Menu

I need learning to read suggestions....

jlcejb6

I need help finding a little direction. My ds 6, is about to finish 100 EL. This year we are starting WWE and FLL but what do I need to do for reading after EL? I think I asked this before in a different thread but did not word it right to get my question across accurately. He is reading the words/stories in the EL book fine.... we get a little hung up on the "th", "ch" and "sh" but are working on it, we havent been very consistent so we are trying to get back in gear. :) I dont really want to go the ETC direction, is it necessary to start another phonics/reading program or just have him read early I can read it type books everyday?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would work through either Phonics Pathways or OPG. Both teach phonics to about a 4th grade reading level. You can skip the first bit entirely, then move on to one or two words a page review. When they start getting hard, do more until you find something where you need to do the whole page, then work from there.

My favorite is Webster's Speller, it teaches phonics to a 12th grade level while doing some spelling, but it's a bit tougher to figure out at first.

Reading is too important a skill to skimp on, I would make sure you teach all the sound/spelling correspondences.

The things my ds is struggling with in 100 EL, would using things like the leap frog dvd's help?

Also, instead of jumping into FLL and WWE, would it better to shelve that until next year and finish EL and go onto pathway readers and R&S spelling?

I used Abeka Phonics in K and some in 1, together with PP. My dd is 7 and is reading well. Stumbles a little on long words, but learning to decode those by pieces. I am using Abeka Phonics K for my just turned 5 yo and combine with PP for him, too. I think it just depends on the child if you want to save for later FLL or WWE. I think FLL is doable, I don't know, cause my dd was reading ok at the beginning of first grade last year. Why don't you give it a try?

I would definitely continue with some phonics if he is not pretty fluent.