Menu

Away from home school? WWYD?

It looks like my littlest is going to be attending a preschool class for children with speech delays for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, at a local elementary school. I had the choice between the 8-10 class or the 10:30-12:30 and I chose the earlier one to get us up and moving (I am not a morning person!) and because of our Friday co-op schedule. Now I am trying to figure out how to handle those two hours while littlest is in school?

I have made my organizational plans with portability in mind. Each of my students has a weekly binder with items that need to be completed for the week, so for those things that are mostly "book based" it would be easy to carry with us. I would probably encourage my students to do much of their independent work during this time instead of trying to do intensive instruction.

Option 1

Drive back home: Home is about a ~25-30 minute round trip to/from the school. Including the getting settled, gathering up, and leaving time I am figuring we would have probably about an hour and 15 minutes at home at most. Not sure if that is worth it.

Option 2

School library: Ask if we can use a table in the school library. I am not sure I am comfortable with this option although it would be the best time-wise since we wouldn't loose any travel time. I would love to hear other's thoughts pro or con about this idea? I don't even know if the school would allow us to stay on campus, policy-wise.

Option 3

Utilize local businesses: There are several places like Starbucks, Chic-fil-a, etc. within a block of the school that would be open where we could sit for a while. I would plan on making a small purchase (probably just drinks), which could get expensive. I also think I would make a point to rotate between businesses so we aren't camping out in the same place 5 days a week. I figured we could get about 1 hour 45 minutes of work time with this option. Plus there would not be the distractions at home. There is also a park not too far away with a covered pavilion and tables that we could on days when the weather allowed. It is a little further from the school than the businesses, but still closer than home.

Option 4

Other: Some combination of the above, some other option I haven't thought of, or blow off school for those two hours and wait until we get home to start (I really don't want to start that late, though; we have a full extra-curricular schedule in the evenings and I would like the kids to have some down time in the afternoon before we head out to lessons and practices).

The closest public library does not open until 10:00, so that isn't an option.

If you were facing this situation, what would you do?

I would try to use a table at the school, and if that didn't work out I'd go the business/picnic table route most days (but maybe drive home now and then). Can your kids work while you drive? Mine get carsick, so that wouldn't be an option for us.

I wouldn't do option 1 (knowing us we wouldn't get anything done & I'd feel rushed/cranky) and I wouldn't blow school off (especially since you want down time in the afternoon.

I'd switch to the later class and utilize the public library. Especially if I weren't a morning person anyway lol. Is there a local park/playground with picnic tables for those days when there's nice weather?

The later class conflicts with our Friday co-op schedule; plus the library is almost the same distance as our house. It is in a different city from where we live and they do not offer cards to non-residents, so we couldn't even check out books there.

The park idea is covered in option 3.

Thanks for the input though!

I would try to use a table at the school, and if that didn't work out I'd go the business/picnic table route most days (but maybe drive home now and then). Can your kids work while you drive? Mine get carsick, so that wouldn't be an option for us.

I wouldn't do option 1 (knowing us we wouldn't get anything done & I'd feel rushed/cranky) and I wouldn't blow school off (especially since you want down time in the afternoon.

This is me exactly! I know how I would feel having to rush home and rush back and cranky is a nice way to describe it.:lol: That is why I am hoping to find a different option that seems doable.

Any chance your husband/sig other could take your child to the school? Maybe if not every day, at least twice a week? I would push HARD for this option, and that way have the maximum time at home.

I would have kids do reading and writing during the time little one is busy. Or math.

How big is your vehicle? Any chance you can school there, in the parking lot?

8am sounds challenging for non- morning people. (Says the women who homeschools partly to avoid dragging herself and kids out of the house on snowy winter mornings!) Could you switch to the later session and either skip the preschool program on Fridays and/or find your little one an alternate ride on that day?

Is it possible to find other sources of transportation (even one way) a couple days a week so you can school at home without the back and forth? Or perhaps have a neighbour come by to watch the older kids while you go do pick-up so that you can get home but not all need to head out again?

Any chance your husband/sig other could take your child to the school? Maybe if not every day, at least twice a week? I would push HARD for this option, and that way have the maximum time at home.

I would have kids do reading and writing during the time little one is busy. Or math.

DH has to be at work at 7:00 a.m. 30 minutes away in the opposite direction, plus car seats don't work in his car, so we only have one set in mine. I would *LOVE* it if he could take her to school!!!

I would try the school library; otherwise I would buy each child a lapdesk and conduct school in the car, parked somewhere.
How big is your vehicle? Any chance you can school there, in the parking lot?

We have an Expedition (full sized SUV) so this is a possibility! I had not thought of lap desks. I knew the Hive would have some good suggestions!

I don't really have anyone else I can ask to help with transportation or watching the olders on a regular basis. I know 8 a.m. will be challenging but I think it will help get us started at a good hour (I would prefer 9:00 but they didn't ask me! LOL!). I was afraid that the later class would be too late and we wouldn't get that down time in the afternoon.

Thanks for the ideas! Still open to more if anyone has 'em!

I have been down the same road with speech at school first thing in the morning. While initially stressful its easier to get it done with and out of the way.

Definitely option #3.

