not sure if I would recommend any one in particular, just like having math options at our house:

1. I kept Singapore Challenging Word Problems 6 and we did a few. I wish we would have had time for more, because I think they're excellent.

2. I used Singapore's NEM-1 to introduce negative numbers.

3. I had Critical Thinking's Algebra I Word Problems and we talked about a few things but actually did little or none of it because I wasn't sure if ds needed to know algebra before he could tackle the problems.

4. I spent a lot of time reviewing fractions during algebra. I happen to work at a Kumon center, so I used that, but otherwise I would have wanted to do fractions using something Singapore or the like. Being comfortable with the ins & outs of fractions is very helpful in upper math. I probably wouldn't choose Key To Fractions unless I had a struggling student doing pre-algebra, like my older dd was.

5. We probably invested the most time into a little math team my son was on, doing challenge problems. Here is a summary of something I've posted on that:

They mostly worked on practice problems from old competitions that you can get free online. The problems are from all types of math, and his teacher points out that one skill the kids learn is great for testing -- knowing when a problem is too hard. Textbooks expect the student to solve every problem, and the real world isn't always like that. Anyways, here is one of the sites with links to various samples and past sets you can use, although no one on his team is under 6th grade.

http://www.unl.edu/amc/e-exams/e4-amc08/archive8.shtml

http://www.unl.edu/amc/d-publication/publication.shtml#Century21

6. If I would have had more time, I would have loved to spend a little time on Calculus By And For Kids, just for a fun intro.

Thank you Julie!

This is a tremendous help! Sounds VERY interesting!

I'm way out of my league here, but just wanted to say that on the LivingMath Yahoo group, the site tenmarks.com has been recommended by some members. You may want to check it out.

You may also want to consider using Muggins Pre-Algebra for Visual Learners followed by Hands-on Equations. I like the idea behind those two programs very much.

I'm way out of my league here, but just wanted to say that on the LivingMath Yahoo group, the site tenmarks.com has been recommended by some members. You may want to check it out.

You may also want to consider using Muggins Pre-Algebra for Visual Learners followed by Hands-on Equations. I like the idea behind those two programs very much.

We have Pre-Algebra for Visual Learners. I will check out the tenmarks website. Thanks!

So would Hands-on Equations be okay for a 14 yo? I saw comments on the website about 4th and 5th graders using it.

It has three levels. My youngest, who is 9 and who is between 4th and 5th grade math this summer, just had to quit mid-way through level 2. Younger kids can definitely handle the lower level, but it ramps up quickly. There are 7 lessons in Level 1, 9 in level 2, and 10 in level 3. However, the Verbal Equations book has many, many problems to extend and deepen the intial lessons, where you are given the equations to solve (vs. having to figure out how to set them up yourself with the word problems).

My older two, 12 and starting pre-algebra, are finishing up level 2. The Verbal Equations supplemental book has some really meaty problems. I found problems like that halfway through my Foerster's Algebra book. Here are some problems they had to solve this morning:

1. A motorboat that normally goes at 12 miles per hour in tranquil waters encountered a constant helping current for the two hours it took to arrive at its destination. On its return trip, it went against a current half the strength of the original one. It took 4 hours to get back to its starting point. What was the speed of the initial current?

2. During the afternoon’s heavy rain, the level of the water in a reservoir changed hourly. Form one o’clock to two o’clock, it had risen from its usual level to an amount equal to three times the number of inches it had been expected to rise. By three o’clock, the water level had risen a total of 10 inches above its normal level, at which point it began to retreat. By four o’clock the water level had retreated twice the amount it had been expected to rise. It was noted that the water levels at two o’clock and four o’clock were identical. What was the number of inches the water level had been expected to rise?

We did Level 1 last summer, and have been doing Level 2 this summer. I'm going to try to get them through Level 3 before school starts - or maybe I'll wait till next summer... see how ambitious I am over the next couple of weeks!

It has three levels. My youngest, who is 9 and who is between 4th and 5th grade math this summer, just had to quit mid-way through level 2. Younger kids can definitely handle the lower level, but it ramps up quickly. There are 7 lessons in Level 1, 9 in level 2, and 10 in level 3. However, the Verbal Equations book has many, many problems to extend and deepen the intial lessons, where you are given the equations to solve (vs. having to figure out how to set them up yourself with the word problems).

My older two, 12 and starting pre-algebra, are finishing up level 2. The Verbal Equations supplemental book has some really meaty problems. I found problems like that halfway through my Foerster's Algebra book. Here are some problems they had to solve this morning:

1. A motorboat that normally goes at 12 miles per hour in tranquil waters encountered a constant helping current for the two hours it took to arrive at its destination. On its return trip, it went against a current half the strength of the original one. It took 4 hours to get back to its starting point. What was the speed of the initial current?

2. During the afternoon’s heavy rain, the level of the water in a reservoir changed hourly. Form one o’clock to two o’clock, it had risen from its usual level to an amount equal to three times the number of inches it had been expected to rise. By three o’clock, the water level had risen a total of 10 inches above its normal level, at which point it began to retreat. By four o’clock the water level had retreated twice the amount it had been expected to rise. It was noted that the water levels at two o’clock and four o’clock were identical. What was the number of inches the water level had been expected to rise?

We did Level 1 last summer, and have been doing Level 2 this summer. I'm going to try to get them through Level 3 before school starts - or maybe I'll wait till next summer... see how ambitious I am over the next couple of weeks!

Thanks! That was very helpful.

Wow! You all are really great! My notes are stacking up!

The only complaint I have with this forum, is that there's SO much GREAT info, I'm on here instead of working! :lol: <<< Help!!

:D Really, I love all these ideas!

Just view the time here as "research".

Wow! You all are really great! My notes are stacking up!

:D Really, I love all these ideas!

One more idea, that I'd really only recommend specifically for girls who are math-resistant, are Danica McKellar's books - I'd heard about them but been avoiding them - but I have one dd who is very resistant to math, and in desperation I broke down and got her Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss. And tonight I caught her reading it. Without my telling her to...

She just wrote a new one for Algebra - it's called Hot X: Algebra Exposed. I'm not so fond of the titles - the format is kind of girl-magaziney - but the math is actually... math!