Menu

Who would you put on a list of Most Important Painters?

Halcyon

I am putting together my artist study plans for the year, and so far on the list I have Da Vinci, Raphael, Chagall, Monet, Goya (my youngest's fave), Rembrandt, Cezanne, Kandinsky, Mondrian and O'Keefe.

Who am I missing (even if I can't get to them right away!)?

I am putting together my artist study plans for the year, and so far on the list I have Da Vinci, Raphael, Chagall, Monet, Goya (my youngest's fave), Rembrandt, Cezanne, Kandinsky, Mondrian and O'Keefe.

For starters, I'd say Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Dürer, Velazquez, Caravaggio, Van Eyck, Vermeer, El Greco, Turner, Delacroix, Ingres, Millet, David, Van Gogh, Pisarro, Degas, Renoir, Corot, Rodin, Seurat, Gauguin, Blake, Homer, Hopper, Whistler, Picasso, Braque....and many others as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

For starters, I'd say Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Dürer, Velazquez, Caravaggio, Van Eyck, Vermeer, El Greco, Turner, Delacroix, Ingres, Millet, David, Van Gogh, Pisarro, Degas, Renoir, Corot, Rodin, Seurat, Gauguin, Blake, Homer, Hopper, Whistler, Picasso, Braque....and many others as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Fantastic! I can't believe I left off picasso, van gogh and Renoir!!!

Can I just say that I spent many years trying to study the right artists and musicians and mostly what I did was spend a lot of time researching a subject that is very subjective-- and rarely even getting to art history because I was sure I would get it planned "right".

I think you have some great names here, but really it doesn't matter. Pick artists you like or

Pick artists because your library has books on them or

Pick artists because thier paintings are at a store/building you visit (government office buildings often have nice art work).

We are doing the 34 painters mentioned in Art Fraud Detective for this year (and will solve the book the last two weeks) and it has been easy to plan and I think we might actually get to it ;)

Even if you only did one or two artists a year, each year they were in school, your children would know 12-24 artists. I don't think there are really that many people who feel comfortable discussing more than 5 or so.

Just to reiterate--

Don't spend so much time worring about choosing the Most Important Painters that you forget what you are really supposed to be doing- sharing art with your children.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Perhaps limiting the number to 10 or so would be easier. If we did that, I agree with Lucinda on most of her first 6, Rembrandt through Vermeer, but leave out Van Eyck. Not because he isn't stellar, but because there are already so many other northern Europeans represented. These are the tops except for maybe Da Vinci. For the other 5 you would need representatives from other times and styles. For medieval, the pick would be Giotto. Then for Impressionists, maybe Van Gogh, not because he was more stellar than other Impressionists, but because he is more well known. Same for Picasso as a postImpressionist/cubist. Pick from Whistler or Homer for American. There's 9. For number ten, pick a very modern like Mondrian.

Everyone Mike Venezio has a book on :001_smile:.

You are definitely one of the posters most dangerous to my homeschool budget (like I have one :lol:).

We had one of his books from our library once (Tchaikovsky) and they're awesome. One of 3 books of his our library has...

We're just starting art appreciation, so I'm loving all the suggestions!

Last week we got a bunch of Mike Venezia's books (suggested earlier) - Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists. We read the one on Van Gogh, and I'm really loving these books! Not too simple, and not too complicated for my first grader. Wow, there is 48 titles to enjoy...

I like the lists you've already gotten. I might add Mucha and Rockwell.

I defaulted to using CM's list.

I defaulted to using CM's list.

Thank you!

It says "Feel free to select only three artists to linger over and get to know during the school year".

You have just helped me narrow down my purchases (but not the wishlist, it is a wish list after all ;)).

This is the one subject area I had not really planned for yet. Off to look at my Artistic Pursuits book for artists to learn more about. It makes sense to start with some whose artwork appears in there.

We're just starting art appreciation, so I'm loving all the suggestions!

Last week we got a bunch of Mike Venezia's books (suggested earlier) - Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists. We read the one on Van Gogh, and I'm really loving these books! Not too simple, and not too complicated for my first grader. Wow, there is 48 titles to enjoy...

We have 6 of these--they're FANTASTIC and my kids adore them. Highly recommended.