Menu

Is there a site that has sp. needs curriculum choices/reviews?

I'm still trying to piece together curriculum for 4 kiddos in 4 grades, two with special needs and I'm going :willy_nilly: round in circles.

My biggest concern is for my youngest ds6. We did some kinder last year but he still is not at first grade level. He has a VERY short attention span. He doesn't understand abstract concepts and his fuse is about as short as a bug's nose.

I was hoping to find somewhere that lists and/or reviews curriculum for learning disabilities (and/or other challenges):confused:

I think for me, I would just stick to the basics and take lots of breaks. I used to tell my son "you need to finish a, b & c then we will take a break and you can play for 10 minutes." Since I have to break things down so much with my son, I use Lukes Lists . This helps me to cover the things that he won't pick up on naturally.

T

Is your son going to be in K or 1st grade?

My son has language-based lds. When he was in K, I used Funnix for reading, which he really enjoyed. It is a computer-based reading program that is supposed to be very good for children with lds and it has a lot of fun graphics. You sit with the child and do the lesson with him. I started him with RS A in kindergarten, but moved to Rod & Staff by first grade because RS was too conceptual for him. We did SL Pre-K (everything except their language arts). He loves me to read to him.

When he was in first grade, I used SL K (again, everything except their language arts) as well as Spell to Write and Read for spelling/reading, and R&S Math. I think I was using Handwriting without Tears at that time, but if I had to go back and do it again, I would have taught him cursive before print. He never really became fluent in print and has become so much more fluent with cursive after using it just one year.

The only other thing I can think of (which was a real boost to his ego) was CC's memory work. He was very good at that and was so proud at being able to recite so much history and science.

I'm sure I did more because I always went overboard with this kid, but if I had to do over, I would have stuck to the basics and the read-alouds and kept the day short and sweet.

I've mentioned R&S Math as a good program for children who struggle, but I have heard many good things about MUS as well.

Lisa

Thank you both :) Technically we already did K last year BUT we moved so slow that we didn't finish the year with him knowing everything he needed to. I don't feel comfortable moving to a 1st grade curriculum but I don't want to re do all of K again if that makes sense.

He struggles in all subjects not just reading. He has a hard time with memory too so it makes learning and retaining difficult. I'm looking into Math U See right now and Miquon math. Both seem pretty conducive to struggling students.

I'm also leaning towards Explode the Code for phonics. We need to work on small goals too because I don't want to overwhelm him with lots of subjects, yk?

I'm still trying to piece together curriculum for 4 kiddos in 4 grades, two with special needs and I'm going :willy_nilly: round in circles.

My biggest concern is for my youngest ds6. We did some kinder last year but he still is not at first grade level. He has a VERY short attention span. He doesn't understand abstract concepts and his fuse is about as short as a bug's nose.

I was hoping to find somewhere that lists and/or reviews curriculum for learning disabilities (and/or other challenges):confused:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for (these are books/dvd's rather than a website with reviews. I found them really helpful, though (I have two special needs kids and at one point felt like I was going around in circles also :tongue_smilie:). They are Protestant Christian writers, FYI.

Sharon Hensley - "Homeschooling Children With Special Needs" and also "Program Planning For the Special Needs Child"

http://avcsbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100&products_id=628&zenid=mqr7qkvpvum2pve3s0444ttbq6

http://avcsbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100&products_id=631&zenid=mqr7qkvpvum2pve3s0444ttbq6

Joyce Herzog - "Choosing and Using Curriculum", and "Timeless Teaching Tips"

http://www.joyceherzog.info/Joyce_Herzog/Teacher_Helps.html

If you haven't read The Mislabeled Child, I highly recommend it. The authors are medical doctors who homeschooled their kids for several years because of learning disabilities. The book has a good balance of medical/brain science and practical information.

Edited by LizzyBee

I think for me, I would just stick to the basics and take lots of breaks. I used to tell my son "you need to finish a, b & c then we will take a break and you can play for 10 minutes." Since I have to break things down so much with my son, I use Lukes Lists . This helps me to cover the things that he won't pick up on naturally.

T

What exactly is Luke's List?