Menu

Beginning Cursive Suggestions-Secular? :)

StacyinKS

Hi there,

Does anybody have any suggestions for a cheap and easy Beginning Cursive Program/books? :)

I have looked a the Evan Moor Daily Handwriting-Cursive books-but are these thorough?

Our HSing Budget is really tight this year, so I need something that is fairly cheap. :)

TIA. :)

Stacy in KS

we have handwriting without tears. it is ugly, but the approach works for dd quite well. i am hoping we can move on to something prettier when she is done with this book.

we have, but have not used, the complete book of handwriting. it really isn't great for teaching handwriting because it uses letters that have not yet been taught in the practice sentences. more of a practice book.

I second HWOT - the workbooks are cheap and my kids have improved a lot. I disagree, however, that the HWOT font is ugly. I kind of like it, actually. It's very vertical and simple and not pretentious at all. And really, my kids are always adding their own special 'flourishes' to their writing regardless of the style introduced.

I used HwoT with the big boys.

This year with the little man I am trying Handwriting Help for Kids Level 3: Create Cursive. Like HwoT it was written by an occupational therapist, but it is more attractive.

My xtra student is using Evan-Moor's Daily Handwriting Practice: Contemporary Cursive, but I feel like this is practice for a child who already knows cursive.

HTH-

Mandy

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with your suggestions. :)

I have been looking at Handwriting without Tears and it does look like something that may work for us, and is easy on the budget.

Another Question-Are the Teacher/Parent Guides really necessary? :)

I have been looking at Handwriting without Tears and it does look like something that may work for us, and is easy on the budget.

Another Question-Are the Teacher/Parent Guides really necessary? :)

I have a copy of Cursive Success with 4 pages used in pencil and the Cursive Teacher's Guide Grade 3 and 4 I got for pennies. Never used them. I'll send them to you gratis, if you'd like. PM me address and I'll ship it out tomorrow or Friday. Don't worry, I didn't single you out. I've done this many times on this board.:)

Do any of these EXPLAIN the cursive? I can print out lots of free worksheets, but I don't know that I would think to teach things like when a lower case 'c' connects to the previous letter low and when it connects high? My preference is D'Nelian as ds9 already uses D'Nelian from ps. This is for ds almost 8. Thanks! Brownie

Do any of these EXPLAIN the cursive? I can print out lots of free worksheets, but I don't know that I would think to teach things like when a lower case 'c' connects to the previous letter low and when it connects high?

If the preceeding letter ends high, then it connects to the succeeding 'c' above the baseline. If the preceeding letter ends low, then it connects to the succeeding 'c' at the baseline.

E.g. if the preceeding letter is 'b' or 'g', it connects to the succeeding 'c' above the baseline.

If the preceeding letter is 't' or 'r' or 'm', it connects to the succeeding 'c' at the baseline.

These are the letters that end high: b, f, g, j, o, v, w, y, z.

You may want to print out a series of DIY worksheets with all the various two-letter joins and explain each one to him. E.g. 'nc' and 'bc'. Once your ds gets the hang of the various types of cursive joins, then introduce words (e.g. 'pencil' and 'bobcat'), and then sentences.

We just started Cursive First and Abeka k5 cursive book. The Abeka book has 2 pages out of over 200 that have the word God. I tear the pages out, so I doubt we'll miss these pages. Both programs use the clock face and house for instructions and are phonics based.

My son does not have the best printing, but his cursive looks really nice so far. I'm so surprised!! We haven't started connecting letters together yet but so far he's doing great.

I would have recommended Italics (I almost always do) but I thought the op was specifically asking about cursive writing.

I thought the cursive component was cursive-y enough, but maybe not?

I thought it was a reasonably good program for a good price, even though it's not cursive only. Anyway here is the only sample I could see of Penny Gardner's cursive, but there is more on the You Tube videos, I am sure. The G-B Italics teacher's manual (I think) has info about when to connect.

We have always just bought the D'Nealian workbooks, and they've been just fine. I also take the time to "write" each new letter and connection on ds's back with my finger. Then I do it again while he writes it at the same time. He's a kinesthetic learner and it really seems to help him get how to do it.