MellowYellow

We just started our fourth week of K5!

We are doing~

Abeka Letters & Sounds (phonics)

First Language Lessons

Abeka handwriting

Saxon Math

Galloping the Globe (geography)

Abeka's My America My World History (1x/wk)

Misc. science similar to what is recommended for 1st grade in WTM, right now we're doing animals. :)

Sonlight K read-alouds in our own order.

It's been a rough first 3 weeks and we've adjusted a lot. This morning was spectacular, however, I think we've found some things that are a good "fit" for us.

Phonics: OPGTR & Bob books (hope to progress to real books by the end of the year)

Math: MEP R (I am already planning different activities to reinforce what she is learning - MEP is REALLY out of the box thinking for her)

Writing: HWT

with her sister: Bible, Science, and History

Here is what she is doing.

Phonics - Phonics Pathways daily

Math - BJU math 3 times a week

Writing - a variety of things including copywork and intentional writing which is drawing a picture and writing a sentence about something you want to do then doing it. For her age, she dictates the sentence to me, I write it, and she copies it.

Art - We'll be doing an artist study. Plus we're doing some drawing and watercolor and lots of free play art.

Science - We'll go on lots of nature walks and draw pictures of what we see. She's also working through some science kits then telling me about how the experiment worked.

Stories - Everyday we'll have a different type of story which she will retell later in the day.

Other - She's taking art class, ballet, and swim lessons plus she will attend a once a week enrichment school for science, art, pe, and music.

Our schedule is very strange and not quite worked out yet. It won't help anyone but me. My hubby and I both work full-time mostly from home and my mom lives with us most of the years and helps with the kids. They each have a checklist that we follow during the day. Our day kind of goes like this:

Nature walk

breakfast

story

poem

math (if its a math day)

some time while t hey are somewhere else so I can work

lunch

play

phonics

story

play

writing

art

play

dinner

nature walk

bike ride

bath

story

bed

story

Last year when she was 4 - she just had art, stories, free play and then math or phonics whenever she was interested.

Edited by Karen in CO

We are just beginning - today was our first day! So all this may change.... I really have no idea whether this is a good plan or not!

Our curriculum choices are in my signature. We are trying to keep it very simple.

We start at 8:30 and do 15 minutes each of Bible, math, handwriting and reading. Then we break for kids to play and me to do chores, make lists etc.

We may do some science experiments from Janice VanCleave's preschool books. And we visit our very hands-on, kid-friendly Nature center for programs four times a year or so.

We do 15 minutes of non-fiction read aloud and 30 of fiction somewhere in the day. Non-fiction is history, science and biography. Fiction right now is Winnie the Pooh. (Got our booklist from Sonlight and tweaked it a bit.)

DH will start art with DD 2x a week in Sept.

She has ballet and choir each 1x a week. We would do this even without HSing.

Story time at the library every other week.

We do work on Bible memory and catechism regularly, but we would do that even without HSing.

hth! have fun!

OOPS! Forgot you asked for curriculum AND schedule. My K's schedule is:

7:00 Listen to History during breakfast

7:30 Have roomtime (1 hr)

8:30 Get dressed for day

9:00 Play outside (too hot in the afternoon)

10:00 Bible with sister

10:20 HWT (5 min)

10:25 OPG (15 min)

10:40 MEP R (15 min)

10:55 Science activity w/sister

11:15 Bob book

Done by 11:30

Less than an hour of concentrated, sit-down work each day.

I have a young 4 yr old K'er, who is doing OPG, horizons k, Bible, and Handwriting I make myself. She has the option of doing History, science, and geography with her sister but she isn't required if she isn't up to it that day.

We just started today but we did bible right after breakfast then did her math then reading and then handwriting. I should have done handwriting right after bible though because by time we got it she was tired of writing and didn't want to do anymore after a couple of lines.

Tomorrow will be a normal day, today we didn't get started until later because we had breaky with daddy. Tomorrow we will do bible during breakfast, then we will move onto our other subjects. We should finish earlier tomorrow then today. We were done with her work today by 9:45am.

Breakfast 7:30 (bible time too)

Handwriting 8 am

reading 8:15 am

Math 8:45 am

we should be done by about 9:15 am.

I bought the Memoria Press curriculum guide for my Ker. We will only be using parts of it, (memory, literature, crafts, poetry, some bits of math) since I already have other things.

