Menu

2nd grade comprehension

springmama

My daughter has always had a hard time comprehending what I read to her. Last year, we used SOTW 1. I read a section, then paraphrase it for her, then discuss it, and only after that I was able to ask her to narrate.

We took the summer off and started SOTW 2 last week. Today, I was reading from chapter 4 about the Byzantine Empire. After one paragraph I asked a question. She looked at me and said "I don't know what you are talking about"

So, I went back to the first sentence. I read it to her. I asked a question. She still had no idea what I was talking about. So I read it again and asked her to listen for the answer to the question. This time she finally got it.

I'm going to pull my hair out with this child. Have any of you had a child like this? What can I do to help her comprehension?

One one hand, I am really doing this for exposure at this age. I don't really care if she doesn't remember everything. I'd be happy to just let her color, do the art project and learn a few new words. Someday she'll get it and I'm cool with that.

On the other hand, she gets really upset if I'm reading and she's not following me. Sometimes I say "It's okay if you dont' understand everything I'm saying, just listen and you'll learn something anyway"

Would she be able to read it along with you?

Depending on her reading skill, you would probably still be doing the reading, but she would still be seeing the words on the page.

I have noticed that my oldest daughter has MUCH better comprehension when reading than while listening.

My dd1 could NEVER narrate back to me what I read to her out of FLL 1. It was SOOO frustrating. However, I looked back at WTM and it suggests that you start narration by the *child* reading a fairy tale. I tried it with "Three Billy Goat's Gruff" last week and it worked! She was able to tell me 3 sentences about what happened. (WTM suggests that they tell 3 sentences and if they cannot tell you what happened, you can ask pointed questions to prompt them) We did The Elephant's Child (Kipling) today. It is a WAAY longer book with challenging words. She needed some prompts but she did well! Maybe you need to start with "easy" books and as she gets practice (or just with more interest), move onto narrating SOTW...just a thought :)

My 7 yo seems to understand, but does not remember details. Names. Places. Her 4 yo playing in the living room while we do this at the kitchen table answers the questions before she does... with details. Every child is different. My child has a problem with memorization and paying attention. Yes, I am pulling my hair, too with this child, for repeating and repeating everything to her. Maybe I will know it by heart by the time I switch to #2, #3 and #4 coming after her...

I wonder if your dd does not understand one word in a paragraph, and then gets hung up on that and does not pay anymore attention, so of course nothing makes sense in the end? Does she understand a short story book? SOTW 2 we just started - my dd is able to understand - even when she does not know exactly what is meant, she either asks or gets a pretty close understanding. She turned 7 end of June.

Narration only happens here if I beg and beg. Very hard on me!

We took the summer off and started SOTW 2 last week. Today, I was reading from chapter 4 about the Byzantine Empire. After one paragraph I asked a question. She looked at me and said "I don't know what you are talking about"

"

Yes, I have a ds who has done the same thing with SOTW 1. Though, he does not do this with every book I read. If he is super interested he will be able to share what I read. Could it be that your dd is not interested (yet) in the content of that particular book?

Yes my dd7 whom is also a 2nd grader is EXACTLY like that. My dd5 will listen to FLL and catch on IMMEDIATELY! But when I ask my dd7 she will look at me, frown and then looked completely lost. I'm going into circles some days from keeping myself from screaming. :glare: BUT I know that with the RIGHT teaching methods, she'll get it :) SO like you I repeat..re-read...and re-read...and re-read.

My oldest was like that. I ended up buying Visualizing and Verbalizing, and that helped a lot. He can now follow the plot and answer questions. He even enjoys stories!

IdeaChain is similar to V/V (I have the manual and one of the multi-level story books). They have a page describing what comprehension problems look like here. Basically it means the person cannot picture what they read, so they miss major points (or everything).

Anyway, we worked on V/V all summer, but not as intensive as they recommend. So if the other suggestions don't help, you might look into it.

Amy