Menu

Dr. Hive...Broken toe?

So dh slipped on our wooden steps last night. He said it hurt, but didn't really complain otherwise. this is what it looks like this afternoon.

post-16674-13535083822348_thumb.jpg

post-16674-13535083822678_thumb.jpg

Do you think it's broken at the tip? Should I tape it to the middle toe?

He's a soccer coach...and there is practice tonight! Ugggghhh :confused:

post-16674-13535083822348_thumb.jpg

post-16674-13535083822678_thumb.jpg

Can he bend it? Even a little bit?

I have two permanently broken toes and neither of them bend - at all. Try wiggling the toes - if that toe (above the joint) remains straight it probably is broken. If it flexes at the joint it's probably just bruised.

With my extensive toe breaking experience (I have broken every one of my toes at some point - including all 5 on the left foot at the same time) I would tape it for a couple of days just to be on the safe side.

He can bend it...but not flex it backwards. If it's fractured I'm thinking it's just on the tip, I taped it and he went back to work. I was just shocked at how purple it was!!! He literally just sorta tripped, said "ouch" sat and watched tv. A couple min ago he told me he didn't sleep real well...No Kidding!

Can he bend it? Even a little bit?

I have two permanently broken toes and neither of them bend - at all. Try wiggling the toes - if that toe (above the joint) remains straight it probably is broken. If it flexes at the joint it's probably just bruised.

With my extensive toe breaking experience (I have broken every one of my toes at some point - including all 5 on the left foot at the same time) I would tape it for a couple of days just to be on the safe side.

:iagree: (and I've done all that D.A. writes about BUT i have not broken all 5 on the same foot AT the same time.)

With my extensive toe breaking experience (I have broken every one of my toes at some point - including all 5 on the left foot at the same time)

Geez, WHAT do you do for a living?? Kick bowling balls barefooted? Test out steel-toed boots by dropping stuff on your toes? :D

It is a myth that if you can bend it, it is not broken. I have had broken fingers, toes, arms, etc and was able to move them. I had x-rays to prove it;). It is possible that it is broken. It is highly unlikely they will do much for it unless there is some displacement. I have never seen a broken toe get anything but buddy taping and a recommendation for ice, immobilization, elevation and ibuprofen.

I did break a toe 3 days before a rock climbing trip. I was so bummed and was willing to try anything. I ended up using arnica (a homeopathic remedy) and a poultice of knitbone. 3 days later, I was able to hike 2 miles into the climbing area and climb for 6 hours. My foot was sore, but nothing like it was before I started my regimen.