Our daily work looks like this:

Phonics--OPGTR, BOB books, and various homemade alphabet games

Math--dot to dot books, the R&S workbooks recommended in MP K curriculum, but not the whole math program (we got Counting with Numbers and Finding the Answers) along with beginning Cuisensaire rod play and various homemade counting/adding games with manipulatives

Story time--following the MP guide, for both literature and poetry

Memory work--mix of our own and MP

Handwriting/copywork Mem. Press' Copybook I

She joins her older brother for science and history when she feels like it.

It looks like alot, but it took us less than 45 min today (she opted not to join us for history!) As for a schedule, well we haven't really hit our stride yet, but generally we all start together with prayers and bible time, then she stays to do her work until she finishes, while big brother occupies baby sister. When she is done, they trade and I work with him. Generally I just do things in order until we are done or we need a break. I always start with phonics, followed by math, then memory, then copywork and finally the story and/or craft, which I save as a treat at the end. I like to hit the most important subjects early when she is fresh. And don't worry--she is read to everyday, whether we get to it in school or not.:D

We're continuing with MEP Yr 1 and Explode the Code which we started in a slow, easy way last year. We're adding AAS, BFSU (along with Evan Moor books and RSO) for Science, the Activities for RS Abacus and some time/money workbooks (ds is real interested in these). For History/Social Studies, we're doing a brief overview of early US History so they're familiar with Pilgrims, Washington, Independence, etc., then doing a Geography study of each Continent (physical geography, culture/people, habitats/animals), then starting prehistory and SOTW 1 (although by the time we get here it may be 1st grade ;)).

We don't really have a strict schedule, more a guideline/order of events. I try to have only one kid at a time doing something that requires help.

-Literature read-alouds during breakfast

-ds does ETC (which he needs some oversight) while dd does bingo dabber letter or number pages (can do independently).

-ds does handwriting pages (independently - usually in Crayola wipe-off activity center) while dd does Get Ready for the Code (will need help).

-Sit together and read from Emergent/Leveled readers with ds doing some of the reading.

-ds does AAS (needs help obviously) while dd plays with "Tot Bins" that are set up for her to do independently.

-ds does Math (needs help) while dd plays with "Tot Bins".

If there's any more time before lunch (usually is), they will both play with the Tot Bins or do cutting/coloring/playdoh/play outside.

-Literature read-aloud during lunch

-After lunch we do Science or History together - a movie and/or read-aloud and activity each day.

-Then we take a Nature Walk (about 1/4 mile to our mailbox :D) or play a game/do something active.

We are K here too...doing what is in the signature plus a few extras.

I don't have a set schedule of subjects we cover, usually Bible, math and science. Bible and science are slated for the am and math is at night before bed. I also toss in read alouds/reading through out the day.

Phonics: OPGTR, Steck-Vaughn workbook( from a bin my mom passed down from her 1st grade class), Happy Phonics. I also just ordered AAS for her sister and the readers that go with it to see if it fits my Kindy-girl now.

Handwriting: Reason for Handwriting K

Math: Miquon, Right Start games, and calendar time are our staples. ... I also have bits and pieces of workbooks left over from older sis that I'll pull out as needed, Singapore EB, Horizons K, etc....

Everything Else: MFW Adventures with older sis

Our schedule: we do phonics, math, and handwriting 4 days a week. Adventures has a schedule that covers art, history, Bible, and science.

She also does Suzuki violin and various PE activities.

We have a loose schedule - generally we do phonics before breakfast (7:45ish, breakfast is at 8), then other language arts at 8:30 plus read-alouds. Sometimes we do history or math before 10. At 10:45 we do whatever is left. Lunch is at 11:30

What are we doing?

Phonics: OPGTR & Explode the Code. He also reads to me from Bob Books, the McGuffey primer, and beginning readers from the library.

Language Arts, Other: Handwriting Without Tears, WWE 1, FLL 1, and ReadyWriter. Literature is either "just good books" or selections from the SOTW 1 AG.

Arithmetic: Right Start A, and in a few more weeks, we'll add in Miquon.

History: SOTW 1 & AG (we started in K at his & his sister's request, so they could study ancients together :))

Science: Very loosey-goosey. We have a bunch of Let's Read and Find Out science books, some Magic School Bus books, and some experiment kits.

Fine Arts: He goes to Master's Academy once a week, which does art, music, and drama, both skills & appreciation, to some extent. We also listen to Classics for Kids podcasts, and do art projects from Preschool Art or How To Teach Art to Children.

He also has memory work for math, history, science, poetry, language arts, and what I call "life skills" (telephone numbers, who the president is, etc.).

Oak Meadow. :) We'll be using the Oak Meadow Kindergarten Syllabus, the Oak Meadow First Book Of Crafts, the Oak Meadow First Book Of Fairy Tales, "Wee Sing Children's Songs & Fingerplays," and, for health, activities pulled from the book "Growing, Growing Strong."

We'll be starting next month and I expect it to take 1 to 1 1/2 hours per day.

Here's what his first week will look like:

Lesson 1 (9/6/10-9/10/10)

Monday 9/6/10:

Arts & Crafts: Make a fall seasonal table, decorating with things that represent fall to us. Can use things we find on a nature walk or get at a store- things like pumpkins, gourds, leaves, acorns, corn, etc. More ideas in Oak Meadow First Book Of Crafts. (We will either use a small toddler-sized table set up in a corner of our living room, or we will use the window sill in our living room's bay window).

Health: Read Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Bare Naked BookĂ¢â‚¬ (or other book about bodies for young children). Talk about how bodies are different.

Talk about how to protect your body, and types of protective equipment: helmets, elbow and knee and wrist pads, sunglasses, goggles, ear plugs, gloves, sunscreen, etc. Show him some of these things if we have them here.

Use a tape measure, scales, or other measuring equipment to see how tall each family member is, how long their feet are, and how much they weigh.

Since this is the first day of school, perhaps make him a small "poster" that lists his grade, his height and weight, put his hand print somewhere on it using finger paint, and take a "first day of school" picture and print it to add to this paper. Display it, and then save it as a first day of Kindergarten memory.

Tuesday 9/7/10:

Language Arts/Social Studies: Tell the story of Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Magic Spindle.Ă¢â‚¬ See page 1 in Ă¢â‚¬Å“A First Book Of Fairy Tales.Ă¢â‚¬

Ask him to use crayons to draw a picture of a haystack (which represents the letter "A" in the story) in his main lesson book.

Ask him to make the letter Ă¢â‚¬Å“AĂ¢â‚¬ from clay or beeswax.

Teach him the tongue twister on Page 1. Read it through once, then ask him to listen for the "A" sound as I read it again. Practice it several times throughout the day if he wants to learn it.

Wednesday 9/8/10:

Language Arts/Social Studies: Help him gather sticks/twigs and tie them in bundles to form an Ă¢â‚¬Å“A.Ă¢â‚¬

Ask him to draw the letter Ă¢â‚¬Å“AĂ¢â‚¬ with a stick in the dirt.

Help him find tree branches that fork. Tie a piece of yarn between the forks to form the letter Ă¢â‚¬Å“A.Ă¢â‚¬ Do many AĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s!

Do the following Ă¢â‚¬Å“Spatial OrientationĂ¢â‚¬ exercises: 1. Walk the shape of an "A" drawn with a stick in the dirt. 2. Walk the shape of an "A" without it being drawn in the dirt. 3. Run the shape of the letter "A" drawn in the dirt, then run the shape of the letter "A" not drawn in the dirt.

Thursday 9/910:

Science: Do Week 1 in the science curriculum for Fall- briefly recall summer. Ask him to remember the sounds, smells and sights of summer. Ask him to draw a picture of summer and enter this picture into his science scrapbook. May also gather some flowers and press them for our summer picture.

Friday 9/10/10:

Math: Introduce the number 1 (see page B-4 for qualitative values and story suggestions for the numbers 1-10). Make the number 1 from clay or beeswax.

Music: Listen to a Wee Sing song, learn a fingerplay.

---

More generally:

Mondays will be Arts & Crafts and Health

Tuesdays will be Language Arts/Social Studies

Wednesdays will be Language Arts/Social Studies

Thursdays will be Science

Fridays will be Math and Music & Movement

OM is much more laid back, hands on, story-based, nature-based, craft based, etc than other curricula... slower paced, less stress on heavy academics in the earliest grades and so on. I love that about it. It focuses on fairy tales, music and movement, nature, learning the uppercase letters of the alphabet, and the numbers 1 to 10.

My K'er is 6, so we have a mix of levels.

9:00 Handwriting using Memoria Press K First Start Reading

9:30 OPGTR phonics

10:00 Math with RS A (last 3rd, then on to Level B)

11:00 Science/History alternating - Elemental Science Intro & SOTW 1

12:00 Lunch

12:30 Read-alouds including Bible & corresponding History Reading

1-3 Nap/Quiet time

We have a 4-day week with Wednesday as project day - we do an Artistic Pursuits lesson, a hands-on history project from the SOTW AG, and read a Fairy Tale (for cultural literacy). The times listed above also include lots of breaks for snacks & legos as nothing ever takes as long as I have scheduled.

My daughter won't be 5 until December, so this is pre-k for her.

reading: OPGTR and various readers

handwriting: HWT K

memory work: poetry of her choice

math: RightStart A and MEP Reception Year

science: BFSU and nature study

social studies: world cultures using Children Just Like Me, WeeSing Around the World, and lots of picture books

Spanish: Salsa, music, and picture books

art: Mary Ann Kohl's books for inspiration

literature: daily read alouds

We don't do all of this every day. We do OPGTR on the dry erase board every morning after breakfast. That's our priority because she realllly wants to be able to read more interesting books, and she's definitely ready. I read aloud at meal times and bed time (and randomly throughout the day). We do the other stuff when we feel like it, maybe 2-3 times a week.

She also has gymnastics, library story time, and art class once a week, and we're discussing adding ballet. We just joined a homeschool group and hope to get involved this year.

I have a 6, 5, and 4 yo this year and we are doing a LOT together...we are on basically the same material but w/ different levels. The 5yo is "K", the 4yo is slightly below that and the 6yo is slightly above.

I am using MEP math w/ 5yo and Horizons w/ 6yo (b/c we have a donated copy).

They are both doing HWT as well as Explode the Code. My 6yo is a leftie and he needs more handwriting practice than the 5yo.

The 4yo joins in for art time and read aloud time. She "does" Starfall daily.

The ONLY difference is the spelling word lists that my 6yo is doing...10 words every Friday. The 5yo isn't quite ready for that yet.

We are also doing several other things mixed in just for fun: Download N Go unit studies from The Old Schoolhouse, weekly library story time/presentations (beekeeping, canning, etc.), local zoo/nature center about once per month, lapbooking projects from homeschoolshare.com, and other "free" things like that. We haven't started formal science or history yet, but we do cover those subjects in the extra activities in a loose way.

They are also all playing Soccer this fall w/ the rec department.

Schedule? We don't really have a concrete one.

We get up at 6 to send 9yo *stepson* off to the bus stop and then we eat breakfast, get fully awake, and then make sure the kitchen and table are wiped down before we start "work".

I have that in quotations b/c we are having SUCH a good time and enjoying each other's company so much we don't really think of it as work.

We do our handwriting/explode the code/starfall before lunch and library time before as well. Eat Lunch.

Then the afternoons are for sports practice, weekly crafts, and the extras.

We are not schedule dependent...and it works well for us at this stage. Next year, when we are going to cover science and history as well more formally, we will be more rigid, I believe.

Sorry for long ramble. :) :)

My ds5 is doing a few things. We are using MFW 1st, a lot of read alouds I picked from Sonlight as well as others, A Beka Handbook for Reading, science recommendations from MFW and WTM, Drawing With Children, Intro to the Orchestra, and Singapore Earlybird B/1A.

I plan on it all taking no more than 2 hours. I try to start by 9:30, do math, phonics, break, writing, reading, lunch. I plan that 4 days a week. Then one day is science, art, and music. I have 3 younger children, so sometimes we get a lot of "breaks". But we have quiet time when the littlest 2 sleep, so we also will read for an hour during that time and we also read in the evening. We do a lot of reading at our house.

MFW 1st has handwriting mixed with his phonics and reading, and I feel that at his age and motor skill development, it's enough for the time being. I am interested in doing some geography as well, but we may wait until we get a routine down to incorporate that.

I tried talking my dh into giving our ds piano lessons, but he doesn't think he can commit. (He works close to 80 every week and often a lot more.) And we have no piano.

I am curious about AAS and wonder what others think about using it in K/1st.

My K student turns five in a few weeks, and misses our state cutoff by days. We're doing K work with her, but we're not calling this our official K year (yet - still undecided.)

