Menu

OPGTTR for a kid that taught himself to read?

Alexa

I saw someone else mention using OPGTTR in K over a few months after their DC was already reading, so of course now I'm wondering if that's something I should be doing! DS (age 4) made it about halfway through Reading Made Easy and can almost anything I put in front of him. Would I gain anything from going through OPG or should I just let him keep reading?

Thanks for your help! :bigear:

I would do some sort of phonics program with him. I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was in TWTM) how some kids are able to pick up and read really well when they are young and it appears that they can skip phonics instruction. However, these kids seem to really hit a plateau around grade 4 reading levels and then reading becomes very hard for them because they were never taught phonics and they struggle to read more difficult words because of it.

I can't comment if you should use OPGTTR but yes, do some sort of phonics program with your ds.

HTH

The Peace Hill Press videos on youtube address this question here
. Susan says to use OPGTR but to have your child spell the words if they are already able to read them.

I was going to suggest viewing this as well.

I think you should work through a complete program (love OPGTR!) to the end, but skip, condense, modify, etc. as needed. I have done this somewhat with OPGTR. Sometimes we simply brush over a few lessons at a time to make sure there aren't any "holes" (plus, I figure it is good practice anyway). And if it is so easy for them, it shouldn't take but a few minutes a day. Using OPGTR more like a spelling program (with magnet letters-since he probably can't write as well as he can spell) is a great idea if you think it is better suited to your son's needs.

Thank you this is very helpful!

Should I just get a phonics-based spelling program like Apples & Pears or AAS? Is this what people use ETC for?

Since my 5.5. yo will soon finish OPG, I was wondering what to do for phonics next year in 1st. Someone here suggested AAS as our "reverse phonics," so that's what we're planning to do. HTH.

Thank you this is very helpful!

Should I just get a phonics-based spelling program like Apples & Pears or AAS? Is this what people use ETC for?

The problem is that with AAS or A&P progress is very slow, so it will take you a long time before you hit phonics concepts that you may still need to cover. Using OPGTR as a spelling program will get you through it in one year... using a spelling program for phonics instruction will take several years.

ETC is very good for this. It has teacher's manuals now too.

Perhaps it was me? My son taught himself to read before Kindergarten, but we used the book anyway. Made it through in about a semester or so. We skipped a lot of the scripting, and just had him read the child's portion. Only the last several lessons were much of a challenge. I just wanted to fill in any gaps he had.

We're doing kinda the same thing. I have ds read the word lists and the sentences at the end of the lesson. If he has any problems with it, we go back and do the lesson. He usually reads 3 lessons in one sitting.
I just thought I would explain why we went the spelling route... I had a couple of problems with that. DD was reading at 3rd grade level according to the school, but when going through OPGTR it was obvious she was doing most of it by sight and would find a couple of words per lesson that were a struggle. She hated sounding out and said that it was for babies. Spelling was easier to convince her to do...

Also just pulling out the OPG book was balked at because she "already knew how to read and didn't need it, it is for babies, etc."

But, she is a 2X child, so that makes things more of a struggle for us.

I'm glad that you asked this because my 4 year old DS picked up reading on his own. I have no idea how he did it. He's my child that really puzzles me. :001_huh: I've been putting off ordering OPGTR but you all have convinced me that I need it. Heading to amazon to place another order...

Yes, do it! Though I was in no hurry to begin studies/lessons, my 2yo ds started sounding out words, so I wanted something around to guide me through the proper progression of phonics (what order should he learn things? is he leaving anything out?) I have loved OPGTR. I don't always use it as scripted, btw. He has continued to learn how to read much on his own. It's as if he's always a little ahead of me. Many times I go over a lesson with him and it is as if someone came along and taught it to him before I had a chance to, but I go over it with him anyway to make sure he really does know it and there aren't any "holes".

DD the Elder taught herself to read at a young age. I had her read through the word lists and "stories" only (i.e. no lessons) in OPGTTR and saved any discussion of phonics for spelling.