Menu

Help! Our dog is incontinent :-( Gross, sorry.

Our 13-14 yr old spayed cocker spaniel is completely unable to hold her pee at night. She's better during the day, though she often leaves a whole puddle in the house, but once it's evening, there's just a slow leak as soon as she lays down. She sleeps in the garage but it'll be too cold there in a couple of months.

The kids are faithfully washing her every day. I spray everything down with Bac-Out, but it's getting to be too much. She STINKS! :tongue_smilie: I know there are drugs which may help. Does anyone have experience with this?

She needs a vet check ASAP.

This could be simple spayed female incontinence. My ***** has it & she gets a small pink estradiol pill once a week. Presto, problem solved. Cheap pills too - I think 6 mos costs me around $20. She's my cheapest animals with medical issues LOL.

But it could be kidney problems, urinary tract infection, thyroid, cushings, diabetes - that's just off the top of my head.

You'll need a geriatric blood panel & a urine analysis. It'll cost about $250 for the diagnostic tests + the examination fee. They can't tell what this is by just looking at the dog so you'll need to run the tests.

Depending on the dx, it may take some time to get things under control. There are doggie diapers for females in heat or dogs who are incontinent. You can buy them online or if you're handy with a sewing machine, you can sew them. You can also make some out of children's panties + a big flannel pad inside. Boy's Y fronts have a convenient opening for the tail :D

Any dog in diapers needs to be bathed & will probably need a closer clip in the rear to keep the fur from matting & to allow you to clean the skin properly.

Oh & it's not gross at all. It's a fact of life. Some of us two legged folks are incontinent too, or will be at some point in our lives. Show your dog the grace you hope to be extended to you when you're old & ill. ;)

cheers

She needs a vet check ASAP.

Some of us two legged folks are incontinent too, or will be at some point in our lives. Show your dog the grace you hope to be extended to you when you're old & ill. ;)

cheers

I'd had the same thought. :001_smile: