Menu

Is the Stargate series family friendly?

Is Stargate appropriate for my 11 year old, good looking, intelligent, witty ds (okay, he requested that I add all of that, as he's literally looking over my shoulder!! Hee hee!) who would like to watch it.

We tried the first episode of Firefly and he ran out of the room during a nude scene. I had no idea. :001_huh:

Thanks!

Edited by lisabees

I would say yes (though beware a nude scene in the pilot - only one in the entire series); I've let my 4yo watch it from birth (but she says it is "too scary" now :tongue_smilie:, so we save it for after her bedtime now). I *love* it - we have all 10 seasons of SG-1 and all 5 of Atlantis (haven't watched Universe, though - and from what my sister says there is a *lot* of sex, though not sure how graphic).

(I don't remember the nude scene in Firefly, though :001_huh:.)

DH says that the first 3 seasons were done on Showtime...so even showing on Sci-Fi now won't be as safe as he feels the later seasons are.

There is little in the way of grotesque violence, neither of us can remember any sex in it, though some implications. Most language is relatively non-obscene depending on how you view cursing. There's lots of shooting and exploding, but very little in the way of bloodletting.

We allowed our 9yo to watch and feel comfortable doing so, and we are pretty sheltering when it comes to television.

Edited by DarcyB

Ds13 says that there are no sex scenes in any of the episodes he's seen. The only possible objectionable things might be violence due to an alien being blown to bits. He says that if it is going to make the most sense you have to start with the Stargate movie and then watch the SG-1 series in order. Then go to the Ark of Truth movie. He hasn't watched more than that.

There is a nude scene in the pilot, but if I remember right it wasn't part of a sex scence, but other than that the worst it gets is ocassional kissing.

I don't think the language or the violence are graphic at all.

If he is interested I would let him watch it. If he is as intellegent as he thinks he is... and if he is not immature (for an 11 year old) I would watch with him and let him decide.

We're huge SG1 fans here (like some Atlantis - can't stand Universe). My 11 year old has watched all of SG1 with the exception of three that I felt were a bit over the top. The original Showtime pilot has full frontal female nudity in one scene but the pilot was redone last year to remove that section and change some other things around. The redone pilot is called Children of the Gods - Final Cut. The pilot in the series set is the original. The redone one is a stand alone disc.

Is Stargate appropriate for my 11 year old, good looking, intelligent, witty ds (okay, he requested that I add all of that, as he's literally looking over my shoulder!! Hee hee!) who would like to watch it.

We tried the first episode of Firefly and he ran out of the room during a nude scene. I had no idea. :001_huh:

Thanks!

We love Stargate here. There is a nude scene in the series opener. It is fairly brief....meaning if you pre-screen and have a TV cabinet with doors, you can pull the doors too and stand in front of until it's passed. That's what we do when we watch that episode.

Otherwise, we have no problem with our kids viewing it. My DS was 8 when we starting watching the DVDs....he's 12 now and has been enjoying a Stargate Atlantis mini-marathon while I work on lesson plans. :D We own & watch all of Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis.

We started watching Stargate Universe, but it's in a later time slot so there's quite a bit more sex scenes in it - think the new Battlestar Galactica - and it's also a bit darker.

I am also confused by what nude scene you mention in the opener of Firefly. :confused: There's a nude view of Malcom from the back in one episode, but not the first one.

I am also confused by what nude scene you mention in the opener of Firefly. :confused: There's a nude view of Malcom from the back in one episode, but not the first one.

It's when the captain opens the "case" thing where Simon has been keeping River in stasis. She's nude, but they did in such a way that you really didn't see anything.

We love SG1! My kids have watched it well....since as long as I can remember. My ds8 was watching it at least by 4. We have never watched it in order so I don't know about the pilot show as others have stated but it is a great show. Richard Dean Anderson is GREAT! It would be less of a show without him... imo :)

There is a nude scene in the pilot, but if I remember right it wasn't part of a sex scence, but other than that the worst it gets is ocassional kissing.

It's not part of a sex scene, though to me it's worse -- a woman is stripped because she is powerless and being taken over by one of the aliens. To me, that's a whole lot more problematic than a sex scene. If your son is sensitive, you might want to preview and skip that part. But that's the only thing in all ten years of the show that I can remember being troublesome. Later on in the series, it does get a bit more mature in terms of a well-established character dying, and of course there is some violence all along, though not particularly gruesome or disturbing as I recall. Overall it is a really great show. We loved it, and I have let my dd (10) watch it.

