Menu

Newbie: Does a Astronomy unit study like this exist?

mom24boys

I've been browsing around the internet trying to find a study on space for science for my K & 1st graders. Basically, I'd like to study Astronomy with a Christian world view. But that is all I want as I have a full curriculum to cover my other subjects. I want it to last about a semester.

I could probably use Apologia as a spine...but I feel they are a little much for Kindergarten and I want something with activities and experiments and such all built in. Please make it easy on me!

I saw Amanda Bennett Unit Study on space and Cindy Downes (Oklahoma Homeschool). Has anyone ever used these? Your thoughts on these? Others? Thanks for your help!

Have you looked at Our Universe in the God's Design for Heaven and Earth series from Answers in Genesis?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Our-Universe-Teacher-and-Student-Pack,6565,194.aspx

I am still waiting on ours to arrive from Rainbow Resources so I haven't had a chance to really look at it closely, but DS did two of the books from the Life series last year. It is nice because it has different leveled text depending on the age and level of the student. There were also activities listed as well as supplemental information. Dawn (nestof3) has a great list of resources on her blog that she has so graciously shared for this series, too!

We are using Apologia Astronomy right now; I've always heard that it's the easiest to understand of all of their books, and so far I agree. My K'er is enjoying it a lot (as well as my 2nd and 3rd graders), and there are activities throughout. So, you might want to give it another look. I think it's definitely doable in a semester.

This is what we are using. There's a simplified explanation of each lesson at the beginning of each lesson for younger kids.

Here are extra books I have scheduled to read for the various lessons:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2065802/our-universe-pdf-july-13-2010-10-39-pm-106k?da=y

Thanks! I had forgotten all about them. Forgotten that their books were divided into different subjects like that. I looked at them quite a while ago but I'll have to look at them again. :)

Any other ideas out there?

I have been using Apologia this summer with my kids, ages 4 and 6. DS (4) tends to have little interest in listening to any reading, but he is definitely learning! Take yesterday for example, after talking about the color of Mars' sky:

DS - "What color sky does Earth have?"

Me - "Blue?" (thinking 'duuuhhhh' but not saying it cause I'm such a nice mom)

DS - "It's the same color as OUR sky!"

Me - "Ummm... yeah, this IS Earth."

DS - "Noooo... We don't live on EARTH!"

No, of course not. Silly me:tongue_smilie:

That evening, since we had discussed our actual location in the universe, I asked him what planet we live on. He correctly answered, "Earth!" then proceeded to yell into the other room, "Daddy, what planet do YOU live on??" :lol:

But seriously, he really is learning alot. I went through astronomy flashcards with them today and he correctly identified all the planets we've done so far. He loves shooting stars and draws them all the time. He can quote the Singing Science song and tell me that a shooting star is not a star at all, but is a meteor that's heading for a fall. Jupiter is his favorite planet and he knows that it's a huge ball of gas.

In summation, I would conclude that even though the text is over his head, he loves the study itself and is learning from it! I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a K'er, since you have a 1st grader doing it as well. I do try to always provide a coloring page or a blank paper to draw the topic while I read, which helps it to not get boring.

I have been using Apologia this summer with my kids, ages 4 and 6. DS (4) tends to have little interest in listening to any reading, but he is definitely learning! Take yesterday for example, after talking about the color of Mars' sky:

DS - "What color sky does Earth have?"

Me - "Blue?" (thinking 'duuuhhhh' but not saying it cause I'm such a nice mom)

DS - "It's the same color as OUR sky!"

Me - "Ummm... yeah, this IS Earth."

DS - "Noooo... We don't live on EARTH!"

No, of course not. Silly me:tongue_smilie:

That evening, since we had discussed our actual location in the universe, I asked him what planet we live on. He correctly answered, "Earth!" then proceeded to yell into the other room, "Daddy, what planet do YOU live on??" :lol:

But seriously, he really is learning alot. I went through astronomy flashcards with them today and he correctly identified all the planets we've done so far. He loves shooting stars and draws them all the time. He can quote the Singing Science song and tell me that a shooting star is not a star at all, but is a meteor that's heading for a fall. Jupiter is his favorite planet and he knows that it's a huge ball of gas.

In summation, I would conclude that even though the text is over his head, he loves the study itself and is learning from it! I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a K'er, since you have a 1st grader doing it as well. I do try to always provide a coloring page or a blank paper to draw the topic while I read, which helps it to not get boring.

:lol::lol::lol: I love it!

I tried Apologia Astronomy when my oldest was in second grade. I wouldn't recommend it for K and 1st - the detail and readings seem more appropriate for 3rd/4th grade and up.

I know you would like something already put together, but for a K and 1st grader I'd recommend 3 things.

Space and Time by Michael Carroll (from the God's Creation Series)

Usborne First Encyclopedia of Space (with internet links)

The Astronomy Adventure (Home Science Adventures - one of the kits put out by Stratton House) or another astronomy science kit for hands-on.

I'd use the first book as your spine, reading one or two segments per session. Use appropriate pages/internet links from the second book as supplements, and do the hands-on activities in the kit in an order that fits with what you're studying in the books.

Blessings,

Laura

We are doing Apologia Astonomy with K5 son and 2nd grade son. It's going well. Here is a link to some free worksheets that I use with it. http://www.learningpage.com/ Sign up for free membership and you can download all kinds of worksheets.

Also, we got a puzzle set of all the planets so we put one together as we start the chapter. It's called Puzzleball. http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Solar-System-Set-puzzleballs/dp/B00140ZI8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1282436457&sr=8-1

We just read a page or two each day and I try to come up with an activity....some from the journal they sell, some from other books I have and some online. We also bought a telescope which we are looking forward to using once the darkness comes earlier.

Have fun picking what works best for you!

Wow! Thanks! Lots of good info here. Thanks so much for your help!

I am definitely interested in Apologia and longterm think it's absolutely great. I know that HOD uses their astronomy book in RTR. I don't know for sure that we will stick with HOD, but I'd really like to and we're enjoying it thus far. So expect we'll get to do Apologia Astronomy when we're a little older. (I'm not very confident in my ability to shift it down a notch since I'm new to this.)

Drooling over the Stratton House stuff. :drool: That is really neat! Book wise, I think I like the God's Design, Our Universe. Thanks so much nestof3 for the list of books that can go with it, that's great! Maybe I can find a way to work the Stratton House together with the God's Design book? Hmm. Have to take a look at that!

Thanks again. Ya'll have been so helpful. I knew I could depend on you! :thumbup: