Menu

Please walk me thru...(reading fluency)

simka2

I want to make sure I am handleing this correctly, or if you have other ideas. I have twin ds8 that were behind in reading when I pulled them out of ps last spring.

We just started up the new year, and I really wanted to get on top of the reading issues! So here's what I have been doing: they do some phonics work with HOP Master Reader, then I have them sit down and read out loud to me from their readers. As they're reading we have had to really slow down to make sure they are not inserting or omitting small words or ending. Then, I have them tell me their favorite part or what stuck out to them, after which they write out 2-3 sentences about it and draw a picture.

Is there something I should add? This is just reading, we have seperate grammar and writing curriculums.

My concern is that they start to dislike reading (they kinda already do). I will say that they are improveing, but it's still cumbersome.

Any advice is appreciated! :D

I have 7yr old that I'm working with as well. From all the advice I got and from attending the Susan Wise workshop I would suggest you drop the writing portion especially since you already have a curriculum for Language Arts. I was also told to continue with the easy readers to help build confidence along with the readers they may be a little more challenging. Even if he only reads 1-2 pages a day. Make sure the lessons aren't to long maybe 15-20 min and work at it everyday. I'm sure you are doing a great job!

This is just my .02 but I found I had to separate reading fluency from reading comprehension. When my dd is practicing reading it takes all of her energy and thought to decode the words, pay attention to punctuation, try to read with some rhythm and not loose her place. When I asked her also to remember what the story was about she would get very frustrated. Once I allowed 'the end' to really be the end of that book she had a much better attitude about it.

That may just be my dd. If your dss enjoy the latter part I think that is great!

Some games I have been doing with my dd also seem to really be helping with her reading. I have laminated word cards that we use to make sentences. Sometimes I will tell her a sentence and she has to pick out the cards to construct the sentence, or I will pull out the cards for a sentence and lay them out mixed up and she will un-mix them. We also still do phonics drills. Reading from a large list of word families or words with all the same digraphs or blends. We also do nonsense lists where she really has to pay attention to the blends and such in order to be able to sound out the word. I think the benefit of this is that she really is using phonics to decode the word and not using context clues to determine it.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention we have also been reading a lot of poetry and doing poetry memorization. I read a line of poetry to her and then she reads it back to me. Then she uses that line as copywork for a couple of days. In reading to her the other day we came across a few words that she remembered from her poetry and shouted out the words before I even got to them! I guess that is more memorizing than phonics but it gave her such a boost to her ego that she then went on and wanted to try to read the rest of the passage herself.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

The best way to improve reading fluency is repeated readings of familiar text at their independent reading level (meaning 99% accuracy on the first try. sounding out words does not count in that 99%).

This is an excellent approach that is intended to be used in a classroom. However I'm sure you could tweak it to work in a homeschool. I did this program for several years with great success. You don't need to buy anything. Just turn interesting books (with lots of dialogue) at your child's independent reading level into scripts. http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/NC07/Handouts/Beeler_Reader's_Theater.pdf

Great points!!!!

"This is just my .02 but I found I had to separate reading fluency from reading comprehension. When my dd is practicing reading it takes all of her energy and thought to decode the words, pay attention to punctuation, try to read with some rhythm and not loose her place. When I asked her also to remember what the story was about she would get very frustrated. Once I allowed 'the end' to really be the end of that book she had a much better attitude about it. "

Wow! okay this was an eye opener for me!!!! Thanks...I can see how I was frustrateing them!!!!

I wanted to add that it is most important that they like reading and choose to read. If you can accomplish that goal, everything else will fall into place. So I would take a huge step back and drop anything that isn't fun. Doing the RT thing is loads of fun, esp if you can involve some other hsing friends.

The best way to improve reading fluency is repeated readings of familiar text at their independent reading level (meaning 99% accuracy on the first try. sounding out words does not count in that 99%).

This is an excellent approach that is intended to be used in a classroom. However I'm sure you could tweak it to work in a homeschool. I did this program for several years with great success. You don't need to buy anything. Just turn interesting books (with lots of dialogue) at your child's independent reading level into scripts. http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/NC07/Handouts/Beeler_Reader's_Theater.pdf

I was just thinking of doing something like this!!!! for fun! Thank you so much!!!

