Menu

Thank you, Dr. Who, for educating my children

We're BIG Dr. Who fans at our house. Hubby is an ultimate Geek...I'm just a David Tennant fan girl.

My kids used to groan at the thought of reading Shakespeare (we're doing the Lamb book), and art was sometimes a chore. But after seeing an episode on Dr. Who (edited), where the Doctor met Shakespeare, and recent episodes involving Van Gogh, they're excited to do the Shakespeare reading today because they feel they know who he is now, and are interested in what he has to say LOL Same with Van Gogh..they can pick out his paintings everywhere now!

See..television IS good for you :D

You know, the show was originally supposed to be sort of educational. That's why the first two companions were schoolteachers. I think that that goal slipped away after the second doctor. It's kind of sad, but I must admit to really enjoying the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker years.

So, if this was a David Tennant episode, which one was it? We have the complete 2nd season sitting on the shelf right now, but haven't watched it yet because a friend recently loaned us the complete Babylon 5, which is taking us forever to get through!

Vincent and the Doctor is a Matt Smith though.

To call it educational probably takes it too far, but I think the show is often thought provoking - and has been since the 60's... except for those Colin Baker years because you can't think when you have to look at clothes that garish.

Vincent and the Doctor is a Matt Smith though.

To call it educational probably takes it too far, but I think the show is often thought provoking - and has been since the 60's... except for those Colin Baker years because you can't think when you have to look at clothes that garish.

Hey! I said *sort of* educational! :lol: (Yeah, I'm grasping at straws, here!) Check out The Aztecs and Reign of Terror. Barbara and Ian do their little "mini-lectures" on history in those. My favorite historical setting though, is The War Machines, even though I'm not overly fond of Troughton.

Oh, and I completely agree about Colin Baker's costume! What were they thinking???:tongue_smilie:

because of Dr. Who. They also now love Van Goth. My 8 year old son even corrected someone who said "/Van GO/, instead of goth.:D

We currently have the new Hamlet, staring David Tennant, from Netflix. The kids (all of them, even the 5 year old) are driving me crazy to watch it. My 12 year old stayed up and watched it on PBS when it aired. The only problem is that she said Ophelia takes her clothes off at the end. I'm not sure how to handle that with the boys. :tongue_smilie:

My kids are also more familiar with the London skyline than NY's, unless it's the New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New York.:001_smile:

Love Doctor Who! The other day a bunch of kids were downstairs watching David Tenant while dh and I were upstairs watching Tom Baker. 30 year time warp!

The Van Gogh episode is wonderful and led us to look up the pronunciation. We found this http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=van+gogh&submit=Submit

I never knew the US and UK had a different way of saying Vincent's last name and what's funny is neither is the dutch!

We love Dr. Who, too. We happened to watch the Shakespeare episode while studying Shakespeare last spring and dd really enjoyed seeing some of her history lesson on her favorite show.

My kids spent an afternoon making a TARDIS out of a big cardboard box we had and my son wants to be The Doctor for Halloween (where I'm going to find a size 7 pin-stripe suit and trench coat is beyond me).

Add us to the Doctor Who fans of the board :D My DD is sad that there won't be new episodes until next Spring!

A 2010 Christmas special was announced... Michael Gambon is going to be in it!

We love Dr. Who, too. We happened to watch the Shakespeare episode while studying Shakespeare last spring and dd really enjoyed seeing some of her history lesson on her favorite show.

My kids spent an afternoon making a TARDIS out of a big cardboard box we had and my son wants to be The Doctor for Halloween (where I'm going to find a size 7 pin-stripe suit and trench coat is beyond me).

We need to do this! We have a ton HUGE moving boxes in our garage.

I think that many history reports could be squeezed out of watching DW -- how about a report on Pompeii? Venice? The British Royal Family and diseases of the blood - that could cover both biology and history. Oh, what about literature - Charles Dickens and Agatha Christie!? I think I'm just looking for even more excuses to re-watch...

PDG keeps begging to watch Doctor Who. So, do you think 6 is too young!?!?!? :lol: She loves LOTR. I'm not worried about the creepy factor honestly. It would probably be okay. She wants to know why I have the DW theme song as a ringtone on my cell phone (it was a free download on my web-enabled phone from http://www.cellsea.com, BTW... :D )

I wish I could get my family to all dress as different DWs for Halloween.. DH could be #9 (he has uber short hair and plenty of black clothing) and LLL and I could both be #10 -- I could get LLL's hair to do that crazy-awesome spiking, and PDG could be #11 -- Matt Smith's hair is so long...I think it would be really funny... No way they'll go along with it, though, because the girls are waaaaay too into princesses :lol:

We need a Doctor Who social group. Allons-y!

