Menu

The Year, as I planned out.. second guessing...

:eek:

Sometimes I cannot see the forest for the trees.. can I get some feedback on what we are using this year and help seeing where I am overloading and where I am missing?

Child 1, age nearly 6. First Grade. Loves school, seat work. Beginning phonetic reader, struggles with math.

LA: Abeka ( am not 100% thrilled with the program)

Spelling and Poetry 1

Writing with Phonics k4 Cursive (hard for her)

Letters and Sounds 1 seatwork text

Handbook for Reading/Open Windows

Explode the Code 1 1/2 and 2

Right Into Reading 1

LLATL Red Book

FLL

WWE 1

Seems like a WHOLE lot of language arts if you ask me.. but what to shelve and what to use??

Math: Was planning on using Abeka Ariithmetic 1 but am considering switching to Math Mammoth and MUS Primer

History: Winter Promise American Story 1

Science REAL Science 4 Kids prelevel Bio

Typing

Spanish Facile

Doesn't this seem like a whole lot...too much??? One part of me says there is NO way we can get this done without going insane..

Child 2: age 9, grade 4.. would prefer to play video games all day :lol:.. very smart.. poor fine motor control.

LA:

Explode the Code 6

LLATL Purple

Abeka Language A writing and Grammer

Spelling Workout C

Handwriting.. still struggling with abeka cursive grade 2

Math: Math Mammoth, some MUS for areas that he's struggling with and considering Teaching Textbooks 4 (computer presentation enthralls him.. hoping this will make math less of a "fight")

History: Winter Promise American Crossing

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Biology 1

Typing

Foreign Language?

This seems lacking.. what am I missing????????

They both take Piano too.. participate in group sports in fall and spring, and DD takes ballet.

Child 3: Age 3 1/2.. preschooly stuff.. crafts, letters, games..

So.. lay it on me (nicely please :tongue_smilie:) what do I need to Ax.. and Add

Guest Cindie2dds

You do have quite a bit of language arts for the 1st grader. You said you didn't like Abeka's LAs, so I would drop that. :) You still have plenty without it, IMHO. Also, I think cursive in 1st is a little much, but I'm not classical. I wouldn't push cursive that young if she's not enjoying it.

Ok.. if I take out the Abeka.. add in Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (second part of it)..and keep LLATL Red and ETC.. will that cover all her bases? (also using bob books etc as readers)

AND

If I am using LLATL Purple for my 4th Grader.. do you think I need Abeka Language Arts (God's Gift of Language A) as well?? (keeping ETC and literature readers).. Does he need more Grammer etc?? We have used FLL in the past (#3 last year) and felt like it just got too much.. so detailed etc..

I could add WWE back in for him.. though he HATES to write due to his fine motor difficulties

Edited by ChantyD3

Guest Cindie2dds

Wow, those are great questions! I'm bumping this up for someone else to answer because I'm probably lighter on LAs than most. I have a very reluctant writer because she has "little sausage finger" syndrome. This is one of the reasons I don't lean classical in the early years.

Friendly bump. :D

Ok.. if I take out the Abeka.. add in Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (second part of it)..and keep LLATL Red and ETC.. will that cover all her bases? (also using bob books etc as readers)

AND

If I am using LLATL Purple for my 4th Grader.. do you think I need Abeka Language Arts (God's Gift of Language A) as well?? (keeping ETC and literature readers).. Does he need more Grammer etc?? We have used FLL in the past (#3 last year) and felt like it just got too much.. so detailed etc..

I could add WWE back in for him.. though he HATES to write due to his fine motor difficulties

My opinion is DROP LLATL Purple. I'm not sure about Abeka as I have never used it. But I think LLATL moves too slowly and doesn't emphasize enough practice with grammar. There is some good stuff in the book but my guess is an all-in-one program like Abeka will include most of that as well?

Rod and Staff English

or Christian Light Education Language Arts 4

Chrisitan Light Education is a complete Language Arts program. Rod and Staff English is just grammar.

I'm not sure how well it works with Explode the Code as I have no experience at that grade level.