Use the park while you can, then head inside to a Starbucks, some Target stores have a Starbucks or a restaurant you can sit inside.

Sit inside the car. Pack portable breakfast and drinks.

I have been down the same road with speech at school first thing in the morning. While initially stressful its easier to get it done with and out of the way.

Definitely option #3.

Use the park while you can, then head inside to a Starbucks, some Target stores have a Starbucks or a restaurant you can sit inside.

Sit inside the car. Pack portable breakfast and drinks.

I have DD in preschool this year for a variety of reasons. I have almost the same commute to/from her school as you do and am employing the Starbucks option to keep me occupied during her transition period (first week, 1.5 hours, second week, 2.5 hours, after that, half days). Our library doesn't open until NOON most days! Arrgh!

Expensive with those drinks, yes, but most Starbucks' have "regulars" who are there every single day to socialize and read the paper so I don't think you'll attract too much attention. Every coffee shop has its own personality, so shop around until you find one that works for your family.

Since you have extra space in the SUV, you may want to consider buying a small collapsible picnic table, or a collapsible table and bring some of those chairs that come in a bag and take only a second to set up. When the weather is nice, you can just set up anywhere you like and get some school done without having to do a lot of driving. I'd mix it up and make Fridays a treat and go to Starbucks or somewhere. Since you're not a morning person, anything you get done during this time is probably a bonus. :)

You may find that someone else drives their children to school, and you can share the driving so you'll only have to drive every other week.

The lap desks are also a great idea. No wasted time driving anywhere. :)

It looks like my littlest is going to be attending a preschool class for children with speech delays for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, at a local elementary school. I had the choice between the 8-10 class or the 10:30-12:30 and I chose the earlier one to get us up and moving (I am not a morning person!) and because of our Friday co-op schedule. Now I am trying to figure out how to handle those two hours while littlest is in school?

I have made my organizational plans with portability in mind. Each of my students has a weekly binder with items that need to be completed for the week, so for those things that are mostly "book based" it would be easy to carry with us. I would probably encourage my students to do much of their independent work during this time instead of trying to do intensive instruction.

Option 1

Drive back home: Home is about a ~25-30 minute round trip to/from the school. Including the getting settled, gathering up, and leaving time I am figuring we would have probably about an hour and 15 minutes at home at most. Not sure if that is worth it.

Option 2

School library: Ask if we can use a table in the school library. I am not sure I am comfortable with this option although it would be the best time-wise since we wouldn't loose any travel time. I would love to hear other's thoughts pro or con about this idea? I don't even know if the school would allow us to stay on campus, policy-wise.

Option 3

Utilize local businesses: There are several places like Starbucks, Chic-fil-a, etc. within a block of the school that would be open where we could sit for a while. I would plan on making a small purchase (probably just drinks), which could get expensive. I also think I would make a point to rotate between businesses so we aren't camping out in the same place 5 days a week. I figured we could get about 1 hour 45 minutes of work time with this option. Plus there would not be the distractions at home. There is also a park not too far away with a covered pavilion and tables that we could on days when the weather allowed. It is a little further from the school than the businesses, but still closer than home.

Option 4

Other: Some combination of the above, some other option I haven't thought of, or blow off school for those two hours and wait until we get home to start (I really don't want to start that late, though; we have a full extra-curricular schedule in the evenings and I would like the kids to have some down time in the afternoon before we head out to lessons and practices).

The closest public library does not open until 10:00, so that isn't an option.

If you were facing this situation, what would you do?

We are in a similar situation except my dd's therapies are from 12-2pm 2 days a week and 2-4 another 2 days a week. I am actually going to using a combination of otion 2 and option 3. The school where dd will be receiving therapies has a small office not currently in use that they wil allow me to use when I want. The advantage is that we will not be where dd can see us and we don't lose travel time. Disadvantage - I don't like the office particularly. It is functional but not really comfortable. However it is free. Maybe your dd's school could offer you something similar.

We will likely do more option 3 than anything. I will try several places to see which is most comfortable, most accomodating, and most conducive to learning. Our Chik-Fil-A is so busy that may not be a good choice. I did today find an obscure donut shop that has their own cup. If we buy the cup and bring it back each time refills are less than anywhere else. And a dozen donut holes are just $1.00.

I hope you find something that works.

Do you have educational CDs the other children can listen to in the car? Or on an iPod? DVD player for history or science videos? Do you have P.E. opportunities in the area, like walking or biking at a park? (Weather permitting, obviously.) It's so early in the morning, but what about local field trip options?

Just thinking of a few 'out-of-the-box' suggestions to break up the week.

Some grocery stores have a little deli area and may not notice/care if you are schooling there.

Do you have a community rec center? Or nature center or public garden space that is open? (And shaded?)

We often school out of the house - and the hangup is often... Bathrooms!

None of the parks in our town have bathrooms. :glare:

I would have to drive right past my neighborhood to get to the rec center or the public gardens, so they wouldn't be of much help. The park I mentioned actually does have bathrooms (really, most of our parks do now that I think about it).

Thanks for all the input! I was thinking that trying to do school away from home might be a crazy idea, so I appreciate the encouragement to think outside the box. :)