Menu

I made crockpot oatmeal overnight...

And it worked! You know how it usually comes out like a burned brick? I added a can of cranberry sauce & cranberries instead of raisins. I think 1/2 a can would have been more appropriate, but hey. The kids were arguing over what kind of pie it tastes like.

(On a side note, if I were to double this, could I freeze half & reheat another morning?)

I think I got this from somebody here on the boards:

Grease the inside of the crock (they're not kidding--the top edge burns pretty badly)

4c milk

1/2c brown sugar

2T butter, melted

1/2t salt

1t cinnamon (I used more & added nutmeg)

2c oats

2c chopped apple (I chopped them really fine, used 2 apples, didn't measure; applesauce would probably give a similar effect but no lovely baked chunks of apple-pie-ness)

1c raisins (blech--I used cranberries)

1c chopped walnuts (that would have been awesome, but I didn't have any)

I added a can of cranberry sauce; half a can would probably have been better.

Stir. Cook on low just before going to bed. This is important. Try to wait till midnight if you can. This really only wants to cook for about 5 hrs, but I turned ours off at 7:30 & it was fine. It was probably perfect at 5. Maybe you could go for an early morning bathroom run & flip it to "warm." It overcooks faster than you'd think.

I made it a couple of times last winter using Steel Cut Oats. They become less cement-like than old fashion. Also I preferred adding the fruit (apple, cranberries, raisins, pears) right when I got up, so they only cooked about 45 minutes before we ate them. They were not as mushy as when cooked overnight.

Cook on low just before going to bed. This is important. Try to wait till midnight if you can. This really only wants to cook for about 5 hrs, but I turned ours off at 7:30 & it was fine. It was probably perfect at 5. Maybe you could go for an early morning bathroom run & flip it to "warm." It overcooks faster than you'd think.

I guess this has always been my problem with crock oatmeal. I go to bed at 10 and get a solid 9 hours! :eek: Once I have a newborn, I should be able to turn it on during a nursing . . .;)

I make mine during the day, and then keep it in a tupperware in the fridge. We have staggered morning times here (different work/school schedules). People can reheat in the microwave as needed (or eat it cold!). It's often eaten as a snack, too. No need to freeze - it lasts a few days. I got a smaller crock-pot so I could do smaller batches more frequently, to keep it fresh. I usually do an apple/raisin/brown sugar/cinnamon recipe. I have found I don't need to peel the apples, which speeds up the prep. I always use milk as the liquid, as that's how I grew up - hate that watery stuff.

I'd love to hear about other fruit combination possibilities - has anyone tried peaches? Plums?