Menu

how do I balance these two strong interests?

Oldest daughter is

1. share timing cosmo at the local tech-she wants to have a paying job when she graduates to pay for college. (cosmo is very chemistry heavy-to the point of it not being a requirement for graduation)

2. She is artistically gifted. Not like, ohh hunny, what a pretty stick figure! But being a finalist in teen arts, getting articles in the paper and her art teacher asking for her to be a teacher's assistant.

3. she loves science. She recently read a DNA book ( voluntarily and outlined it, too) and wants to go to John Jay for forensics.

four people have given her huge art sets over the summer. She only saw art as a hobby, something she liked to do, but now is considering going to college for art, too. I mean, could she pick two more diametrically opposed subjects? :tongue_smilie:

She says she wants to major in both and see how they go...:confused:

Can you either :

A. talk me off the wall

B. Tell me how to make this happen for this kid?

What would you do?

The first thought that came to my mind when I read your post was the TV show Bones. Angela, a character in the show, is an artist who is able to do renderings of people/murder weapons based on a few bones, etc. I have no idea what that type of career is called, but it seems soooo interesting! It puts science and art together.

!

Just wish the producers of Bones would leave off the s*x and stick with the mystery!

Edited by CynthiaOK

The younger sister of a high school friend (she's now in her late 30s) is a medical illustrator. She actually works for a big publishing house in NYC, after working in Philadelphia and other cities. She attended a university, not an art school. I think it was Syracuse but my memory might be fuzzy on that.

She loved science but didn't want to "do" it for a career :)

How about something like this - Medical Illustration? This is a Master's level program, but it might help spark an idea for you.

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept23119/files/108960.html

Wow, I had no idea!

The first thought that came to my mind when I read your post was the TV show Bones. Angela, a character in the show, is an artist who is able to do renderings of people/murder weapons based on a few bones, etc. I have no idea what that type of career is called, but it seems soooo interesting! It puts science and art together.

!

Just with the producers of Bones would leave off the s*x and stick with the mystery!

She LOVES Bones and NCIS.

The younger sister of a high school friend (she's now in her late 30s) is a medical illustrator. She actually works for a big publishing house in NYC, after working in Philadelphia and other cities. She attended a university, not an art school. I think it was Syracuse but my memory might be fuzzy on that.

She loved science but didn't want to "do" it for a career :)

huh, I wonder how she blended that? She took art classes, too?