Menu

IEW, Christian content, and charter schools

Pink Fairy

Did anyone else notice the little crosses with the note "Contains distinctly Christian content" next to most of IEW's theme-based writing lessons, including the history books? My charter school did, and now we can no longer order those books through the school. I don't disagree with this policy, btw, I'm just surprised. We've used some of the books in the past, and I can't remember anything particularly Christian about "All Things Fun and Fascinating" or "Fables, Myths, and Fairytales," but obviously it's there if IEW says it is (I no longer have my books so I can't check for myself).

I'm curious. Have any other charter schools stopped paying for IEW? Also, have you noticed that IEW materials in general have a particularly Christian pov?

Is that a "new" statement on the site?

I ordered the US History Based Lessons last year and was able to get it. This year, ds9 will be taking a IEW class at a charter school (not the one I am enrolled with) using the Medieval theme base unit.

My charter school is VERY strict about such policies but not always consistent. I wasn't able to get NOEO. Nothing sectarian about it, but the creators are Christians. However, I am able to purchase the Time Traveler cds, creators also Christian, and there is Christian content within it. :confused:

There is definitely Christian content in their ancient history themed program. That's the only one I've used. I was able to purchase IEW's TWSS via our charter school a couple of years ago. We've since left the charter, so I didn't use those funds to purchase the ancient history program.

Ancients & Medieval both contain a substantial amount of strong Christian bias. I don't remember FM&FT b/c it's been several years, but I am sure there was some in there as well.

In Ancients there is an essay assignment to compare the ancient (Greek or Roman?) gods with the "one true God of the Bible". . . There are many other things along those lines sprinkled through. We are liberal protestant Christians and we do OK with the IEW theme based religious stuff, but I would not want to use it for a school unless it was a Christian school that was comfortable teaching the superiority of Christianity.

I would imagine that the majority of their materials include this bias. Personally, it makes me sad to see so many wonderful materials limit their usefulness by mixing in evangelism, but that's just me. For our homeschool, I am comfortable adapting many of these materials, but I wouldn't want ANY teacher using them even with my kids (because I want to be able to edit/slant as needed), let alone a classroom of kids of mixed faithes.

It must be new, unless I just never noticed it before. As for your school being inconsistent, do you think they are aware that there is Christian content in some of the curriculum, and order it anyway?

No way. It's a "new" (maybe 9 years old) charter school so they do everything by the book. The inconsistency is really a pain.

Yes, several charter schools in California have added IEW to the do not order list. If orders come from IEW, they must be for items not labeled as having Christian content and must be defended. IEW orders are considered a red flag for auditors now.

(I work in a charter school).