Menu

Does anyone here have their kids in a free/democratic school?

This is looking more and more like a serious option for next year, purely for daycare. I'd still want to teach Latin, Greek, literature/history, math and music at home. Is that feasible? Am I going to burn us all out? Has anyone transitioned from a classical, structured environment to a flat out hippie-run Sudbury school kind of environment?

Music I figured we'd just have to do daily because instruments take practice, but plenty of schooled kids do instruments. Forty-five minutes each morning before school? That was how I did it when I was a kid taking flute through the school.

Latin, Greek and math could be maintained in 15 minute sessions after school. I don't anticipate any homework from this place. We would move slowly, just practicing, during the week, do a big lesson introducing new material on a weekend morning.

Literature/history would be read-alouds after dinner, before bed, pretty casual CM/LCC style, probably alternating a history title and a piece of literature.

Consider how hard it would be to undo if you all hated it and weigh that into the decision.

I hate it now. The kids are curious and withholding judgment, wise little ones they are. I believe we have our backs against a wall. As soon as we possibly can, they're coming back out of school. I may yet find a way to avoid it. I hope to be able to do so. The hope is strong enough that I'm not calling schooling a plan yet.

Thanks for walking me through these thoughts. I was afraid I was crazy.

My girls do go part-time to a pretty laid back school where they take classes in knitting and 'garden fairies' and yoga... but there is structure to it... and there are more academic classes too, though not enough for my taste (which is why we also do work at home). Anyway, I think if you have classical leanings, you (as a parent) might have a hard time at a Waldorf or Sudbury/free/democratic school. But who knows? And if you approach it purely as daycare, it might not be a big deal...

You can do that, Rose. We spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours every morning covering the subjects below and then dc head off to a plain old public school where (in theory) they continue learning for 6 more hours. After school is reserved for what little homework (aka busywork) they have and soccer practice, etc. Dc love and look forward to reading from history at night before bed.

It may sound kind of grueling, but it's just routine.