Menu

Does anyone else finding they need to add review into Singapore Math?

mama2cntrykids

My ds9 is doing well with it. The only downfall that I'm finding is the lack of review. It has *some*, but not enough for ds to retain the stuff.

I'm not sure what I should do. Do I print out work sheets for review occasionally (like every two weeks or so)? Or do I find a different curriculum that has more review.

Also something *I* don't like about Singapore is that it doesn't explain new concepts thouroughly enough. Is it just me? Again, is there something else that I might want to take a look at?

Thanks!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My ds9 is doing well with it. The only downfall that I'm finding is the lack of review. It has *some*, but not enough for ds to retain the stuff.

I'm not sure what I should do. Do I print out work sheets for review occasionally (like every two weeks or so)? Or do I find a different curriculum that has more review.

Also something *I* don't like about Singapore is that it doesn't explain new concepts thouroughly enough. Is it just me? Again, is there something else that I might want to take a look at?

Thanks!

Do you have the Home Instructor's Guide? If not, I would say that is what you're missing. The HIG is what gives you the info about the lessons, including how to explain new concepts. Also, it provides ideas for different kinds of review.

If you are just using the textbook and workbook, consider getting the intensive practice books or tests for extra practice. Also, you can get word problem books to add extra practice that's a little more challenging.

Thanks!

We had the same experience with Singapore. One suggestion that was given to us was to use the supplementary books one level behind the main book. We did this, but it wasn't enough; ds really needed more regular, systematic review. If he wasn't using certain skills on a regular basis, they got rusty.

What we did for a while was use CLE along with Singapore. It is spiral in design and has lots of review. As we moved up in levels with Singapore, we ran into the other thing you mentioned -- new concepts not being explained thoroughly enough (for a non-mathy mom). It was at that point that we switched over entirely to CLE.

Not suggesting that you should switch. Just stating that we had the same experience and sharing how we dealt with it. :)

Are you using the Standards Edition or the US Edition? The Standards Edition has more review.

The Extra Practice books are geared towards kids who need just that to attain mastery. I linked to the Standards Edition workboosk, but they're available for the US edition as well.

The program was developed in Singapore to be used in full. Many homeschoolers use only the textbook and workbook. This works for some, but most will find they need more.

Check out the samples from the extra practice, intensive practice, and challenging word problems books. The test books were also used in Singapore. (A friend who was raised there tells me they also did a lot of timed fact drills.) I think these are all available on the singaporemath website.

I found that to be true. There was not enough review for my dds. So we tried out other things. I didn't care the the HIGs, the drillwork in there was boring. The Extra practice books are good but still not enough. The Intensive practice books were too hard as were the word problem books.

So we tried using other curriculum and found that Rod and Staff is really great because it is inexpensive and it has more than enough review work. :001_smile:

I found that to be true. There was not enough review for my dds. So we tried out other things. I didn't care the the HIGs, the drillwork in there was boring. The Extra practice books are good but still not enough. The Intensive practice books were too hard as were the word problem books.

So we tried using other curriculum and found that Rod and Staff is really great because it is inexpensive and it has more than enough review work. :001_smile:

We loved Rod and Staff. I used it with another of my dc and wish I could use it again. I actually enjoyed teaching with it, and I'm not a math-lover.

First, are you using the Standards edition? Because it has much more regular reviews (after every chapter).

Instead of doing the review problems all at once, you could have your child do a few each day along with other work. We also use the CWP one year behind. If my son needed more review, I would probably buy the Extra Practice book and use it for review in some systematic way.

As for explaining concepts, Singapore is assuming that a teacher is explaining the concepts, so the HIG is really helpful.

I just ordered the HIGs. No, I'm not using the Standard Ed, but the US. I have looked at Rod and Staff in the past, but to me, it didn't look like there was anything to help explain concepts (for the teacher OR the student). The intensive workbooks look too hard for my average boy (he's in 4th grade and we're only have way through 3A).

Honestly, it seems like I'm buying a lot more for the program than I had anticepated. I've also been looking at MM. I may just search for reviews on that too.

Singapore seems like a solid program *if* you buy ALL the books (HIGs, practice books, tests, etc). I do like it, except for those things.

I am in 1B with my second grader - because we use the HIG, Textbook, Workbook, CWP, and IP - so it takes time. I find it very thourough. But I also do the Abeka 2 book at the same time - which compared to SIng, is MUCH easier - but provides review and keeps us on track with what US students might learn in a certain grade - it is behind SIng, but it is ok with us.

From the HIG, we do all the activities with manipulatives, etc. In my opinion this is not an independent curriculum, which is fine with me.

Singapore seems like a solid program *if* you buy ALL the books (HIGs, practice books, tests, etc). I do like it, except for those things.
But the core components are the HIG, text, and workbook. This is enough for most kids, though I highly recommend using CWP no matter which program you're using. Some kids need Extra Practice, some zoom to mastery and benefit from the Intensive Practice books.

What I like about Singapore Math is that is just teaches the subject without pages and pages of examples and cluttered methods. We go through it once or twice, and if kiddo has not got it, *I* as teacher get to work on it with different examples, different approaches, and patience, knowing my kid the way I do AND being that crucial live example of how an adult goes about thinking things through. Perhaps I'm deluded, but I feel I am teaching more than math.