Menu

I'm doing it. I'm ditching SL LA for the second time.

Why oh why is it that when the school year gets going, I have to go through this Weeding Out Process every year??? I start with such high hopes! I put so much thought and research into our materials! But 2 to 3 weeks in there are just always some BUMMERS.

Sonlight Language Arts works fine for my younger (so far). She's more of a "natural" LA learner. dd12, not so much. She needs explicit instruction, and SL LA just doesn't give it. I'm tired of giving her writing assignments where she just looks at me like I'm crazy (and I think I am) because there really are *no* instructions. Straight to the 5-paragraph essay, without even calling it that - just giving a 5 paragraph essay as an example.

We're going back to IEW. Fix-It, plus theme based writing. I can't take it anymore.

We're trying SL LA for the first time this year. Its too early to be sure, but I'm excited about it and so far all is well. I have one natural writer and one, well not. There seems to be enough instruction for both of them though - so far (where is the nervous smiley?).

Why oh why is it that when the school year gets going, I have to go through this Weeding Out Process every year??? I start with such high hopes! I put so much thought and research into our materials! But 2 to 3 weeks in there are just always some BUMMERS.

Sonlight Language Arts works fine for my younger (so far). She's more of a "natural" LA learner. dd12, not so much. She needs explicit instruction, and SL LA just doesn't give it. I'm tired of giving her writing assignments where she just looks at me like I'm crazy (and I think I am) because there really are *no* instructions. Straight to the 5-paragraph essay, without even calling it that - just giving a 5 paragraph essay as an example.

We're going back to IEW. Fix-It, plus theme based writing. I can't take it anymore.

If it makes you feel any better I think I have chucked everything except for one child's math, oh and FLL3, and spelling for two children..... for now.... :D

I still use the lower levels of SL LA, because I like the reading instruction and dictation (my copies are so old they predate the last re-write, my LA K is dated 2002 ;) ). That said I never have done their writing. It is too creative based and abstract for me.

I much prefer WWE till summarizing clicks, then I have them summarize orally for a while, written later and go into CW after that.

Heather

I understand not liking Sonlight LA. I've used it twice with my daughter. Half the time *I* don't get it and it's really not helpful to my daughter. So, don't feel bad about your decision! (If I hadn't had to put the kids in the 'brick and mortar' school this year, I would have switched her to IEW that's taught at a local co-op.)

Guest storybookmum

I gave away LA - Easy Readers and LA4 two days ago. Not sure why I haven't given away LA - Chapter books, too. I may as well. I do not like it AT ALL, and won't use it.

I'm considering IEW, but the budget's gone till spring, so we'll be doing A Beka, which we have on hand, and I guess I'm dusting off The Writer's Jungle to try to figure out again what I'm supposed to do with it...

To the OP,

I just wanted to say I agree, there is not much instruction. I did, however, want to say have you peeked at TOG's Writing Aids?

It is basically a how to write handbook with rubrics and very clear steps to take to write certain papers. I am using it as a resource guide for my guys. At least you could continue with SL's writing while adding in topic specific instruction. It is very helpful for mom as well as child.

I think you could find WA for $30/35 used. Just a thought if you wanted to try sticking with it.

Guest TheBugsMom

Well, I'm embarrassed to say I have tried SL La 4 times now. Each time I think I will get it, but by week 4 I am either shelving it (to resell with the books) or sending it back. Giving an example does not tell the student HOW to write.

What is WWE?

Dawn

I still use the lower levels of SL LA, because I like the reading instruction and dictation (my copies are so old they predate the last re-write, my LA K is dated 2002 ;) ). That said I never have done their writing. It is too creative based and abstract for me.

I much prefer WWE till summarizing clicks, then I have them summarize orally for a while, written later and go into CW after that.

Heather

I really don't do a lot of curriculum changing, but after 5 years of SL LA I am ditching it this year too. I thought the older version was OK, but I really dislike the new overhaul they've done with Ruth Beechick. I still have the older version that I could use with my second child, but I'm going to chuck it for everyone. I am going to try FLL and WWE for my 2nd grader and my 6th grader will use the online Write-at-Home program. (At over $400 a year I hope we like it!) :001_huh: