Menu

What is the proper way to address a boss's boss in formal letter

without sounding adversarial???

I wrote a letter addressing her as Mrs.__________. She replied stating I was adversarial by my greeting. I was taught in college's Administration/human resource to address boss or boss's boss as Mrs. or Mr.__________ in all correspondance that is professional in nature.

I already explained myself and still haven't got a response back from her even though I asked her for forgiveness if I did wrong. What is the protocol???Has it changed since 15 years ago??:confused::confused::confused::confused: (crying and smacking self on head here) Thought I did the right thing....boo hoo

HELP!!!!

Holly

I stated I did that out of respect and courtesy to her to her being my boss's boss. :confused::confused:

I still got no response from her. I address her and my boss is included as cc: She specifically told me I can come to her for anything....so I addressed her out of respect....sigh!! She made me feel really dumb in her response. A man used to be the big boss. He moved from a different position.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

According to google search I did the right thing...

It stated:

If use name such as Mrs. or Mr._______ ending with Sincerely then it is proper which I did.

Also it said higher position than you should be addressed: Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. (if sex unknown) or Miss. with a sincerely.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

Oh, Holly, I don't really know. I probably would have written the same thing if I knew her name (I'm so old, I'm of the Dear Sir/Madam ilk, if in doubt). But to be considered adversarial because you formally addressed her -sheesh. I called my last boss's boss by his first name because he called me by mine.

"O Most High & Holy One, Who Gives & Takes Away, Blessed be Your (Unspeakable) Name."

:lol::lol::lol:

If she's a doctor, maybe Mrs seemed hostile in place of Dr. If she's a doctor, judge, clergy member or senator, she might find "Mrs" robs her of her status? I don't know.

No....not a doctor, judge or non of the above. I have a friend who is a dr and I call her Kim or Mrs._______as she doesn't want to be called dr by her friends. My own dr do not want me calling him dr so so in church or public.

Holly

Um, wow. She must have been having a really bad day. I can't imagine a rational person getting that upset over being addressed that way... I've worked at two Fortune 100 companies (plus smaller ones), and the only response I can imagine getting is, "Please go ahead and call me _____."

It was common practice to use first names at the places I've worked, but I can understand wanting to be conservative when unsure.

Sorry you have to deal with this silliness.

No....not a doctor, judge or non of the above. I have a friend who is a dr and I call her Kim or Mrs._______as she doesn't want to be called dr by her friends. My own dr do not want me calling him dr so so in church or public.

Holly

that if you worked in a hospital, writing a letter to a boss who is the senior surgeon and addressing her as "Mrs" might seem hostile even though in a non-work setting it wouldn't be. If your boss is a clergy member and you work at a church, addressing her as "Mrs" rather than "The Reverend" might seem hostile. But not necessarily.

I know .... I am scraping here. But I can't think of a situation where 'Mrs." would seem hostile.

Is your boss' boss your mother-in-law? Maybe then it would be aggressive:)

She specifically said the greeting of Mrs._____ is adversarial. Did not mention anything else. I have never heard of a greeting like that be considered adversarial.

Holly

My mother would say she was "speaking for herself", i.e. the lady doth protesteth too much.

BTW, I dislike being called Dr. with a passion. In NYC it was such a word of sarcasm and hatred, I grew to dread it.

According to google search I did the right thing...

It stated:

If use name such as Mrs. or Mr._______ ending with Sincerely then it is proper which I did.

Also it said higher position than you should be addressed: Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. (if sex unknown) or Miss. with a sincerely.

Holly

Now wait a minute. If the sex is unknown, that's another matter entirely.

I once had to write a paper about an article written by Pat Somebody. The prof didn't know the author's gender, lol, so the pronouns were tricky.

Is she married? If so, did she change her last name to her husband's? Maybe she is not Mrs. at all, but Ms.?

:confused:

If I addressed anyone at my job by Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. (including the company president), they would likely take my temperature and send me home sick, but they wouldn't think it was "adversarial."

Holly, if this letter was about the work subject that you posted about the other night, it might really have nothing to do with how you addressed her. It may have more to do with the fact that I believe that you were planning to challenge her decision on how to deal with a work place problem.

That's what my thought was - that it was really more about the situation than the greeting.

Is she married? If so, did she change her last name to her husband's? Maybe she is not Mrs. at all, but Ms.?

:confused:

If I addressed anyone at my job by Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. (including the company president), they would likely take my temperature and send me home sick, but they wouldn't think it was "adversarial."

Or, perhaps she sees Mrs. as a personal title as Ms. as a professional title. It is not uncommon for some women to see their marital status as irrelevant to work. Regardless of her reasons, she clearly overreacted though, sheesh!

On another note, I've had some AMAZING female bosses, and rotten male bosses.

She specifically said the greeting of Mrs._____ is adversarial. Did not mention anything else. I have never heard of a greeting like that be considered adversarial.

Holly

It doesn't sound like this is the situation at all, but at colleges, many female professors complain of being addressed as Mrs. while male professors are addressed as Professor or Dr. :glare:

In that case, Mrs. is definitely adversarial (possibly out of ignorance, but it's still an issue).

Well, I def. learned my lesson on this. Even though I didn't do anything wrong and I even apologize for addressing her as Mrs. ______ which I didn't mean for it to be adversarial. She wants to be first name basis which bothers me. I do not mind it but in previous positions when there is a higher boss than your boss it is always understood to address them as Mr. or Mrs or Miss.

I guess I have to take her lead on this and address her by her first name. (petty, I know)

Holly