Menu

Critique my math purchase please...

Embassy

Child 1 - 3rd grader. Does not like math, but does okay. Transitioning into Singapore this year from Critical Thinking's math. Needs work with math facts (addition, subtraction, and multiplication). Does better with word problems than problems detached from meaning. Does not do well with pages and pages of practicing the same concept over and over.

Singapore 2A textbook

Singapore 2B textbook

Singapore 2A Home Instructor's Guide

Singapore 2B Home Instructor's Guide

Singapore 2A Intensive Practice

Singapore 2B Intensive Practice

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 2

Math Express Speed Maths Strategies 1

Math Express Speed Maths Strategies 2

Math Express Speed Math Strategies 3 (don't know if we will get to it this year)

Child 2 - 1st grader. Math comes easy to him. He is especially strong in mental math skills. He is a visual learner. He is making the transition from Critical Thinking's Mathematical Reasoning to Singapore this year.

Singapore 1B textbook

Singapore 2A textbook

Singapore 1B Home Instructor's Guide

Singapore 2A Home Instructor's Guide

Singapore 1B Intensive Practice

Singapore 2A Intensive Practice

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 2 (for last half of school year)

Math Express Speed Maths Strategies 1

Math Express Speed Maths Strategies 2

In addition to these I am purchasing:

balance scale (is this really necessary?)

Base 10 place value set

football multiplication game

Snap it up addition/subtraction game

We will also be incorporating:

Living math books

Math DVDs

Online math magician program to learn math facts

Anyone? Has anyone used the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems in place of the regular workbook with success?
You'll probably get more responses asking this on the Accelerated Board.

We did it this way. However, since IP assumes topic mastery has already been attained, I'd recommend getting the workbooks for first level each child will tackle, just to cover your bases. The IP can be quite challenging; I'd tread carefully with a non-math lover, especially if he has a low frustration threshold (I obviously have no idea if this is the case with your son).

ETA: Is there anything in particular you're wondering about?

Edited by nmoira

You'll probably get more responses asking this on the Accelerated Board.

We did it this way. However, since IP assumes topic mastery has already been attained, I'd recommend getting the workbooks for first level each child will tackle, just to cover your bases. The IP can be quite challenging; I'd tread carefully with a non-math lover, especially if he has a low frustration threshold (I obviously have no idea if this is the case with your son).

ETA: Is there anything in particular you're wondering about?

Thanks for your response. This is the first program we are using where I will actually be teaching them something. I think going through the textbook with examples and then the workbook with similar problems may be too much of the same thing. My older son will likely find the first book has a lot of review because we are switching programs and he has covered some items from 2A-3A in his other math program. I am working on helping him with his dislike for math hence our branching out into living math this school year. I just sent him to bed and had him put down "Go Figure!" so it is likely that living books may help him. He is also a whole to part learner so I wonder if the regular workbook would suit him. It is a big guessing game it seems!

What am I wondering? Does the intensive math program have fewer problems or about the same? Also, do I have the manipulatives that I need?

What am I wondering? Does the intensive math program have fewer problems or about the same?
The IP has less white space, and more questions per page. I suspect there are fewer questions overall in the IP (I don't have any on hand for comparison's sake), but that's not a fair comparison because, with the exception of the revision section, they're tougher than those in the workbook. You'll have to go through the entire topic in the text before starting the IP.

Also, do I have the manipulatives that I need?
I can't help you there... we didn't use any in Singapore. DD the Elder did Right Start B before moving. FWIW, we never did use the balance scale in Right Start...

The IP has less white space, and more questions per page. I suspect there are fewer questions overall in the IP (I don't have any on hand for comparison's sake), but that's not a fair comparison because, with the exception of the revision section, they're tougher than those in the workbook. You'll have to go through the entire topic in the text before starting the IP.

Thanks! That leads to a few more questions...

Typically would I do a little in the textbook and then have him do a little in the standard workbook? If I have him do an entire topic in the text before the IP workbook, how long does that typically take?

...balance scale (is this really necessary?)

Base 10 place value set...

Hi,

I don't know whether the Singapore HIG requires the balance scale, but imho, a balance scale is very useful to demonstrate the 4 operations and int. You may want to view these youtube videos demonstrating this.

Also, imho, the Base 10 place value set is very useful. We use it often when doing arithmetic with numbers upto 4 digits.

HTH

Typically would I do a little in the textbook and then have him do a little in the standard workbook? If I have him do an entire topic in the text before the IP workbook, how long does that typically take?
Yes, the workbook exercises are meant to be done in tandem with lessons in the text, usually with some of each every session. I'm not much help in estimating time, as our situation wasn't typical... though it's certainly doable during a school year.

Thanks! That leads to a few more questions...

Typically would I do a little in the textbook and then have him do a little in the standard workbook?

Yes this is how you would do it. I would choose the extra practice book in place of the workbook if you feel it's too many exercises as it contains the same type of work as the workbooks. That said, I would get the workbooks and just skip the additional exercises once you dc show they understand a concept. I would hesitate to use the IP in place of the workbook.