Menu

You might be a homeschooler if...

You might be a home schooler if the pest control man is at your house and your ds corrects him when he calls spiders insects. "Actually, spiders are not insects. They do not have six legs..." while pest control man stands there baffled.

/snort at least your pest man was baffled, ours just steam rolls over our kids and doesn't believe a word they say! :)

That is OK though, I know that they know the correct way :P

You might be a homeschooler if a "snow day" means you have to shovel the driveway....and it does not mean that you get the day off from schoolwork.

You might be a homeschooler if you are taking six subjects... but they are spread among three different grades:

3rd grade math, 2nd grade spelling, 4th grade reading, all for one student.

I think we need a spin off:

You might be a homeschooling mama if you purchase elmer's glue in the gallon jug.

You might be a homeschooling mama if you buy "bug cups" in bulk (25 at a time)!

If the repairman comes to your house to fix the air conditioning on a blistering day in August and your son shouts, "Huzzah!"...you might be a homeschooler.

Oh, I thought we did that because we are SCAdians!

Where do non-SCAdian homeschoolers learn that?

:001_huh:

Rosie

Oh, I thought we did that because we are SCAdians!

Where do non-SCAdian homeschoolers learn that?

:001_huh:

Rosie

I'm not entirely sure. I'm not entirely sure where he learns half the stuff he does. Sometimes I think he just picks up information by osmosis out of passing radio signals or something. In this case, my best guess is it was in a book he read.

You might be a homeschooler if, before a trip to the bookstore, you inform your eldest that he may not get a new book that day because he has been truly awful to his younger brother all morning, and he responds by wailing, "Why don't you just DESTROY seven-eighths of my life then, mom! You know how much I love to read!" He then proceeds to pout for the rest of the afternoon over his lack of new reading material.

You might be a homeschooler if, before a trip to the bookstore, you inform your eldest that he may not get a new book that day because he has been truly awful to his younger brother all morning, and he responds by wailing, "Why don't you just DESTROY seven-eighths of my life then, mom! You know how much I love to read!" He then proceeds to pout for the rest of the afternoon over his lack of new reading material.

:lol:

Whew! At least he has an eighth left! For a minute there, I thought you had destroyed his WHOLE life! ;)

...if your 4yo calls coloring at the table "doing school"

...if your 5yo is "auditing" 2nd grade b/c that's the grade her big brother is in, and besides she "audited" 1st grade last year

...if your 7yo passes by the cereal isle without a whine, but gets to the meat dept and begins the argument for mummifying something...

...if you have a 4 mason jars growing bacteria on the kitchen (one of which will hopefully contain salmonella :D ), you have ordered the enough chemicals online to look like a mad bomber, and you spend all day in your PJs unless you are forced to go to the dentist.

We had a neighbor save us a dead beaver once! He WAS fascinating!

Ok, this doesn't quite make me want to homeschool, although it probably would thrill my son. :tongue_smilie:

You might be a homeschooler if you are about to paint your children blue so they can pretend to be Celts battling the Romans.

(I'll let you know how it goes. They're working on their axes now.)

This, though, would make us all excited to homeschool. :D

...your 2yo asks for help adjusting her Ring of Power, then informs you that she is Frodo.

...you have ever heard the words, "I could NEVER do that!" or "What about socialization?" or "What? No school today?"

...you can't use the white board in the dining room because it's covered by the giant laminated map.

...you buy extra sticky notes just so you can mark up your homeschool catalogs.

...you are a snob about school supplies. (You can have my Mirado Black Warrior pencils when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.)

...your idea of interior decorating involves bookshelves -- lots of bookshelves.

...you've paid so many overdue fines at the library, they're naming the new wing after you.

...you can be civil about others' weird curriculum choices, but when you really want to have a good catfight, you bring up the topic of shoe-wearing in the home.

...your dinner placemats are educational.

...there's a 10-foot timeline on your wall.

...there's a quote from Shakespeare or Erasmus painted on the wall.

...you've ever sat in the doctor's waiting room and had someone criticize your choice to homeschool because your children's shoes are too nice. (This one goes waayyyy back for our old-timers.)

Sigh. Now I'm going to be thinking these up all day tomorrow.

... if you have a solar system hanging in your living room.

.....or a periodic table in the toilet (room that is, not actual bowl, we call the room the toilet here)

....if you have a dead bird under the trampoline and leave it there so you can watch the decomposition

.....if your 7 year old wears a toga all the time, everywhere, for months, and refers to you as "the toga slave"

.....if having 60-120 books out of the library at once is completely normal.

...your 2yo asks for help adjusting her Ring of Power, then informs you that she is Frodo.

...you have ever heard the words, "I could NEVER do that!" or "What about socialization?" or "What? No school today?"

...you can't use the white board in the dining room because it's covered by the giant laminated map.

...you buy extra sticky notes just so you can mark up your homeschool catalogs.

...you are a snob about school supplies. (You can have my Mirado Black Warrior pencils when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.)

...your idea of interior decorating involves bookshelves -- lots of bookshelves.

...you've paid so many overdue fines at the library, they're naming the new wing after you.

...you can be civil about others' weird curriculum choices, but when you really want to have a good catfight, you bring up the topic of shoe-wearing in the home.

...your dinner placemats are educational.

...there's a 10-foot timeline on your wall.

...there's a quote from Shakespeare or Erasmus painted on the wall.

...you've ever sat in the doctor's waiting room and had someone criticize your choice to homeschool because your children's shoes are too nice. (This one goes waayyyy back for our old-timers.)

Sigh. Now I'm going to be thinking these up all day tomorrow.

Love these!

But the big quote on my family room wall is actually from Hans Christian Anderson: "Life itself is a most wonderful fairy tale." And it's not painted, it's just stick-on vinyl letters that LOOK like it's painted on. :)

*gathering the relative newbies around in a circle on the floor*

Tell us the story! Please?

OK, I'm going to need help with the details, but the thumbnail version is...

One of the moms here shared one of those jaw-dropper experiences she had at the doctor's office. She and her kids were in the waiting room, minding their own business, when some older lady who was also in the waiting room started in on them. IIRC, it all started with "What? No school today?" or some such thing. Mom tells lady they homeschool. Lady lectures them about homeschooling -- it's unfair to the kids in ps for her kids not to be there too, because the ps kids can't afford nice shoes like her kids can. (Can't remember how she made the leap, but I think there were a lot of other comments in between point A and point B.) And I think the mom said that her kids' shoes weren't even fancy or new. It was just the most psycho, illogical reasoning, and the lady was pretty passionate about it. I can't even do it justice. The way the mom described it was just hysterical, and we were all scratching our heads about it. It became one of those running jokes for awhile -- "homeschoolers and their fancy shoes."

Can someone else link the story, or fill in the good stuff?

I have pictures of my blue Celtic warriors.

Will you post them? Pleeeeeease? My kids LOVE that your kids got to be painted blue. :001_smile: It would also help if you shared what you painted them with, as my kids want to be painted blue too.:glare:

Today my 7yo was working through ETC (I think he's in Book 6). Anyway, it was one of those pages where the student is given half a dozen sentences or so and asked to tell whether each thing could or could not happen by marking 'Yes' or 'No'.

One of his sentences was something to the effect of, "Stars can shine in the daytime." He read the sentence aloud to himself and then started giggling. I asked him what was so funny and he replied, "Well, OF COURSE stars still shine in the daytime! They can't just turn off their lights!" And then he cracked up laughing. LOL! :)

Today my 7yo was working through ETC (I think he's in Book 6). Anyway, it was one of those pages where the student is given half a dozen sentences or so and asked to tell whether each thing could or could not happen by marking 'Yes' or 'No'.

One of his sentences was something to the effect of, "Stars can shine in the daytime." He read the sentence aloud to himself and then started giggling. I asked him what was so funny and he replied, "Well, OF COURSE stars still shine in the daytime! They can't just turn off their lights!" And then he cracked up laughing. LOL! :)

What a guy! Way too adorable!