Menu

If you are using Vocabulary from Classical Roots...

ABQmom

...can you give me creative ideas for how you use it with your student? How do you have them work with the words each week?

I'm trying to decide if I should get dd a set of spiral bound index cards to write words in as she studies them. But, should I have her write the word and the definition and that's it? Should I have her write the word in a sentence too? Other?

I just want whatever system we use to be organized and aid with retention.

Hi! I am brand new to HS (today was our first day!), but I have a 7th grader, and we are using Vocabulary from Classical Roots. The way I do it is that he reads the lesson first. Then, he makes flash cards for the roots and the key words at the beginning (one side for the word/root and one side for the definition). Then, he'll complete the exercises by the end of the week (we do vocabulary 4x a week).

I think that TWTM has the kids write the words as they learn them in the Word Study section of their English/Reading notebooks. I am going to try doing that with my son. I'm not having him write a sentence with it on his cards since that is sort of what the exercises help with (plus he hates writing).

I'll be glad to let you know how this goes for us, but that is my plan for now! Hope this helps...

Andrea

I would not do spiral bound notes, simply because it limits how you use them. Here's what I do: at the beginning of the year I write the new root in big letters in the centre of an index card. On the back of the card I write which lesson it is from along with the definition. When we get to lesson 6, for example, I pull out the index cards that have a 6 on them. She reads the first few pages in the book and rehearses the roots and meanings, along with the ones from the previous few weeks. I then drill her for a few minutes Mon-Fri, and on the last day she fills in the worksheets.

Having the index cards loose allows us to do a few different things: we shuffle them, arrange them all over the table, throw them randomly on the floor face down and I'll say the root while she jumps on the definition, and mostly, it allows for us to drill the ones that she is having a hard time with.

Hope that helps a bit!

I would not do spiral bound notes, simply because it limits how you use them. Here's what I do: at the beginning of the year I write the new root in big letters in the centre of an index card. On the back of the card I write which lesson it is from along with the definition. When we get to lesson 6, for example, I pull out the index cards that have a 6 on them. She reads the first few pages in the book and rehearses the roots and meanings, along with the ones from the previous few weeks. I then drill her for a few minutes Mon-Fri, and on the last day she fills in the worksheets.

Having the index cards loose allows us to do a few different things: we shuffle them, arrange them all over the table, throw them randomly on the floor face down and I'll say the root while she jumps on the definition, and mostly, it allows for us to drill the ones that she is having a hard time with.

Hope that helps a bit!

Yes, this helps quite a bit. I think you're right about making flashcards, and thank you for the suggestions for how to use them!

Hi! I am brand new to HS (today was our first day!), but I have a 7th grader, and we are using Vocabulary from Classical Roots. The way I do it is that he reads the lesson first. Then, he makes flash cards for the roots and the key words at the beginning (one side for the word/root and one side for the definition). Then, he'll complete the exercises by the end of the week (we do vocabulary 4x a week).

Wow! Good luck with your first year! :001_smile:

Today was my ds's first day with VFCR. We have previously gone through the EFTRU cards and this seems fairly similar, actually.

We use these pages instead of index cards, and just store them in a binder. I am thinking that we will follow this schedule for each lesson:

Day 1: Words 1-6 on notebooking pages

Day 2: Words 7-12 on notebooking pages

Day 3: Activity A

Day 4: Activity B

Day 5: Activity C

Day 6: Test

We plan to do the program 2-3x per week. He is using Level 7.

Today was my ds's first day with VFCR. We have previously gone through the EFTRU cards and this seems fairly similar, actually.

We use these pages instead of index cards, and just store them in a binder. I am thinking that we will follow this schedule for each lesson:

This is great! Thanks for posting the link and your schedule. Very helpful.

I like that schedule. I want to do Vocab 3x per week and spread a lesson over 2 weeks, so that is perfect.

