Menu

Language Arts and Barton

My dyslexic daughter is entering the 5th grade. She is just finishing up Barton level 3 and going into level 4. Fortunately her dyslexia is pretty mild and she is doing great on Barton (she almost spells better than the rest of the family now!). I'm trying to figure out what other language arts curriculum to give her this year. Would it be too much to give her grammar and writing (FLL and WWE)? I was also thinking of adding a Vocabulary unit (maybe Vocabulary from Classical Roots).

Any suggestions?

My dd is the same grade and level of Barton as yours, but we still do FLL & WWE. I feel like she needs the extra practice in grammar and there's not that much writing in Barton that I'd feel comfortable skipping it.

I feel the same way. I had contacted Susan Barton and asked her what I should be doing, and she said to only use the Barton system as the language arts component. Working through level 3, it seems like a great spelling system, but there has not been any grammar or extensive writing. Maybe it gets more in depth in level 4 (which I just received today), but if not, I think I need to supplement.

What level of FLL and WWE are you on? I've been trying to figure out what would be a good level for her.

My dd9 is starting 4th grade and is on Lesson 7 of Level 3. We use WWE Level 1, but she'll be ready to start Level 2 in about a month. I bought the 1st level of Ridgewood Grammar, but we haven't started it yet. I've read that Susan recommends adding grammar with Level 4, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to add it at the beginning or in the middle of Level 4. We used FLL some during the early part of 3rd grade, but I dropped it because dd wasn't really understanding it. She enjoyed it, though, in spite of not fully understanding it.

My dd9 is starting 4th grade and is on Lesson 7 of Level 3. We use WWE Level 1, but she'll be ready to start Level 2 in about a month. I bought the 1st level of Ridgewood Grammar, but we haven't started it yet. I've read that Susan recommends adding grammar with Level 4, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to add it at the beginning or in the middle of Level 4. We used FLL some during the early part of 3rd grade, but I dropped it because dd wasn't really understanding it. She enjoyed it, though, in spite of not fully understanding it.

I'm going to try to listen to the instructor DVDs and scan through the book of level 4 this weekend, so hopefully that will help me figure out and plan my curriculum accordingly.

My dyslexic daughter is entering the 5th grade. She is just finishing up Barton level 3 and going into level 4. Fortunately her dyslexia is pretty mild and she is doing great on Barton (she almost spells better than the rest of the family now!). I'm trying to figure out what other language arts curriculum to give her this year. Would it be too much to give her grammar and writing (FLL and WWE)? I was also thinking of adding a Vocabulary unit (maybe Vocabulary from Classical Roots).

Any suggestions?

Susan Barton herself recommends IEW, but WWE is also very concrete, so I think it would work fine. If she is new to summary work I would start with level 2.

FLL would depend on the child and what level. Level 1/2 is heavy on memorization and on oral work, which might or might not be a good fit. If you are starting with level 3 you should be fine. The only thing that might work better is Winston because it has a hands on element.

Heather

Susan Barton herself recommends IEW, but WWE is also very concrete, so I think it would work fine. If she is new to summary work I would start with level 2.

FLL would depend on the child and what level. Level 1/2 is heavy on memorization and on oral work, which might or might not be a good fit. If you are starting with level 3 you should be fine. The only thing that might work better is Winston because it has a hands on element.

Heather

Thanks! I have a friend who will be using Winston, so I may be checking that out also.

My son's tutor is using Winston and I love it! Once he graduates from his tutor we will definately continue with Winston. It uses color cue cards that he lays out with each sentence. On each cue card is the rule you need to learn so he reviews it for every sentence. If there are specific words for that part of speech (like being verbs or prepositions) they are also on the card. With the constant review he has learned more than peers without a disability at the same grade level.

It does teach things in a different order though. For example, he has been doing object of the preposition, direct object, and so on for several weeks in some long difficult sentences. However, just yesterday Winston introduced the terminology of Subject and Predicate.

The disadvantage is that this is grammar only. I will have to teach writing separately but that I think I can handle.

My son's tutor is using Winston and I love it! Once he graduates from his tutor we will definately continue with Winston. It uses color cue cards that he lays out with each sentence. On each cue card is the rule you need to learn so he reviews it for every sentence. If there are specific words for that part of speech (like being verbs or prepositions) they are also on the card. With the constant review he has learned more than peers without a disability at the same grade level.

It does teach things in a different order though. For example, he has been doing object of the preposition, direct object, and so on for several weeks in some long difficult sentences. However, just yesterday Winston introduced the terminology of Subject and Predicate.

The disadvantage is that this is grammar only. I will have to teach writing separately but that I think I can handle.

Now I'm thinking that I should use Winston instead of FLL (since it is only grammar, I'll still use WWE in addition to it). I like the idea of having the different color cards. That's similar to what Barton does with the different colored tiles to teach spelling.

Dobela,

How old is your son who uses Winston? I have Winston because I used it with my middle dd, but I was going to wait at least another year to use it with my 9 yo. I got the first book of Ridgewood to use before Winston because my middle dd used Ridgewood for 4th grade and it was such a gentle introduction to grammar. I probably won't change my plan, but I was was just curious about the age your tutor begins Winston.

Thanks,

Elizabeth