Menu

ideas for physical interludes during the day?

My son (7) really needs to get up and wiggle during the course of our school day. We schedule a walk every morning and I try to get away from the desk as often as we can (take a blanket out the the yard, hop on the swing...) And we stop for jumping jacks breaks here and there.

But I was wondering if there are ideas for getting the brain waves flowing. I've heard of Brain Gym but don't much about it. Or just simple exercises that you do inside? Any suggestions?

Acting out what you are reading--my boys always like to act out SOTW as I read it

Balancing on one foot to do one math problem or read one word then switching for the next or balance while I read the question (for something like SOTW) then swich feet when you answer

Running to find answers-- math and grammar seem to work easy- putting up numbers for math facts all around the room and he runs to the answer, or the sentance type or part of speech, could also work for learning sounds -run to the "m"

Throwing a ball back and forth for each answer- again math facts work well, or spelling words, or foriegn language vocabulary...

In general my boys have always lived timers. How long does it take to run around the house 3 times? How many blocks can we pick up in 30 sec? How long can you sit against the wall (you know where you look like you are sitting but there isn't a chair there- I've always liked that exercise because it is so still and quiet ;))?

Any combination of the following -

1. jumping jacks (they're so adorable when they are little and learning these and their arms and feet are all jumbled up!)

2. push-ups (on knees when learning proper form)

3. stomach crunches

4. squat thrusts (remember these from phys. ed in the olden days?)

5. chin-ups (on a tree branch if you don't have a bar)

6. running or jogging a short distance, outside - or doing it in place inside

7. exercise balls are great for children to bounce on while doing memory work

8. marching in place or around the house like a parade. Give them pots and pans, wooden spoons and lids to bang for a few minutes like a marching band

That's all for now!

We do a jumping game for math facts/ spelling/etc. I put them at the end of the hallway and give them a fact/ word/ whatever. If they get it right, they take a big leap to me. If it's wrong, they either go back or stay put. They "win" when they reach me.

Same type of thing here. But we use the stairs since little man can't jump as far as the big guys. I ask questions based on what we are working on at their level and a right answer they go up a step...wrong answer they go down.

We're really enjoying Yoga Pretzels. We take a five-pose break mid school day. I find that my boys get plenty of activity of the tearing-it-up variety playing outdoors in the afternoons. Providing open ended active breaks during school time is counter productive (for us) as it's challenging for my boys to settle back into quiet work. These yoga cards challenge us (I participate too lol) to focus on our bodies and increase our strength, balance, and flexibility. It is physical, yes, but not loud or rowdy, and therefore easy to transition out of back into schoolwork. The cards themselves are great -- sturdy, large, clear illustrations, kid-friendly pose names, etc.

We're an early start here --

so after morning activities are complete, from 9:00 - 9:30 we toggle:

Run around the block together (means mom has her tennies and jog bra at the ready)

or

yoga and meditation (using an iPhone meditation app and a fabulous poster of positions from "Laughing Lotus Yoga" here in SF) http://sf.laughinglotus.com/

These are LIFESAVERS!

Also, frequent snacking.

Astounding what a stack of sunflower seeds on hand can produce

is this what they call "over share"... ?

We do a jumping game for math facts/ spelling/etc. I put them at the end of the hallway and give them a fact/ word/ whatever. If they get it right, they take a big leap to me. If it's wrong, they either go back or stay put. They "win" when they reach me.

I love this idea! Going to try this with my 8 year old this week!

Trampoline sends my DS into the stratosphere. I guess it must wear out some children, as I see it listed often as a good physical activity. But it just makes my son more bouncy and unfocused. He has to do something physical that also engages his brain.

I love FitDeck cards: http://www.fitdeck.com/

We own the Jr set and the Speed Ladder set.

The Jr set can easily be done in the house. I will pick 5-10 cards and we will do a few cards between subjects.

We don't have a ladder to go with the Speed Ladder cards, rather draw one on the driveway with chalk. I will set up 3-4 patterns and we will work our way through them.

We also go for nature walks - either around the block or simply out into the back yard.

Running to find answers-- math and grammar seem to work easy- putting up numbers for math facts all around the room and he runs to the answer, or the sentance type or part of speech, could also work for learning sounds -run to the "m"

We used to do something similar and called it "Grasshopper Math". If the driveway wasn't buried in snow I wrote big numbers in chalk, then called out a problem (6+2) or whatever and the kids had to jump to the answer. I didn't think about using it with sounds, but that would be great too. In the winter I used index cards with the answers and scattered them around the living room.

I'd forgotten about this. Thanks for the reminder!

We're really enjoying Yoga Pretzels. We take a five-pose break mid school day. I find that my boys get plenty of activity of the tearing-it-up variety playing outdoors in the afternoons. Providing open ended active breaks during school time is counter productive (for us) as it's challenging for my boys to settle back into quiet work. These yoga cards challenge us (I participate too lol) to focus on our bodies and increase our strength, balance, and flexibility.

These cards are wonderful!! In addition we have a very inexpensive pair of rings that we got from IKEA & we've mounted them into the basement ceiling. This way when it's raining or snowing, DD & DS can go downstairs & do a circuit (balance ball, wobble board, rings, mini-trampoline & jump rope) It works great for us.