Menu

I don't think I will ever be happy!!!

amys

With my curriculum choices, that is, not with life itself! I make a plan, buy stuff, and then keep reading and researching. Eventually I become disenchanted with something I've purchased, thinking, "Oh, I should have gotten ____ instead." Second-guessing, buyer's remorse, curriculum addiction...I don't know exactly what to call it, but at some point in time I just need to say, "ENOUGH!"

Agh!

Amy

...and then keep reading and researching.

And there is your answer. Some people make their final plan and then stop coming to this board and hang out on the general one instead. It's hard but it can be done. Every program has it's pros and cons. We do hear from some people who have a program that fits their child so great that it was almost like it was written for them, but I bet that's rare. I hear way more many stories of the things in programs that aren't working. It doesn't mean you can't work with it. You just have to modify it to be what you want, but allow it to be your starting point. I learned to only change programs if it was really bad. I hopped curriculum so much that my youngest begged me to be consistent. How's that for a wake-up call?? :lol:

And there is your answer. Some people make their final plan and then stop coming to this board and hang out on the general one instead. It's hard but it can be done. Every program has it's pros and cons. We do hear from some people who have a program that fits their child so great that it was almost like it was written for them, but I bet that's rare. I hear way more many stories of the things in programs that aren't working. It doesn't mean you can't work with it. You just have to modify it to be what you want, but allow it to be your starting point. I learned to only change programs if it was really bad.

:iagree: I make a rule (or rather my dh does, but I do agree) that I have to actually use the curriculum for half a year before I decide if it's not working. This has saved me from curriculum hopping several times, besides the grass is not always greener :).

I'm trying to tell myself that what I have is FINE, and I chose it for a reason. "Good enough is good enough!" :) There's always next year for a different curriculum. Now, if only I could decide about my 13yo's history studies, I could stop thinking about this entirely--for now!

BTDT. You just need to discipline yourself after you have made a purchase....to give it a fair chance and while you are giving it a fair chance you do not seek out other curriculum. I had what I would call a curriculum research and buying addiction. It was a heart issue I was convicted of - and it hurt! For ME, it was a means of escape from the demaning realities of my life. It ws easier to spend time checking email, reading the boards, researching curriculum to death and buying and selling etc. I still spend time online, but I am not doing the same things I used to do. I also am slowly but surely selling through my curriculum stock that I spent thousands of dollars on!! I also only change something when what I am doing truly isn't working and after I have given it a real chance with real effort put in.

I hope you find the thing that works and something you will stick with. Good luck!

curriculum will never make you happy. It will never replace the need for you to be the teacher.

Imagine the old, one-room school house teachers with the one math book, one speller, one reader.... They used what they had and they taught the kids. Use what you have. At the end of the year, evaluate how it worked and then research and plan for the next year.

I have a terrific IRL homeschool-mom friend that has been homeschooling her son so far from K through 3 and has not yet bought a single thing - they just didn't have the money. SHe has used a combination of stuff that was given to her or she found free on the internet or from the library for 4 years and has start 4th still without buying anything. She puts the time into making what she has work. I keep trying to be more like her.

Edited by Karen in CO

And there is your answer. Some people make their final plan and then stop coming to this board and hang out on the general one instead. It's hard but it can be done.

I don't stop hanging out, but I deliberately don't open threads that deal with areas that we're happy with or subjects that we're doing in the current school year. Next year is fair game. ;)

You know I always feel a little envious when I read about people buying all sorts of things that I just do not have the resources for myself. This thread has made me see a positive side to my situation. I don't have the option to make too many changes and must make do, mostly, with what I can borrow etc. But the silver lining seems to be less angst, at least in which thing to use.

Guest Cindie2dds

I second-guessed myself all last year. This place can be dangerous if you are unsure at all! I hope you find peace. I just now let myself come back to the K-8 board. :lol:

Edited by Cindie2dds

I understand how you're feeling. Even though I have everything purchased and ready to go I keep obsessively checking here to see what other people are using and how they're liking what they're using. I'm already feeling a little unsure about TT, but I'm telling myself it's okay, a lot of people here *do* like it and if I want we can change it out next year.