This is great information, and timely too. We begin school next week and I am just going over the VRCR books that I recently purchased. I really like the index card idea and want to give it a try.

Along with that, how do you suggest using VFCR during the week? Do any of you have a particular schedule that you follow? The way the book is laid out is not clear as to how often students should be doing the exercises and how many lessons per week, etc. I'd really like to complete two levels in one year. For instance, since we had never used this curriculum before, I bought 5 & 6 for my 6th grader. (I think that was the recommendation in TWTM.)

Any thoughts or suggestions to share?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm bumping this up again because I am having a dickens of a time figuring out how to teach this program. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but right now I'm hopping back and forth from the teachers guide to the student book and it seems really disjointed. How do you teach this anyway? I'm usually quick to catch on, but for some reason VFCR is just not clicking with me - as far as the teaching part goes. Do we sit down and do a lesson each day? A lesson each week? And I hate it that the teacher's guide doesn't have the student guide info printed in it so you can see what they are reading!

Anyone want to take me by the hand and lead me through it?

Thanks for letting me vent. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm bumping this up again because I am having a dickens of a time figuring out how to teach this program. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but right now I'm hopping back and forth from the teachers guide to the student book and it seems really disjointed. How do you teach this anyway? I'm usually quick to catch on, but for some reason VFCR is just not clicking with me - as far as the teaching part goes. Do we sit down and do a lesson each day? A lesson each week? And I hate it that the teacher's guide doesn't have the student guide info printed in it so you can see what they are reading!

Anyone want to take me by the hand and lead me through it?

Thanks for letting me vent. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

I hear ya! We did VFCR last year, and it took me awhile to get into a grove. But, I posted my questions about it originally because I still feel much the same way you do now. I bought another book this year for dd to complete, and I just feel like I need to do things differently--whatever that looks like. :confused:

I hear ya! We did VFCR last year, and it took me awhile to get into a grove. But, I posted my questions about it originally because I still feel much the same way you do now. I bought another book this year for dd to complete, and I just feel like I need to do things differently--whatever that looks like. :confused:

Thanks for your empathy and understanding ABQmom! I've been reading and studying more since my previous vent, and I did go to TWTM and look up the curriculum. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. :banghead:

Well, fortunately TWTM gives some really good suggestions on how to do it. For the life of me though, I can't understand why the publishers don't do that either in the teacher guide or even online. Sheeeee! But I've finally decided to go over the lesson fully every Monday with my dd, and I will give her the index cards (per SpecialMama's suggestions) to study until Thursday. We will then do the blackline worksheets on Thursdays and wrap up vocab for the week. I'm still going to have to rely on some of the scripting, but the more we do it I imagine I'll get more and more comfortable. I just have a lot of curriculum prepping to do each week and was hoping this one wouldn't be complicated.

Oh well....:lol: All in all, it does look like excellent material and I'm going to be optimistic about how it will work out for us in the long run.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm so glad that you asked this, because it's forced me to better think through how I'm going to use this with ds this year. This will be our first year with VFCR after WW for several years. I'm hoping to complete A & B with my 7th grader. After reading the teacher's guide, the previous posts, and Susan's advice in WTM, here's my plan...

We'll do VFCR 4 or 5 days per week for about 15-20 minutes per day (as I think this would suit ds better than one 45min day and 2 shorter days before doing the exercises).

Mon & Tues: I'll go over 2 of the roots and the associated words each day, incorporating ideas from the TG

Wed: Ds will review the words with various games and activities for flashcards

Thurs: Ds will do all three exercises

alternate Fridays: Ds will do some of the review exercises after the even numbered lessons.

Hopefully this will work out for us. Thanks ABQmom for posting your question and forcing me to think this through and make concrete plans for vocab this year. Ds always worked pretty independently through WW, so I hadn't put a lot of time into planning VFCR and had just planned on going over the words with ds one day and assigning the exercises the next three days. I'm so glad that I read the TG and WTM suggestions. Thanks!:001_smile: