Menu

Will you get the flu shot this year -

Will you get the flu shot this year?  

1. 1. Will you get the flu shot this year?

• Yep, we'll be first in line!
    • No way, are you crazy?!
    • Undecided
    • The requisite "other" - please explain :)

NO WAY.

I gave in last year and got all 3 kids the flu shot. They ALL got 2 strains of influenza virus during the winter/spring months.

I should've said "NO" to the ped., but I gave in. None of us in our home, or those who we are in contact with on a daily basis, have compromised immune systems.

DD#1 had H1N1 last summer. Then, I had it a few months ago. We've all been exposed to it. I breastfed (while I was suffering thru it) my 2 youngers so they have the antibodies.

So, I will NOT get the flu vaccine and neither will anyone else in our household. It's NOT guaranteed against all influenza strains anyway... I don't want to take any chances with what is in those vaccines anyway.

Edited by flobee76

now that there's no option to get the H1N1 shot separate?

We will likely all get the shots. Dh works in a prison so high risk population. Then the 2 girls have rare mitochondrial disorders and multiple forms of immune deficiencies and one has asthma as well. Ds is in a full time special needs program so again, high risk environment. I guess I am not a huge risk but do have a history of heart problems so maybe I am higher risk as well.

May not be cause and effect here but since we started the shots a few years ago for everyone, NO ONE has been sick at all with any form of the flu/influenza.

We all got the vaccine last year. We have had the regular flu shots every year for the last 6 years. My oldest came down with the flu 7 yrs ago and looked like she was on her deathbed-came in off the bus from school about to pass out! Since then we have gotten flu shots. Not sure about this year yet, I want to do some research and see what is being said. But will probably get it.

I voted Other because we almost never get flu shots generally (only once when DD4 was an infant and DD7 was starting preschool for the first time, and last year when DD4 started preschool because it was mandatory). Otherwise, we don't do them, and we didn't get the H1N1 shot either. My decision this year has nothing to do with the inclusion of the H1N1 vaccine in the main shot.

ETA: DH may decide to get himself a flu shot this year though, because he's in sales and shakes people's hands all day long. I wouldn't blame him. He had a lot of colds last year, poor guy.

Edited by melissel

Yes, but not first in line. We will wait until flu season really starts and then get the inj. It is the most effective for the first 5mths so we will wait until November-ish.

I work in health care, two kids in different schools, one in commercial daycare, dh works in an office and in the community. We are all high risk.

We got the H1N1 vaccine last year and lo and behold, we were just fine. I was completely astounded.

Hey, same here. Only we did NOT get the H1N1 vaccine last year and lo, and behold, we were just fine. I was completely astounded. :lol::lol: (Hope you recognize I'm just joking around).

Nah, we don't get any flu shots. Not since my son had reacted to a flu shot with a febrile seizure that left him unconscious for 30 minutes. We haven't been any sicker NOT getting them then we were when we did get them. I used to be a die-hard flu shot advocate but my son's experience kinda soured me on them.

Edited by Daisy

We have all had flu shots for 10 years now and will get them again this year. My seizure kid landed in the hospital with a seizure we couldn't stop when she was 2--fever from the flu made it worse than what we usually deal with. We all started getting shots the next fall and none of us have had the flu since getting the shots.

Undecided. It's mandatory for DH at work. Last year the kids got the flu shots but not H1N1 and were fine. It's recommended we get it because we ride the subway a lot and live in a huge city. Everything is super crowded so there's a lot of chance of exposure.

I don't think any of us will. We didn't get them last year since none of us are in high-risk groups and they weren't available when the kids had their annual physicals (October). The pediatrician wasn't worried about them coming back in for them. My kids have had all their other immunizations (except Guardisil for the oldest) and they very rarely get sick.

I used to get flu shots when I was working since we had a health center at work and it was real easy to just walk down and get it. I've hardly ever had the flu with or without the shot so I'm not too worried.

if you look at the studies they claim the flu reduces death by a huge number...a number that isn't possible because not even that many people get the flu!!! So they are basically saying that the flu shot reduces you chance of dying in a car accidnet. Obviously that isn't true, its just that people that get the shot have better lifestyles and are less likely to die in general. I did a ton of research on this last year as I was pregnant and my mother was convinced I was going to die of swine flu. Not only didn't I die of it, but my son caught it and we took elderberry and it was fine.

FYI, if anyone does get the flu, there are studies on PubMed that show that Sambucol is more effective at treating the flu than antiviral medications.

Yes, we will have the proverbial line up at the peds office, and DH and I will get them as well, although not until about Oct. unless we start seeing it early around here. I have a few kids that are high risk, two of them have had lengthy hospitalizations with flu related complications, so it is recommended that everyone get them.