Edited by BikeBookBread

My kids are also more familiar with the London skyline than NY's, unless it's the New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New York.:001_smile:

You missed a few News. :D

...and my son wants to be The Doctor for Halloween (where I'm going to find a size 7 pin-stripe suit and trench coat is beyond me).

We're having the same problem....

Use some sewing chalk or marking pen for the stripes on a dark suit if you have to! :) You can make it work!

We allowed our 6yo to watch certain episodes. Watching Weeping Angels was a mistake, though..as he still has occasional nightmares about things staring at him LOL We usually pre-watched the episodes or had friends in the UK do a quick synopsis to let us make a decision ahead of time. For the most part, most Dr. Who's are fine.

Use some sewing chalk or marking pen for the stripes on a dark suit if you have to! :) You can make it work!

We allowed our 6yo to watch certain episodes. Watching Weeping Angels was a mistake, though..as he still has occasional nightmares about things staring at him LOL We usually pre-watched the episodes or had friends in the UK do a quick synopsis to let us make a decision ahead of time. For the most part, most Dr. Who's are fine.

OMG, the Weeping Angels episode freaked me out!! My SIL made me watch it, and I'll never look at an angel statue the same way again :eek:

OMG, the Weeping Angels episode freaked me out!! My SIL made me watch it, and I'll never look at an angel statue the same way again :eek:

My husband bought one for me for Valentine's Day this year. It sits on my monitor, peering over the edge at the tardis with David Tennant coming out of it that sits on my speaker :) It's hilarious.

My husband bought one for me for Valentine's Day this year. It sits on my monitor, peering over the edge at the tardis with David Tennant coming out of it that sits on my speaker :) It's hilarious.

That's cool. Post a pic in the social group I created... I'm getting lonely... no one has joined yet :( It's only 10 minutes old, though :glare: :lol:

I want this birthday cake...

I should be planning curriculum for LLL's Kinder, and I'm jabbering online about DW...

We have recently become big Dr. Who fans ourselves thanks to Netflix and older DD's online friend in the UK. I must admit though that we recently tried to watch an episode from the '70's, but only got about 5 minutes into it before shutting it off. Maybe we didn't give it enough of chance. The bad acting, cheesy set design, and clothes were just more than we could take. Made me think of the original Star Trek series and I can't stand to watch that either although I've enjoyed most of the more recent spin-off series.

dh and I are hooked on the new Dr. Who. I haven't let the kids watch it yet, but they are begging. I loved the Van Goth episode, made me cry.

the weeping angels was the creepiest, gave me a chill when alone! That would probably be the one I don't let the 2 youngest watch.

Haha, that reminds me of our family's Dr. Who joke. We were on vacation, camping, and they had these BIG port-a-potties that one of the kids said looked like the Tardis. But it's where you go poo, so dh said that it should be called the Turdis. Yes, we always call portable johns The Turdis. You should have seen the looks we got at the church picnic when 9yo ds calls out, "Mom, I'm just going to the Turdis!!"

Haha, that reminds me of our family's Dr. Who joke. We were on vacation, camping, and they had these BIG port-a-potties that one of the kids said looked like the Tardis. But it's where you go poo, so dh said that it should be called the Turdis. Yes, we always call portable johns The Turdis. You should have seen the looks we got at the church picnic when 9yo ds calls out, "Mom, I'm just going to the Turdis!!"

:lol: cute!

I wish that episode converted my son, an avid Shakespeare hater. Apparently some organization of well meaning Shakespeare-lovers thought we here in North America should get to experience all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare. So every time we see a murmuration of starlings, my son growls, "I hate Shakespeare." I have tried to reason with him, but no. Not even Doctor Who could convince him.

(Where is the sad, defeated emoticon?)

We love Dr. Who over here. DS 9 REALLY wants to watch it, but I think it some of the shows may be a bit scary. DH allowed our sons (they were 6 & 4 at the time) watch a David Tennant episode where an evil creature is doing bad things and saying "Burn with me" My 4 year old came to be crying and I turned it off...the 6 year old was mad :lol: Since then I monitor the Dr. Who and only let them watch very few episodes (almost anything before the new reboot is ok).

Can't wait for the next season. Loved this past year...not nearly as melancholy as David Tennant years!

Diane

I just created a social group - "The TARDIS" -- setting it up right now...looking for a good icon :)

Great idea, thanks!!

my son wants to be The Doctor for Halloween (where I'm going to find a size 7 pin-stripe suit and trench coat is beyond me).

Same here, though I suspect when ds finds the right coat etc. it won't just be for halloween!

There's something that pleases me so much about the overlap about people who homeschool and people who love the Doctor.

:iagree::iagree:

We had a weird angel doll waiting to go to Goodwill when we saw this episode...now it moves around the house startling people! I'd love a weeping angel for the yard, though everyone has insisted that if I find one they are bolting it to the ground so I can't move it around.:lol: