Menu

Physical Education ~ INPUT PLEASE!

Hi all~ Here to pick your brains once again! :)

I *REALLY* need some input for this year's phys. ed.

In the past we have done a few programs as money would allow. However, this year, we will have no money for this!

Another thing that we have done was to havet hem get on the Wii Fit or Wii- My Fitness Coach.. and games like it. I don't mind having them do that, BUT I would REALLY like to get them MOVING! They are active- but not nearly as active as... well, you know- when I was a kid... tee hee hee!

I don't know how many of you had those "tests" for phys. ed. the dreaded horrible test, where they measured your fat, and how many pull-ups and junk you could do, but I certainly had that when I was younger. My thoughts are that if they had to do that- they would die!

So................... Is there any book or guide or site- ANYTHING that would help me get these guys into a more rigorous state?

Thanks so much!

Oh- My kids are---- 1 DD 14 yrs, 2 ds 11 yrs and 12 yrs.

Our take on Physics education is to incorporate as much physical activity as possible into our daily life without scheduling specific classes - after all, generations of humans did fine just doing that. We try to bike for errands and to commute to work. We go hiking as a family (almost) every weekend.

Cost free options would be: running, hiking, swimming, biking

Those can be as rigorous as you want.

Neither my kids nor I would like to do situps and pullups and all that stuff - we rather go rock climbing.

Well, here is the link for the fitness challenge:

http://www.fitness.gov/presidents-challenge/about/index.html

(This is also the site to get info on those horrible tests - I have nightmares about them!)

I like that you able to earn rewards for accomplishing goals - just by being active - not taking those tests. The challenge is free; there is a small fee to purchase optional rewards. I earned the gold level in less than a year with just walking (outside) and using a platform step (inside).

I also use a pedometer daily - since April 2009 I've walked over 4 million steps (that does not include the steps on the platform step). Watching those numbers add up is very motivating to me - maybe that can work for your children. I even walk up and down every aisle at the grocery store just to log steps!

Best Wishes

Well, here is the link for the fitness challenge:

http://www.fitness.gov/presidents-challenge/about/index.html

(This is also the site to get info on those horrible tests - I have nightmares about them!)

I like that you able to earn rewards for accomplishing goals - just by being active - not taking those tests. The challenge is free; there is a small fee to purchase optional rewards. I earned the gold level in less than a year with just walking (outside) and using a platform step (inside).

I also use a pedometer daily - since April 2009 I've walked over 4 million steps (that does not include the steps on the platform step). Watching those numbers add up is very motivating to me - maybe that can work for your children. I even walk up and down every aisle at the grocery store just to log steps!

Best Wishes

Great idea! thanks!

My dd, ds and I are up early for a run/walk before school (more walking than anything) three days a week, and my dd and I do pilates and yoga via video from Target on the other days or when the weather is bad--very cheap and very effective for us :)

I've decided to get much more structured about how we approach PE this year b/c I intend to give ds a credit on his transcript for PE 9. He'll do 9 or 10 different units, each on a different activity, and each lasting about a month or so. We're trying to focus on developing skills in those activities that would be considered "life-long" physical activities that he can hopefully continue to do for pleasure and fitness.

For example, we started this summer with a unit on canoeing. (We happen to live near a lake.) We found a couple of books on it, and we alternated reading a chapter or so in the book with going out and putting into practice what we've read about. He keeps a log of the time he spends doing the activity (and the reading). I'm going to base his grade as follows: 50% - "participation" = putting in the time to practice the skills, dressing appropriately, being a good sport, effort, and so forth; 25% - written tests I made up; 25% - proficiency on a skills inventory I made up.

We'll approach other units in a similar manner (tennis, cycling, weight training, basketball, swimming, volleyball). I also plan to work in some health and wellness topics.

The Presidential fitness challenge is a great idea, too.

I've decided to get much more structured about how we approach PE this year b/c I intend to give ds a credit on his transcript for PE 9. He'll do 9 or 10 different units, each on a different activity, and each lasting about a month or so. We're trying to focus on developing skills in those activities that would be considered "life-long" physical activities that he can hopefully continue to do for pleasure and fitness.

For example, we started this summer with a unit on canoeing. (We happen to live near a lake.) We found a couple of books on it, and we alternated reading a chapter or so in the book with going out and putting into practice what we've read about. He keeps a log of the time he spends doing the activity (and the reading). I'm going to base his grade as follows: 50% - "participation" = putting in the time to practice the skills, dressing appropriately, being a good sport, effort, and so forth; 25% - written tests I made up; 25% - proficiency on a skills inventory I made up.

We'll approach other units in a similar manner (tennis, cycling, weight training, basketball, swimming, volleyball). I also plan to work in some health and wellness topics.