Edited by melmichigan

No one in our family has ever gotten any flu shot, and I would love to keep it that way. BUT, my employer is requiring every employee to get the shot this year. I am a nurse in a pretty big hospital, and apparently it's becoming common practice to require hospital employees to get the shot. I am pretty p*ssed about it. I have actually thought about getting a new job, but I have been there a long time, and I love my job, so I will just suck it up and get it. If we refuse, they are making it seem like we will be fired. I don't even know if that's legal. I am kinda hoping if I wait until the very last day it's available, they might run out. Isn't that usually what happens?

no, we won't but I don't think "no way; are you crazy" about it though.

My daughter got it one year because her nephrologist told us to in order to protect her from coming out of remission (viral infection could cause that).

Otherwise, none of us have ever gotten it.

However, ds and I did get swine flu last year. DS wasn't too bad off but it was pretty rough for me.

NO WAY!

Everyone in our extended family that gets it, gets the flu...every year! You would think they would catch on by now that the flu shot does NOT protect you from getting the flu. The ONE year that my husband succumbed to getting the flu shot, he got the flu. In our 16yrs of marriage, I've had the flu maybe twice and most of our children have never had it. I'm not messing with their natural immunities nor their system.

No one in our family has ever gotten any flu shot, and I would love to keep it that way. BUT, my employer is requiring every employee to get the shot this year. I am a nurse in a pretty big hospital, and apparently it's becoming common practice to require hospital employees to get the shot. I am pretty p*ssed about it. I have actually thought about getting a new job, but I have been there a long time, and I love my job, so I will just suck it up and get it. If we refuse, they are making it seem like we will be fired. I don't even know if that's legal. I am kinda hoping if I wait until the very last day it's available, they might run out. Isn't that usually what happens?

No, I don't believe that it's legal. I've heard of nurses elsewhere putting up fights over it elsewhere. I believe it was last year or the year before there was a whole group of nursing staff that raised a stink at one hospital. I would find out what your rights actually are, not let them intimidate you.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Nurses+refusing+flu+shots&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by mommaduck

We all got H1N1 last year and nothing terrible happened to any of us so we will be getting our flu shot this year. Our pediatrician doesn't charge us for a visit when we just go in for the children to get shots so it is entirely free. If it will reduce the chance of having to spend tons of money on doctor visits later I am all for it. Vaccines do not contain the live virus and the kids and I have never had issues after the flu shots so I feel good about it.

Penny

I am a nurse in a pretty big hospital, and apparently it's becoming common practice to require hospital employees to get the shot.

Our hospital policy is that employees may refuse the shot, but they must wear a face mask for any patient contact.

DD and I will probably get it. I got the flu three years in a row (the real thing, not just a little virus) and ever since then I've gotten the flu. Two weeks of vomiting, fever, etc. for three years in a row is enough for me.

DD has always gotten the flu shot, and now that she's in an outside preschool I really want her to have it.

I'll probably have to fight my in-laws on this one, but I really want her protected.

There wasn't a "probably not" option so I put "undecided." I probably will not get it because we never get the shots. Every year that my mom got the shot, she ended up in the hospital with the flu. In the years she didn't get the shot, she didn't get sick. However, dh gets them every year. They seem to help him.

I would get a bad cold every year, but no flu until this past fall. I got the swine flu (at least they assumed it was H1N1) about a week or two before the shot was available. I was pretty sick, but not the worst I have ever been. However, I did end up in the emergency room with chest pain and shortness of breath. They told that my lungs were clear and that it was a "compression fracture" in my back (which was really an old fracture from a high school injury.) I then developed asthma symptoms for the first time in my life. I went to a homeopath and am dong better.

So, I am on the fence leaning towards "no."

Maybe.

I intend to talk with my doctor about it soon. He understands my reluctance to give unnecessary immunizations, and he will take that into consideration before advising us.

My husband is usually the only one who gets a flu shot. He travels with our football team during the fall and winter months, and the team *strongly recommends* it.

My younger son has a strong tendency to follow a viral infection with a bacterial infection. Last winter he got Influenza B and became SO sick. My doctor recommended an H1N1 vaccine for him once he recovered from the flu and the bacterial bonus, and the same plus the regular influenza vaccine for my older son.

I imagine he will ask us to consider the same thing this year.

I haven't read all the other responses.

We did not get H1N1 vaccination last year -- all three kids did get FluMist. I think that perhaps the kids had 'something' -- remember a few days of fever (low) and ds especially lying in bed listening to Farmer Boy on CD. I don't think it lasted but one or two days.

We all took incredibly well thought out measures as far as supplements, etc.

DS11 was given FluMist last week at her well visit. DD9 had her well visit yesterday and no mention was made of the FluMist. :confused:

DS9 has his well visit tomorrow and he will NOT be getting FluMist since he is already fighting Lyme Disease.