Menu

Red Hot Root Words or Words on the Vine

SnegurochkaL

Hi, I am trying to choose between Red Hot Root Words, book 1 and Words on the Vine books and can not decide which one I want to buy. My daughter is 8 years old and we are continue our Latin studies with Latin for Children, level A. I want to supplement it doing one of the books with my daughter as a reinforcement.

If you used either of above mentioned books, what did you like about it?

Hi, I am trying to choose between Red Hot Root Words, book 1 and Words on the Vine books and can not decide which one I want to buy. My daughter is 8 years old and we are continue our Latin studies with Latin for Children, level A. I want to supplement it doing one of the books with my daughter as a reinforcement.

If you used either of above mentioned books, what did you like about it?

I haven't used either of these but looked at both of them. I was leaning more toward Red Hot Root Words -- Words on the Vine had hands-on activities, and my ds is not a project kind of kid. RHRW also seemed to inject humor into the lessons, which would've appealed to ds.

It all depends on what kind of approach works best for you and your child.

For that age, I would choose Red Hot Roots. I also really like this one and am starting with it.

Vocabulary Packets

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-Packets-Ready-Go-Must-Know/dp/0545124123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282182647&sr=8-1

I also have: Words on the Vine and Red Hot Roots.

I have to add that I have so many roots programs including the Critical Thinking software Word Roots and Vocabulary Vine with bingo cards. I am not overly-thrilled with any of them.

So, I am making index cards with the root on one card and the english word on another. I plan to just talk about words that have them and learn a couple of roots per week. I will work through the Vocabulary Packets, but I plan to use the words from that book and the flash cards. I've also added index cards for roots we've already discussed in science -- such as derm, chiro, ptera. I made up cards for science roots we will learn this year as well with our earth and space science.

Edited by nestof3