Menu

Preschool Music Program

We went to a kindermusik event at the library today and my 2 year old had so much fun! However, I do not want to pay that much for classes. I am thinking about getting some of our own instruments, maybe Melissa & Doug band in a box? And I wondered if any of you have used a do it yourself type of program- as simple as a book & CD for fun music activities for toddlers or preschoolers? I am just starting to search on amazon and have found a few things...

It's fun to buy those kinds of things, but it in NO WAY compares (AT ALL) to a music class. I HIGHLY recommend early childhood music classes. Musikgarten and Music Together are pricy, but Kindermusik is okay too. I cannot begin to tell you all the benefits (musically, cognitively, physically, socially) that come from early childhood music classes. It can be pricey, but in my experience, Kindermusik tends to be the most expensive. (And has teachers with the least amount of training; doesn't mean they're bad, it just means there is a lot more variability.)

I have 2 children in Kindermusik now who love it! DS5 is beginning the final year this year and will be playing the dulcimer and the recorder - after last year, I can definitely say he got more out of the group setting than he would have one-on-one with me. We definitely wouldn't have practiced without the accountability of going to class and facing the teacher!

It can be pricey. I know that the main office offers scholarships (maybe the time for this coming year has passed, but you can check with the instructor). Our instructor offers bartering opportunities for the tuition, but not materials, which helps us a lot, but I have to make the time for that!

Voice of dissent...I taught Kindermusik for 8 or 9 years and I love the program, but one of the points of the program is supposed to be to extend music making into the family. It's really hard to remember that when you're running a business, however, and even harder when it's in an area of bright, fun objects. Honestly, if you can afford the money and time, go for it! If not, no guilt.

I put my oldest two through all levels of Kindermusik (though they didn't have the infant one back then), and my son through until the age of 3 when my Kindermusik business partner and I stopped to work on some homeschool music options, where my son took a homeschool class from her instead. My youngest has never stepped foot in a Kindermusik class but is not missing a thing in content, only in format. Music as natural as breathing around here now.

I've been thinking hard about launching a web site soon with ideas to incorporate music into a home setting, in a fun, natural way and has been the main topic of the week as we get geared up. I'll let you know when that occurs. My daughters will be helping out, and my youngest will "demonstrate" as the little kid for activities. My first series (video, maybe some articles), will give specific ideas on activities for moms in the home just with their little one, then we'll branch out further on full family ideas.

We'll simply used the most long lasting and readily available (libraries, amazon) books and CD set available - Wee Sing. It has a lot of the same music that Kindermusik pulled from, the key is good for children's voices, and it comes with activity ideas as well. Grab a couple from the library and see what you can come up with!

Edited by CLHCO

We love KM. :)

We have a great program with fabulous instructors. All with solid music and music teaching backgrounds apart from the KM training.

It is a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it. Also, keep in mind that the materials - instruments, books and CDs are things you can use for years - and for other children.