Menu

According to Proverbs 20:30

I should beat DS until he behaves right :D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Proverbs 20:30 (New International Version)

Blows and wounds cleanse away evil,

and beatings purge the inmost being

Disclaimer: I do not intended to beat him until he behaves. I don't think I am that strong.

Wow. I've never noticed anything in the Bible that I was *certain* I disagreed w/. There are things I question, hope are symbolic, etc.

But we know statistically what happens to the abused: they become abusers.

Huh.

Before it gets out of hand I am not going to hit/beat/spank or physically do anything else to my son. It has just been one of those days.

Growing up I always heard my mom say I am going to beat that out of you (she never did :D ) I just read that and thought it was funny.

The great thing about Proverbs is you can't really take them out out of context.

I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for saying this, but yeah, there is some hilarious stuff in the Old Testament - especially Leviticus, Genesis, etc. My personal favorite was the guy named Nimrod. There was always sumpin weird happening to somebody in Genesis. :confused:

In all seriousness, though, I try to focus on the Sermon on the Mount and specific things Jesus said. If you read his conversations with the rabbis, he basically refutes a lot of the Old Testament rules and tells them to have some common sense. When my daughter asks about something like that, I tell her that it was just a violent, scary, different world back then. That probably makes the most sense to me.

No beatings!!! (or stonings)

I know but somedays I just want to hit him in the head and ask if he actually uses that big old brain of his. I personally thing it is in there so that we can show the kids and tell them "See the Bible says I can do this boy so you better fly right."

However instead of beating him about the head and shoulders I am making him scrub the kitchen while I hide on the WTM forum :D

I think Cadam is correct in her conclusion that it's about criminal punishment, not about children. She's also correct that Proverbs are just that: proverbs, general observations. For instance, Prov 21: 14A gift in secret subdues anger, And a bribe in the bosom, strong wrath." There are many other proverbs indicating that bribes are wrong, but in one sense it is true (though not commanded) that bribes work; they also have other negative effects.

Another example is Prov. 26; 4Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him.

5Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes.

It's kind of an ancient: Darned if you do; darned if you don't. In other words, you can't win. (If you've ever dealt with someone who fits the profile of the Proverbs referring to fools, you've probably had that experience!)

The Bible has different genres: some is poetry, some is history, some is specific theological teaching; other passages contain specific commands for conducting oneself. The book of Proverbs is composed of proverbs. It's best to read them through the lens of the genre.

At the time it was written lawbreakers and criminals tended to be beaten for their crimes. I would imagine it reformed the ones it didn't kill - thus making the proverb a general truism of it's day.

Yikes, that's not exactly much better. :p

I retract my comment it. It was not taken the in the light I meant it. It was as my DS would say a failed attempt at humor.

LOL! When all you see is print on a screen, you don't get tone of voice or facial expressions...I think people take things literally. :lol:

I get what you were saying! :D

It's been a rough day for everybody. I could never tear my kids away from their dinosaur army and wooden fortifications... Oh well. :tongue_smilie:

LOL! When all you see is print on a screen, you don't get tone of voice or facial expressions...I think people take things literally. :lol:

I get what you were saying! :D

It's been a rough day for everybody. I could never tear my kids away from their dinosaur army and wooden fortifications... Oh well. :tongue_smilie:

I read that as fornications. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you like the Old Testament, you have to check out Tim Hawkins favorite Bible verse :)

I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for saying this, but yeah, there is some hilarious stuff in the Old Testament - especially Leviticus, Genesis, etc. My personal favorite was the guy named Nimrod. There was always sumpin weird happening to somebody in Genesis. :confused:

QUOTE]