Slight hijack, what if there is nothing they can read at 99% accuracy? Ds sounds out even CVC words. Does this mean he doesn't have an independent reading level? We have been working on reading for more than a year now, but he really struggles. How would I work on fluency with him?

It might be a bit above their frustration level. I try to keep most of my kiddo's reading work below grade level, to build fluency. Generally fluency is the ability to read quickly and accurately.

In a Home Start in Reading states that with independent reading a child should only miss 0-2 words per 100, that with instructional reading they should only miss 3 to 5 words per 100 and that anything over 5 words per 100 is above their frustration level.

What I do is keep up two readers at a time. One that is harder that is just for instruction only, and one that is easy to build fluency. Fluency is actually build by reading books that are easy and not challenging. I would personally only ask questions on the easy book. Reading can be hard enough, so adding comprehension is doubling the work load. Doing the comprehension on the easier readers should be a much easier task.

Another way to build fluency is to have them read while listing to the book on tape.

Heather

p.s. Could their be dyslexia in the family? The little errors you are describing can by dyslexic in nature and dyslexic children never really out grow it. I still do it to this day, despite how much I read.

It might be a bit above their frustration level. I try to keep most of my kiddo's reading work below grade level, to build fluency. Generally fluency is the ability to read quickly and accurately.

In a Home Start in Reading states that with independent reading a child should only miss 0-2 words per 100, that with instructional reading they should only miss 3 to 5 words per 100 and that anything over 5 words per 100 is above their frustration level.

What I do is keep up two readers at a time. One that is harder that is just for instruction only, and one that is easy to build fluency. Fluency is actually build by reading books that are easy and not challenging. I would personally only ask questions on the easy book. Reading can be hard enough, so adding comprehension is doubling the work load. Doing the comprehension on the easier readers should be a much easier task.

Another way to build fluency is to have them read while listing to the book on tape.

Heather

p.s. Could their be dyslexia in the family? The little errors you are describing can by dyslexic in nature and dyslexic children never really out grow it. I still do it to this day, despite how much I read.

Thanks for your post! and I am reasonably convinced there is some dyslexia. That's what started me on slowing down...and really listening to them read. Plus, we have a lot of inverting letters and numbers.

Dh can never get his left and rights straight, and I was reading about that being another sign of dyslexia. If you have any pointers about what I can do I would love it! Feel free to PM me.

Thanks again!

Nonsense words!

They probably got a lot of sight words and other whole language approaches in school. It really takes a while to fix those problems. Nonsense words and syllables speed up the process of remediation for my remedial students. The exposure to repeated sight words can mimic the symptoms of dyslexia.

Once they have learned some syllables, the syllable divided books are a great resource for an older student who still needs some decoding clues but likes to read more interesting higher level texts.

This is the program I work my remedial student through, along with having them watch my lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Slight hijack, what if there is nothing they can read at 99% accuracy? Ds sounds out even CVC words. Does this mean he doesn't have an independent reading level? We have been working on reading for more than a year now, but he really struggles. How would I work on fluency with him?

just saw this.

Give him the easiest material possible. Let him choose from that. Have fun fun fun! It will come. He's 6 so there's time.

I agree with kathkath, mix in some stuff he knows cold with stuff that he has to work at. But overall you can't work on fluency till they can read, and that they don't have an independent level yet. Mixing in easy stuff also helps build confidence.

It is fine that he struggles, some kids have it click some don't. My oldest had it "click" and she was always reading ahead of our instruction. My 2nd dd could spell a year before she could blend anything and repeated her K phonics, my 3rd dd is classic dyslexic and I am still doing remedial work with her. She repeated K phonics, moved slowly through 1st grade phonics, has done LiPS to help her hear the difference between letter sounds (she really couldn't hear the difference between short i and short e nor could she hear both sounds in blends), though she reads above grade level now. She is still finishing up her 2nd grade phonics and working on learning to see words in her mind for spelling, because she doesn't naturally have that ability. My ds is 7 and can spell and blend single words at a time, but isn't reading fluently.

It is about slow and steady progress, so just keep going.

Heather