Menu

Graceland. Is it worth going? What can you tell me?

Initially we were looking for attractions within 4 hours of Springield MO. Now we have set our sights on Graceland as no one in our group has been there.

Could you give me some advice about going to Graceland? We are not familiar with Memphis at all.

Thanks for any input.

Graceland is very interesting. It is a time capsule as much as anything. I am not a huge fan but still found it interesting. There are other museums and such around the house with more of his stuff to see. The most interesting thing to me is knowing that when he bought it, the house was out in the suburbs and now it is very much in the city surrounded by stores, shopping complexes, and houses galore.

However, I have been to Springfield and to Graceland (actually would live about halfway inbetween) and that is more than 4 hours - plus it is not all interstate. Some of the roads are 2-3 lane country roads. That would be a hard drive and take much longer than 4 hours.

If you go to Memphis however, there are lots of cool things to do. I love it when we can spend time there. Beale Street Blues, Civil Rights Museum at the motel where MLK was shot, lots of historical and art museums... Just look it up. Be careful though. Parts of Memphis, like any big city, are very, very dangerous.

I live in the Memphis area. If you're not a huge Elvis fan, I wouldn't suggest a trip to Memphis just for Graceland. However, there are many other great places here that would make for a fun trip. Our zoo is fabulous. We have a nice Botanic Garden. The Pink Palace Museum and Lichterman Nature Center are nice. The Redbirds are here, and our stadium is beautiful. The Dixon and the Brooks are our big art museums and have nice collections. If you have little bitties, the Children's Museum is fun. The riverboat tours are good options. Mud Island is a lot of fun, too. Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel (to see the ducks and the hotel's architecture), carriage rides downtown, riding the trolley, visiting local art galleries, farmer's markets, etc. are all fun options. We have the Center for Southern Folklore and the Belz Museums in Peabody Place. The Cotton Exchange, the Fire Museum, and the Civil Rights Museums are all downtown, too. Oh, Stax and Sun Studios are here, as well. Chuckalissa, Shelby Farms, and Shelby Forest are worth a visit, and so is the National Ornamental Metal Museum (that place is way cool - especially when a blacksmith is there). We have great local theatre options and lots of wonderful independent restaurants, too. I'm probably forgetting something, but this should give you a good idea of some things to check out.

A general rule to keep you in safer areas is to avoid streets with names of states. If you get into that area or on Danny Thomas (away from the immediate vicinity of St. Jude) or part of Lamar, you should try to navigate away as quickly as possible and do not pull over anywhere. Yes, it's a big city with crime, but if you're smart about what you're doing and where you are, you should be okay. The main part of downtown and all the places I mentioned to you are fine. I just wouldn't leave a dvd player, camera, purse, etc in plain sight in your parked car.

Initially we were looking for attractions within 4 hours of Springield MO. Now we have set our sights on Graceland as no one in our group has been there.

Could you give me some advice about going to Graceland? We are not familiar with Memphis at all.

Thanks for any input.

I went with family members once. Before that I had kind of liked some Elvis movies and songs -- not what you'd call a huge fan, but I liked him okay. I thought Graceland was so tacky, though, so over-the-top that it kind of soured my opinion of Elvis. I wish I hadn't gone because I can't think of him now without thinking of that place and the TMI of it all.

As another Memphis area resident, I ditto the above, and would like to add-do NOT stay near Graceland, and I'd avoid going to restaurants or stores that are off the Elvis Presley Enterprises owned property. Go back to the downtown area. That's simply not the most safe part of town to be in. I'd suggest staying either downtown or going out to the suburbs.