Menu

Question from a board newbie

boom1128

What do you do for spelling? I have used the grade level lists that I found at superteacherworksheets.com. My now first grader has been working off of the 1st grade list for about 6 months now and it is working well for her. However for my 3rd grader, she has been working off of the 4th grade list for 6 months and it is just too easy for her. I am looking for either a curriculum or just another set of lists online that will challenge her a bit more. Can anyone help me?

I am also looking for a writing curriculum. Has anyone used "Writing with ease" or "Primary Language Lessons "? Thank you!!!

However for my 3rd grader, she has been working off of the 4th grade list for 6 months and it is just too easy for her. I am looking for either a curriculum or just another set of lists online that will challenge her a bit more.

Will Webster's Speller be challenging enough for her? :001_smile:

If you need help on how to use this amazing resource, there is a Quicktime slide presentation with audio, Wall Charts and flashcards all created by Donald Potter.

You could also search this board for past threads about using Webster's Speller.

I am also looking for a writing curriculum. Has anyone used "Writing with ease" or "Primary Language Lessons "?

Both are good resources, but very different from each other. PLL is more for a gentle intro to grammar, poetry appreciation/memorization and picture study. If you are looking for a writing curriculum, WWE is the one you want. It starts with simple narration and copywork, then moves onto narration of longer passages and dictation replaces copywork. I would suggest you buy the workbooks only.

My daughter is a pretty good speller. For 4th grade we took a basic 4th grade list and reviewed in creative ways.

For 5th grade, rather than assigning specific spelling words for review, I'm going to focus more on vocab than spelling, then just pay attention to words she spells wrong in her writing assignments for L.A. and Social Studies, and then assign THOSE words to be reviewed in creative ways.

You probably don't need an extra "spelling curriculum" at all, especially with a natural speller, in my opinion.

We're using Spelling Workout. I like it because it goes through all of the spelling rules. My dc enjoy the lessons. They like the different writing activities that go with each lesson. The lessons are short and sweet. I have one natural speller and one not-so-natural speller but, I'd like both to learn WHY they are spelling the way they are spelling so that's why we're using this program. TWTM suggested starting with level A even if your dc aren't in 1st grade so that's what we did. I think we finished level A in one month because we did two lessons at a time. We're in level B now and still doing 2 lessons at a time. We should finish this level in about one month, too. When we get to level C, we may need to slow down a bit since that will be on grade level with my not-so-natural speller but, if we do that's o.k. and if we don't....well, that's o.k. too!

Last year, we tried Spelling Plus but either I wasn't using it properly or it just didn't work for us. I didn't feel that it was helping me to teach the rules of spelling and it was just list after list. My dc dreaded spelling and I wasn't too excited about it either. But, I know of several friends who have used SP and liked it fine. Maybe it's more about what a person wants in a spelling curriculum. Spelling Workout has helped spelling go a lot more smoothly in our family this year.