Menu

CLE 6th Grade Science

Roxy Roller

My DD11 is in 6th Grade this fall. I am planning Apologia General Science for 7th Grade. I was looking at the CLE 6th Grade Science program, and it looks like a pretty thorough overview of science. Would this be a good pre-cursor to the Apologia? We have done interest-led science to this point, and I want something that she can work at independently, but that would help her prepare for Apologia.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Roxy Roller

We did about half of CLE's science workbooks last year for 3rd and 4th. They were very independent.

I don't know if it's because of CLE, but my girls got every question (except one) correct on their Stanford tests this year for science. I was so surprised - and curious if the new curriculum helped, or if it was due to other factors. In general, we score well on everything, but science stood out for me this year.

We read a lot of fun books and watch various science videos, so it could be a combination of things. We learn facts through CC, and have fun with experiment books.

I'm currently looking around right now to see if I need a new science curriculum. I thought I would like to have more parent interaction this year and more of a "scripted" program, so I am looking at suggestions here - looking at Nancy Larson, Apologia, Great Science Adventures, etc. I was considering combining science together for 4th and 5th - when they worked alone in their workbooks it felt a little lonely. The Real Science for Kids books are visually appealing and we've read through them a little. But maybe I should stick with CLE. It sure is easy to start out at $3 a workbook! I found the textbook for 5th at our used homeschool shop. There are labs - although there was no teacher's manual for 3rd, if a parent read through the child's workbook it would explain the labs. There is a handy link at CLP's website to order everything needed for the labs.

Perhaps we will do a combination of topics and combine a little CLE with a little hands-on stuff - Nancy Larson does a little of everything in her curriculum, so perhaps moving from topic to topic won't hurt them. I have the Great Science Adventures book for space which looks as though it is mostly hands-on book-making. I was looking for more lap-booky things to make science more engaging, I have a lapbook science kit, but trying to do 4th and 5th separately will be a challenge. They really like to think of themselves as 4th and 5th graders.

-Melissa

My daughter starts Apologia General next year, so I'm considering what to do with my son too. We love CLE for the 3r's, but all their science isn't Sunrise yet. I looked at the text for 5th science and it looks great. I'll get the experiment kit from Home Science Tools. I'm not sure about 6th grade, I thought it was just Alpha Omega in black and white. I would love more reviews.