The Presidential fitness challenge is a great idea, too.

Then you are creating it yourself?

This is such a great idea!:)

Ds and I can be naturally sluggish, so dh has asked that we add in some PE. We're planning on hiking, walking, and starting on Tai-Chi. I found the Tai-Chi dvd at Sam's a while ago and as we are studying Asian history I thought that would be a nice tie in.

We've also done the President's Challenge in the past and may start that again. We really enjoyed challenging each other.

These are all super ideas! I am making notes of all! I plan to discuss it with the kids soon!

After I posted this question, by two boys rode their nokes around the block, twice. They came back exhausted and said they felt like sleeping! Just gave me more motive to work something in to the schedule!!!

Brindee,

While waiting for Rosie to answer....this might help a bit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_weapon

( I had to look it up too. Then my brain clicked and said, oh yeah... of course) :lol:

-crystal

That's it!

You can make really fancy ones, but pool noodle plugged with pvc pipe and covered with duct tape will do the trick just nicely :) You need to add extra foam padding if you want a thrusting tip, though.

:)

Rosie

We go with a group approach here. I've taught tennis, another mom has run softball games, and a couple moms have been goalies for hockey. The games are open to all the teens here (pick your age group and add friends), but have a couple parents in attendance, and are generally every other Friday afternoon (or whenever). They also play soccer, ultimate frisbee, and whatever else a group can play.

I have two boys 12 and 9, and I try to incorporate some exercise into our days. I map out routes for us to walk or run. I run, without the boys for exercise and mental therapy! However, during school time I include the boys. A walk would be at least 3 miles for us. I can usually get them to go longer if I include a game or good discussion.

Sometimes we play the alphabet game. Someone starts with A and that person needs to look for something along our walk that start with A. For example, acorn. Next person, B, bark. Next C, cat. Not only do the boys get exercise, but we also exercise their brains. Work on the observation skills and creativity. Some letters we will get creative with if we have trouble finding a noun.

I also will play math games as we walk. They boys have fun and before we know it we have went a few miles.

I map out the routes before and measure with the car so that they know and learn distances.

I also do a mile run with them. I start with a walk/run and then keep coaxing them to do more running. We keep time and they look forward to beating their last time.

I also show them how to properly warm up and cool down. This naturally leads to other discussion on the body and how to take care of yourself.

If you make it fun, it will turn into a healthy habit. Plus I see the added benefit of exercise and mental alertness. It all interconnets.

I hope this helps,

Susie

Brindee,

While waiting for Rosie to answer....this might help a bit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_weapon

( I had to look it up too. Then my brain clicked and said, oh yeah... of course) :lol:

-crystal

That's it!

You can make really fancy ones, but pool noodle plugged with pvc pipe and covered with duct tape will do the trick just nicely :) You need to add extra foam padding if you want a thrusting tip, though.

Rosie

Thank you ladies! Wish I would've known this a few years ago! My boys would've loved this!

That's it!

Wow, the things I learn about on this forum! :D

Our Nerf swords are much used by both kids, DH, and all their friends — they will love the idea of making all these different "boffer" weapons! This site has lots of different weapons, rules of combat, etc. Just in time for our medieval studies, too! ;)

Jackie

That's it!

Rosie

I don't even want my boys going here!:lol: They already to go out and re-enact battles and such with their lego weapons.

That said, DS did couch to 5K last year and although he wasn't thrilled with it, he did complete the 5k! It was offerered as an afterschool activity here and open to families as well.

Not sure if they're going to do it this year, but our plan is to go to the gym at least twice a week and he wants to ride his bike more.

Ah, they sound just the right ages to find boffer fighting fun :) That is a cheap hobby :)

Rosie

ROSIE!!!!

Guess what? We made the boffer things! :D Tonight was the kids first night playing at it- but so far- so good! :)

Thanks!

Along these lines. . . anyone have a Boy Scout pursuing the Personal Fitness merit badge? I've been told it can count for a PE credit for high school (which I need - or, I mean, my ds needs ;)), but I'm not sure how much.

Anyone?

I have Boy Scout. I can't speak on the Personal Fitness badge, but I hope he will do that next year.

Do you know Lee Binz, The HomeScholar? She helps parents homeschool highschool. I just talked to her today because my scout has done several hikes this summer (totaling about 100 miles). I wanted to know how I could count it for PE. She said you can pretty much count scouting as a year of PE. You can count up the hours they do it (preparing, traveling, actual 24 hours away) if you want, but in general you can just generalize and count it. In my case I can just put PE on the transcript or be more specific with Hiking and Camping, or Outdoor Education. I hope this gives you some ideas.