I have not seen many of the episodes of SG1, but I have seen all of Atlantis and Universe. I would say that Atlantis is fine...Universe not so much. There is not "tea" in every episode of Universe...but when there is, it is hard to get away from it. (Meaning, most of the time, there is no warning/leading up to it.)

When I first read that part in the OP, I said, actually out loud "what nude scene?" Then I remembered.

I've seen the series three times!

It took me awhile to figure it out too. In the entire series there is one scene where you see Kaylee's back from the waist up, one where Zoe and Wash are in bed together and you can see one of her legs, the infamous shot of Mal's rear and the part described above which really didn't register as nudity to me either.

ETA: I also believe there is a scene of the backside of Mal's "wife" that is also fairly mild and for anyone concerned about it there is a scene where Inara has a female client.

Edited by KidsHappen

There's also a plot in one of the early seasons of SG1 (3 maybe? the season finale one year I think?) where a sexy alien woman uses some drug to get power over all the men and it's strongly implied that she takes one of the main characters as her mate to breed a bunch of aliens or something. Later she's foiled - nothing seen on screen, but I remember there was some joke about the goo of the destruction being the one guy's dna that made me cringe at the implications.

Overall though - totally fine for most 11 yos. It's no Doctor Who or anything :), but a fun scifi diversion.

Pilot has one nude scene and many seasons later there is a single episode where Sam is in bed with her boyfriend. Other than that it is one of the nicest and fun shows around for family viewing. Strong friendship and sacrifice themes, witty, funny, tons of mythology, my kids have been watching it since our first go round with Ancients.

Well, we saw the pilot last night. I'm glad I asked, as we were well prepared. When I told ds there was a nude scene in the first one, he said, "So? I've seen you naked." Out of the mouths of babes!

Anyway, we really enjoyed it (except I was very creeped out by the alien peering out of the stomachs). And, yes, the nude scene is quite disturbing, not because of the nudity, but because of the sheer fear the woman experienced. Creepy.

We look forward to more, without scenes like that.

Oh - And Richard Dean Anderson is definitely hot. ;)

Universe is definitely not for kids.

*******************SPOILER ALERT*******************

The ship's captain has an adulterous affair with one of his lieutenants and gets her pregnant. Meanwhile he's intimate with his wife back home while he's taken control of another man's body remotely (eeeew). It's implied that the guy is sleeping with the wife even when he's not being controlled by the husband. And another major character is a lesbian who also is shown being intimate with her partner while she's taken control of someone else's body (eeeew). Another female character is a nymphomaniac.

When I first read that part in the OP, I said, actually out loud "what nude scene?" Then I remembered.

I've seen the series three times!

Yeah, I was trying to figure that one out, too! I guess when someone says "nude scene" I think they are talking about a sex scene and it just didn't register.

And while River is supposed to be naked in that scene, if you really look at her, you can see she is wearing a nude colored body suit. I'm sure you are not supposed to see that, but you can if you look, LOL. So, technically, she isn't nude, so it can't be a nude scene, right? Problem solved!

Oh, memories. I remember watching the pilot episode of Stargate with my dad as a teenager - we ordered in pizza, had popcorn, the whole nine yards. Then that nude scene came on.... :blink: Glad it worked out better with your son!

Guest Cindie2dds
Well, we saw the pilot last night. I'm glad I asked, as we were well prepared. When I told ds there was a nude scene in the first one, he said, "So? I've seen you naked." Out of the mouths of babes!

Anyway, we really enjoyed it (except I was very creeped out by the alien peering out of the stomachs). And, yes, the nude scene is quite disturbing, not because of the nudity, but because of the sheer fear the woman experienced. Creepy.

We look forward to more, without scenes like that.

Oh - And Richard Dean Anderson is definitely hot. ;)

Keep watching! It is my all time favorite series, ever, period.

Someone might have already said this. I haven't read the responses.

The very first episode of Stargate, the pilot, is not family friendly - nude scene. The rest of the episodes are family friendly, in my view. My oldest daughter, now age 11 has watched all of them.