Menu

Please tell me my boys aren't the only ones who scream like crazy ppl

in public parks! We just got back from the park in town and we almost had the police called on us.

Here's what happened: My 15 yr. old step-ds put my 9 yr. old ds over his shoulder and began to spin him. 9 y/o started SCREAMING: "STOP! STOP! IT HURTS!" I told 15 y/o to put 9 y/o down. That was that.

About 2 minutes later a lady that I assume lives next to the park came over (with phone in hand) and pointed to my 4 y/o dd. She asked if dd was hurt because she heard screaming. Well, you could tell dd wasn't hurt. I told her exactly what happened and she looked skeptical. She said, "Oh my god, it sounded like someone was REALLY hurt!".

Now, I appreciate her concern. Really, I do. Someone *could* have been hurt. But, her attitude came off as if I was lying and was hurting my children:001_huh:.

The boys started getting loud again, so we left. I certainly didn't want the Police showing up:glare:. Then, of course I felt embarrassed, so I over-reacted in lecturing the kids on the way home and now feel dumb for over-reacting...SIGH!

Am I the only one who this stuff happens to?

Picture 4 kids and two grown ups jammed in an old VW squareback, the summer of '63, in SW Spain. Car only seats 5, so one son is spread eagle over the suitcases in back. We are on the road for 60 days. Tired, hot mother is in back between bucktoothed 14 year old and antsy 5 year old (me), trying to keep the peace. Brother is reaching around her and pinching me. Mother pulls back arm to punch him in the biceps and gets 5 year old in nose instead. Blood everywhere. We stop, back of VW up, mother sitting on the bumper in the hot sun with child across her lap with tissues compressed on nose and something cold on the back of her neck (my mother's cure for nosebleed). Motorcycle cop appears. Brother 14 and 15 have had Spanish and are bright and possess a Bit of the Old Nick. Tell cop, in Spanish, a tale of woe and abuse. Cop scowls harder and harder. Mother barks at kids to straighten up and fly right. Boys burst into laughter, tell cop the truth, angry cop drives off thinking Stinkin Americanos.

This was also the summer they stole an ashtray from every restaurant and hotel we stopped at, and my father discovered how heavy their suitcase was in Le Harve before we got on the SS Franconia, and they had to leave them all in the hotel closet.

Oh, oh, oh, I remember another brother, bored by It's a Small, Small World at Disney land, 1968, screaming through the whole ride, pretending he was terrified. He was 14.

Edited by kalanamak

Wow...I am glad people don't live near our park. My sons and their friend were playing today and my son was screaming things like "get down, the enemy is coming....bam bam bam" "hurry everyone, get in the ship, they are going to kill us!" They were playing pirate or something or other, but both of us mommas were looking at each other and laughing at their crazy antics.

Hmm...to answer your original question - no, it is not only boys who get loud at the park...but for Heaven's sake...it is a park...OUTSIDE. Isn't that where kids are SUPPOSED to be loud and play?

Picture 4 kids and two grown ups jammed in an old VW squareback, the summer of '63, in SW Spain. Car only seats 5, so one son is spread eagle over the suitcases in back. We are on the road for 60 days. Tired, hot mother is in back between bucktoothed 14 year old and antsy 5 year old (me), trying to keep the peace. Brother is reaching around her and pinching me. Mother pulls back arm to punch him in the biceps and gets 5 year old in nose instead. Blood everywhere. We stop, back of VW up, mother sitting on the bumper in the hot sun with child across her lap with tissues compressed on nose and something cold on the back of her neck (my mother's cure for nosebleed). Motorcycle cop appears. Brother 14 and 15 have had Spanish and are bright and possess a Bit of the Old Nick. Tell cop, in Spanish, a tale of woe and abuse. Cop scowls harder and harder. Mother barks at kids to straighten up and fly right. Boys burst into laughter, tell cop the truth, angry cop drives off thinking Stinkin Americanos.

This was also the summer they stole an ashtray from every restaurant and hotel we stopped at, and my father discovered how heavy their suitcase was in Le Harve before we got on the SS Franconia, and they had to leave them all in the hotel closet.

Oh what a neat childhood...the punch in the nose wasn't too neat, but traveling all over spain with your family...WAY COOL!

That is absolutely hilarious.

Oh, oh, oh, I remember another brother, bored by It's a Small, Small World at Disney land, 1968, screaming through the whole ride, pretending he was terrified. He was 14.

Oh my! That is awesome (well, maybe not for your parents...but it wasn't me, lol).

Wow...I am glad people don't live near our park. My sons and their friend were playing today and my son was screaming things like "get down, the enemy is coming....bam bam bam" "hurry everyone, get in the ship, they are going to kill us!" They were playing pirate or something or other, but both of us mommas were looking at each other and laughing at their crazy antics.

Hmm...to answer your original question - no, it is not only boys who get loud at the park...but for Heaven's sake...it is a park...OUTSIDE. Isn't that where kids are SUPPOSED to be loud and play?

:lol::lol:--Also sounds like something my boys would say during play. Yes, kids ARE supposed to be loud and play at parks (or so I thought). I can understand her concern, but...:001_huh:

Nope...Your kids are NOT the only ones who scream...my 3 scream on the top of their lungs all the time...and they play those army games. Constant shooting and grenade launching...of course, "play" sound affects! All the kids are in my yard, so my house looks like the crazy one! :)

The main rule of the house, is no going outside before 12(noon) around here. I don't want to scare the elderly woman across the street into thinking the Germans are coming...some times its like a real life Risk game going on out there!!

Don't worry about it! Kids are only kids once!

I don't know if it stops when they're adults. Every time DH and his brothers get together, things get loud and physical and interesting (and now that one is a bomb squad tech, and another is a computer science wiz...a whole lot more dangerous). They're 31, 30, and 24.

Screaming and playing at a park is totally the norm. Like the poster already said: I too am glad someone reacted to a possible problem. I'm also glad she took it a step further by checking and making her presence known, KWIM? I'd hate to know that someone was yelling 'stop it that hurts' and everyone wrote it off as 'probably nothing'. Her seeming distrust might have been just posturing to check things out, making sure no one was truly hurt and being pressured not to say anything.

I'm guessing she wouldn't have reacted to normal 'play talk'...pirates, war etc. This reminds me of how, at the pool, kids are taught to never scream or call for help in play. Maybe a code word for "I'm serious, stop now" would be helpful in the future. I doubt anyone would get too concerned about a kid firmly shouting "MAC AND CHEESE!"

Edited by happi duck

I don't know if it stops when they're adults. Every time DH and his brothers get together, things get loud and physical and interesting (and now that one is a bomb squad tech, and another is a computer science wiz...a whole lot more dangerous). They're 31, 30, and 24.

yeah...this is how I ended up with a butt-sized (and shaped) dent in the drywall of my kitchen...

When we were having my sons tested this summer, my 3yo had a temper tantrum in the bathroom. For about 3 minutes she screamed at the absolute top of her lungs. She is LOUD!

The head of the clinic that was testing the boys threw us out. She made us stay outside in the FL afternoon sun (in late June.):glare: So, I sat outside with my 1yo, 3yo, and 6yo for awhile until it started to thunderstorm.

We did go back in, but I wanted to leave and never go back.