Menu

Animal Encyclopedia Recommendation

ohmel

I would highly recommend "The Definitive Visual Guide: Animal" by DK, author David Burnie. You can buy a used copy for less than $20. We have bought the entire series, all tomes: Earth, Human, Universe and Ocean. They are fabulous and have tons of information and beautiful pictures. If you want to look at it first, your library probably has it. Don't get the little paperback version, it's too small!

I would highly recommend "The Definitive Visual Guide: Animal" by DK, author David Burnie. You can buy a used copy for less than $20. We have bought the entire series, all tomes: Earth, Human, Universe and Ocean. They are fabulous and have tons of information and beautiful pictures. If you want to look at it first, your library probably has it. Don't get the little paperback version, it's too small!

Agreed! Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Definitive-Visual-Worlds-Wildlife/dp/0756616344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282223957&sr=8-1 You can do the "look inside" to get an idea. Be sure to click the "surprise me" option several times to see more of the animal pages (if they aren't up at first, keep clicking). I have the 2001 edition, but the "look inside" for the 2004 edition looks very similar.

We picked up a hardback copy of this very inexpensively (about $12 IIRC) at a Scholastic book fair warehouse sale a few years ago. Definitely going to have tons of animals ;). It's a beautiful book.

I'm going to have to look for the others in the series! Did he write all of them, or are there different authors?

Edited by KarenNC

We have one I got from National Geographic and love it! I just noticed you can get it really cheap on amazon. Wow way cheaper than I payed.http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Encyclopedia-Animals-Exclusive/dp/079227458X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282224903&sr=1-1