Menu

Well, she's gone and in her new "home"

Halftime Hope

I didn't know what to expect or how I'd handle the day. I normally get teary *very* easily, and she and I had both been in tears at various points over the last fews days, as was ds3.

But the day was beautiful and so busy! She was exhausted in the late afternoon, so we went to dinner and took her new roomie along, then dropped her back off at the dorm, hugged her tightly goodbye, and left. She was to go back and take a nap, instead of going to the outdoor faculty "meet and greet" thing. (We'd already met a number of her faculty and mentors during our campus "due diligence" visits.) So we ended up skipping the scheduled "parents say good-bye" time altogether. Her roomie was in the same boat, as her family had come and gone when they dropped her off early for cheer camp last week, so B wasn't alone with no family.

Ds3 (15 yo) drove most of the way home, so the focus was on the excitement of his first long highway driving experience (and the adrenaline rush when he made several mistakes :driving::ohmy: )

Survived it...need a t-shirt!

Just wanted to give you a hug today.

:grouphug:

I know when our exchange student left the hardest times for me were after the actual day she left, and she was only with us for one year! I'm expecting more of the same VERY soon. I'm going to try to stay focused on how happy he is...

Yolanda, dansamy explained it quite well...ds has his permit and we (mostly dh this last time) are doing parent taught driver's ed. (Less gray hairs earned than if he went to commercial DE...) It's a big deal when they are finally 18 and get their DL that is horizontally oriented instead of the graduated DL which is vertically oriented, thus instantly flagging them as inexperienced. LOL

Best wishes to each of you as you undergo your "partial heart transplant." :grouphug:

Guest Barb B

:grouphug: You have me teary eyed and ds won't do this till next year! What will happen to me next year if I am already getting teary eyed!

Barb

Well, we dropped DD off and settled her into her dorm. We met her roommate and her family too. They had driven from across the state, so I told roommate's mom that we would take good care of her DD. That her DD was welcome in our home whenever she and DD wanted a home-cooked meal. I'm hoping they will come at least once a month, but we'll see. We're a little over an hour away, far enough to give DD her freedom, but close enough if she needs us.

DD and I both got teary eyed saying goodbye. I know she'll do just fine. Of course, that didn't stop me from emailing her as soon as I got home. LOL

:grouphug:

It's one down, one to go around here. I'm trying to sound real casual about it so I don't cry.

AND THEN...ds gets his driver's license next week. How much can a mother take?

I know how you feel; I woke up feeling very confident this morning and ready for the day. Tonight I have been crying off and on. This is going to be a big adjustment for me as well.

In addition to all that, everyone else (except for my dh) has started back at school this week. My middle daughter will graduate in 2012, and the youngest a few years after that. It's hard to imagine going through this two more times! Indeed--how much more can a mother take?

I was in your shoes last fall. Youngest dd went off to college 9 hours away and I know that I cried for 6 weeks. I mourned for the early years of being a mom to my 3 little girls and the house was so quiet. I couldn't go in her room and the piano was soooo silent! I found that I even missed how she left the bathroom in a huge mess and no shoes or back pack left on the living room floor. Then, the tears kind of slowed down and I "remet' my dh and things got better. DD was home for 3 weeks at the beginning of the summer and then traveled in a music group for the university for 9 weeks. She has been home for one week and tomorrow flies back to school. I will miss her again but I have found when life changes eventually you adjust. However, I know those deep sad feeling and feel for you all in the transition. Hugs!

Mine's in his dorm now. We left him a little earlier (in the day) than expected as he was simply ready for it. He's very happy. We're starting our new life with our two others. Two caches down - another day of [geo]caching on the way home tomorrow - through KY this time - a different route than we've been taking here. Hubby and middle son are plotting the route now.

Time will tell how it all feels tomorrow. Right now our motel room looks out to his college and I still get wistful while remembering how happy I am for him. He's DEFINITELY in the right place for him though. I look forward to watching him fly. But it's definitely different at "home."

Hugs Valerie and to all of you dropping kids off this week! What a blessing; what a privilege we have had to invest in them every single day. What a rich, sweet storehouse of memories -- all those character building moments, gap-toothed smiles, bear hugs, tickle kisses, late-night read alouds, warm days inside while the school bus trucked off with the neighbors. My sadness that one chapter is over is mixed with deep satisfaction of how that chapter read. I really, really liked that chapter. And I can only trust that God will be faithful and that the chapters to come are equally good.

Lisa

I'm getting all teary-eyed hearing you and thinking of my two oldest ones leaving in two years. And I know they'll both likely be across the country. <sigh> I know it needs to happen but I absolutely love having them around!! Thank you for sharing this -- another reminder to embrace each day! :)

Hugs Valerie and to all of you dropping kids off this week! What a blessing; what a privilege we have had to invest in them every single day. What a rich, sweet storehouse of memories -- all those character building moments, gap-toothed smiles, bear hugs, tickle kisses, late-night read alouds, warm days inside while the school bus trucked off with the neighbors. My sadness that one chapter is over is mixed with deep satisfaction of how that chapter read. I really, really liked that chapter. And I can only trust that God will be faithful and that the chapters to come are equally good.

Lisa

You've captured my feelings perfectly. Off to find a kleenex....

My sadness that one chapter is over is mixed with deep satisfaction of how that chapter read. I really, really liked that chapter. And I can only trust that God will be faithful and that the chapters to come are equally good.

Lisa

Especially this parts sums it all up perfectly.

As I wake up this morning after, there's a bit of a hole in our family, but time passes and he's happy to be off writing his new chapter. I'm looking forward to seeing what he writes, but I'm kind of glad we planned this return vacation day with our other two to keep the day going better instead of just taking the same roads on the long trip home. I now fully know why my mom cried both when I left home to attend college and when I got married. I also now know how quickly the time is going to fly by. It's only 4 years till my youngest is the one we're dropping off. He, of course, would love to be the one we're leaving NOW!

Lisa

You summed it up perfectly.