Menu

UTI in girls - home remedies?

Ok, ladies - even though I have 4 daughters, we rarely suffer from UTI's around here. It's a blessing, I know.

BUT.

Last night, dd9 was up until 1:30 am, unable to sleep b/c she had to keep "going". I've wondered if something was going on - she's been going to the bathroom a bunch lately - but until last night she insisted nothing was wrong.

So. . . . what do I do? I really, really DON'T want to go to the dr. Yet. (We have no insurance, and no $$ to boot) Warm soaks in the tub, yes? Cranberry juice? Tylenol for the pain?

Any great remedies out there?

I'd take her in to a minute clinic or see if your pharmacy has that sort of "quick check up." I had a UTI on vacation--starts with frequency, progresses to burning, intolerable, scream-inducing pain (shudder). Well, maybe not that bad, but it sure felt like it at Disneyland.

You can give AZO over the counter UTI pills, but they will color the urine and make it hard for the Dr to see the bacteria. They do give relief, but it is only symptomatic, not a cure.

Since she's been going frequently for a while, and says there's no pain, perhaps it isn't a UTI. I'd check how much she is drinking--and honestly, I'd take her to the Dr to rule out things like diabetes (I know that's quite a jump, but if she's been urinating frequently, showing more thirst, etc., I'd just want to be on the safe side. I can be the queen of denial, myself, so forgive me if this sounds over the top.)

I have always been told that tubs can cause or exacerbate UTIs. I would stop those immediately. I don't think cranberry juice could hurt, and it would possibly help, but if she shows any signs of pain or develops a fever, I would run to the doctor. UTIs can get out of hand quickly.

When I was a peds nurse on a renal floor, the main Dr. insisted that the best treatment for a mild UTI in a young female was WATER. I have averted several infections by drinking 8oz of water every 30 minutes. Cranberry juice will help too, but you need to stay away from the kind with extra sugar. Also, eliminate sugar, citrus, and starchy foods for a few days.

If she gets a fever, flank pain, or nausea, I would take her to a Dr.

Due to my love of all the things I've listed in the "things to avoid", I get chronic UTIs. Cranberry juice will not help if the infection is already there. What I do when I feel one coming on, is take vitamin C, and drink tons of water. I also keep Cystix on hand for the pain. Cystix does not color the urine, and it will give you instant relief until you can get into the doctor. A trip to the doctor (with labs) will run you about $125 if you don't have insurance. It's worth the money if you think she has a UTI because it can spread quickly to her kidneys if not treated. And kidney infections are no fun.

Some things to avoid to prevent UTIs include:

No hot tubs or bath tubs - and absolutely NO bubble baths of any kind

Chocolate

Caffeine

Blue cheese

Soda

Spicy foods

There are a few other things (having to do with "tea time") that would not apply to your DD, so I won't list those.

Some things to do to prevent UTIs:

Drink lots of water.

Take vitamin C tablets/pills

Drink cranberry or orange juice

Showers instead of baths

Wiping from 'front to back'

I hope your DD feels better soon.

If the only symptom is going frequently and there is no pain, burning, etc. I would take her to the doctor. Increased thirst and urination is often the major symptom of an onset of Type I diabetes. If it is diabetes, the blood sugar is really high by the time it starts to cause those symptoms and is a medical emergency. Is she hungrier than usual? Tired?

If you have a friend with diabetes, you can test her blood sugar yourself. they can put a new needle into the thing they stick themselves with and then test a drop of her blood on a meter. If you don't have the ability to do that, I would go to the doctor, even though it would be a financial hardship. It's too much to risk. Even a UTI is nothing to sneeze at and if this has been going on for days, then it might be best to go to a physician. Is there a low cost clinic nearby?

In addition to water, water, and MORE water (to keep flushing the urinary tract), plain (no sugars/fruits) yogurt (orally and/or topically) can help, especially if it's early on. UTIs can eventually travel up to the bladder and cause a bladder infection, which is more serious, so I would suggest calling the doctor if she doesn't improve within 24 hours. HTH

Due to my love of all the things I've listed in the "things to avoid", I get chronic UTIs. Cranberry juice will not help if the infection is already there. What I do when I feel one coming on, is take vitamin C, and drink tons of water. I also keep Cystix on hand for the pain. Cystix does not color the urine, and it will give you instant relief until you can get into the doctor. A trip to the doctor (with labs) will run you about $125 if you don't have insurance. It's worth the money if you think she has a UTI because it can spread quickly to her kidneys if not treated. And kidney infections are no fun.

Some things to avoid to prevent UTIs include:

No hot tubs or bath tubs - and absolutely NO bubble baths of any kind

Chocolate

Caffeine

Blue cheese

Soda

Spicy foods

There are a few other things (having to do with "tea time") that would not apply to your DD, so I won't list those.

Some things to do to prevent UTIs:

Drink lots of water.

Take vitamin C tablets/pills

Drink cranberry or orange juice

Showers instead of baths

Wiping from 'front to back'

I hope your DD feels better soon.

I completely agree! I have also suffered from chronic UTIs and that is the same list of what I need to avoid as well. Definitely drink LOTS of water. I have also found it helpful to take a cranberry supplement. If you get the cranberry juice, make sure it's 100% juice and not mostly sugar water or a cocktail. I would sometimes just buy cranberries and heat them a little... doesn't taste that great but it worked!

Thanks, Ladies for all your help!

She's sleeping now. . . . . (ETA: she's up now!)

Really, I could bet on this NOT being Diabetes. She's not thirstier than usual, she's just having pain when she urinates and is going a little more often than usual. She says it's worse at night. . . . probably b/c she's my go-go-go energy kid, and she finally slows down then.

We're going to go with drinking lots of water, tylenol for pain, a little cranberry juice, and keep an eye on it. If she's worse tomorrow, or has any fever, I'll take her in.

ETA: I just realized something. This started last week, when we were going to the local YMCA pretty frequently to swim. They're really good about caring for their pools, but could the sudden increase in swimming activity have an effect?

Google "over the counter UTI test." Looks like you can test at home to see if she has a UTI.

As far as I know there is no way to cure a UTI other than medicine. (Or at least I've never been able to :glare:) I could drink a lot of water, and it would help cut down on the pain, but it never cured it. Oddly enough, the more water you drink, the more you pee, but the less pain you feel. It washes away enough of the bacteria (I guess) to cut back on the pain. But when I would stop drinking, the pain would come raging back.

And, usually UTI's HURT. A LOT. UTI pain is such that I would pee and break out in a sweat from the pain. You can't fake breaking out in a sweat.

So, if she starts to hurt, also get an OTC pain reliever just for UTI's--often near the tampons and stuff. Not with the regular medicine. Don't know why. (The OTC tests are probably there, too.) Tylenol and such won't work.

This started last week, when we were going to the local YMCA pretty frequently to swim. They're really good about caring for their pools, but could the sudden increase in swimming activity have an effect?

I absolutely think that swimming in chlorinated pools can increase the risk of a UTI. From what I've read, it predisposes you to infection by lowering the acidity "down there".