Menu

Public school lost ALL my child's records! Hel

Hi. Does anyone know what I can do?

My D began public school in grade 2 and was in a county school system up through the first half of her Junior year. Then she became ill and I had to withdraw her from high school.

I walked into her high school and filled out the withdrawl forms. We were given 30 days to figure out what to do with D. Afer the Christmas holidays I drove over to the school board and filed the paperwork to homeschool D.

Now D is applying to colleges and I need to make a transcript incorporating the work she has done since being at home with the previous public high school work. So I called her high school, which has no records of her on file. Nada, nothing saying she ever went there. They said their computer shows all her records are at the school board (homeschool office).

So I called the homeschool office and spoke to the head there, she put the info into the computer and ALL she is showing is that my D took an elective (summer) course through the state virtual school 2 years ago. That's it: one class.

I asked this person what I should do and she said "I don't know what to tell you, I don't know what to do. Call the high school, they should have some kind of records."

Then my husband DROVE down to the high school and filled out the forms and waited about 45 minutes for the office person to check as much as she could and she came back empty-handed and said, "there is nothing in our computer other than a single line entry showing ALL your daughter's transcripts were turned over to the school board (homeschool office) on December 20."

When I called (again) the homeschool department the woman told me that they have NO grade records on my daughter (other than that one class in the computer from the State Virtual School) and all she could suggest was contacting the high school again!!!

The conversation ended with the head of the homeschool department telling me that she doesn't know what to do as she has never encountered this before.

So I called my friend who is the head of guidance in another county and she told me that if the school board personnel cannot produce a transcript within a "reasonable" time--and I should send a certified letter requesting thus--that I will have to reconstruct a transcript to the best of my memory.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do?

Edited by distancia

I do not have all her report cards; we moved (within the county) at the end of her Sophomore year and some of boxes never made it to the new house. [However, the box with the grungy thigh-high plaster cast she wore when she broke her leg in 4th grade DID make it to our new home!]

the original hard copies (ie old fashioned paper) are probably in a storeroom somewhere in the district. there are very strict guidelines as to how long districts have to keep records (unless there's been a devastating fire). go park yourself in someone's office until they figure out exactly where those hard copies are stored and send someone in to look for it. just because it's not in their computer system doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I notice that several times you say that they referred you to the school district office but you said that you went to the homeschool office. They are not necessarily the same office. Be sure you contact the head office of the school districy itself. They should have a record of any work she did while actively enrolled in classes at PS.

I notice that several times you say that they referred you to the school district office but you said that you went to the homeschool office. They are not necessarily the same office. Be sure you contact the head office of the school districy itself. They should have a record of any work she did while actively enrolled in classes at PS.

:iagree:

After a student withdraws (but doesn't transfer to a new school) the records are often sent to the county office to store. I left school after about 3 weeks of 11th grade. When it was time to apply to college (18 months later), I called my high school who referred me to the county office. They had my records and were able to send a transcript.

I'd contact the HSLDA. I think contact from a lawyer would help the school district because they are in violation of the law and they know it. You can reconstruct your own transcript. You can also sue them (not that I suggest that), but reminding them of your rights is sometimes motivating.

I'd contact the HSLDA. I think contact from a lawyer would help the school district because they are in violation of the law and they know it. You can reconstruct your own transcript. You can also sue them (not that I suggest that), but reminding them of your rights is sometimes motivating.

A letter from the HSLDA lawyer will most likely find your child's transcript toot sweet. Good luck. I'd make a fuss.