She's halfway through MUS/Primer. In the Spring we'll move forward to MUS/Alpha and go at a relaxed pace. We only do math on the days she asks for it; usually one lesson over 3-4 days each week.

Other than that, this year we will focus on reading. We're not using any specific program, just reading lots and covering phonics rules as they arise. We're not doing any specific handwriting program, just making sure she writes something every day.

She's tagging along her big brother in anatomy (crafts/projects only - his "test" is to successfully teach what he's learned to her) and a study of the US States (she handwrites the state name; colors the flag, bird, plant; finds the appropriate sticker and places it correctly on the map.) She also sits in on readalouds, especially history-related.

My daughter is an older Kindergartner, so keep that in mind when looking at my list. She had a lot of input.

We're starting on Monday. We will have about 2 1/2 hours in the mornings when her brother is in preschool. We'll be getting together with some other families for a co-op sort of thing on Wednesdays. I anticipate that we'll also go to a museum or to the zoo at least twice a month on one of the other days, which will make those days lighter on other schoolwork.

We're going to try using a weekly checklist, instead of a daily schedule. My daughter is very interested in getting to decide for herself when to do which parts of her work for the week, but she understands that there are certain things that need to get done. We'll see how it works out -- we can always change it!

Here is our checklist:

Reading Lessons - 4 per week (finish OPGTR)

Reading out loud (her) - 15 minutes, 4 times per week

English read-alouds - 4 sessions per week

Handwriting - 4 pages per week

Miquon lab sheets - 7 per week

MEP lessons, selected problems - 4 per week

German workbook pages - 9 per week (this is a reading curriculum for native speakers)

German read-alouds - 4 sessions per week

Science activity - 1 per week (Lego WeDo robotics, rocks & minerals, possibly other stuff)

Science read-alouds - 2 per week (mostly animals tied in to geography)

Social Studies activity - 1 per week (tracking weather around the world, map work)

Social Studies read-alouds - 3 per week (we're doing geography of my own devising)

Art activity - 1 per week (drawing lessons, artist studies based on art museum visits)

Piano lesson - 1 per week (with dad)

Music appreciation - 1 per week (Classics for Kids or Do Re Mikro, a similar German podcast)

Physical Education - 5 times per week

Health - occasional, not as often as once a week (Magic School Bus Germs science kit)

Of course, this stuff isn't all going to happen during our core school hours -- some of the reading will happen at bedtime, the piano lesson is in the evening with dad, PE is in the afternoon when her brother is not in school, etc.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading (2-3x a week)

Handwriting worksheets from dollar store 2x/week

Math Mammoth 1a & 1b once the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op closes... until then, we're continuing with MEP (3-4x a week)

FIAR (sort of) - I have a list of 1 book per week... some are from FIAR, some are from various other sources and we're making them a short unit study... This week is The Runaway Bunny, next week is Curious George, then The Very Hungry Caterpillar, then we're moving on to more meaty stuff. ;)

Harcourt science w/workbook (will be 2x a week when we get to this in week 8)

Abeka Health/Safety/Manners (2x a week for 7 weeks)

Abeka My Country, My World (1-2x a week)

Lots of phonics readers/story time

Tons of free play time

Oh and we're doing the Art Pac 1 once a week

I've divided all of our books and lessons into 36 weeks and will be dividing all the work into 5 days as we come up to each week... so the days per week are approximate. :)

We just started today and she enjoys it so far. We're pretty loose around here... As long as it gets done, free play the rest of the day is fine by me!

I don't have a set schedule with times, but hoping for more of a routine with my (almost) 5.5 year old DS.

Math: Rightstart B, possibly supplemented with Singapore 1A Intensive Practice

Phonics: ETC 3 (he's a good reader already, so this might get dropped, or might just be used for handwriting practice)

Grammar: FLL1 (3 times a week)

Spelling: AAS1 (4 times a week, 15 minutes each time)

Handwriting: HWT 1st grade

Geography: Galloping the Globe (3 times a week) - (kinda, more to help me organize, but I'm not using all the resources it recommends)

Science: BFSU (2 times a week)

Art: Drawing with Children (once a week)

Read alouds: taking from AO Year 0, and anything else I feel like reading to him

Writing: WWE1 might get started mid-year, after finishing the handwriting book.

So, Math, Handwriting, and ETC are planned for every day. Geography is planned for M/W/F, and Science for T/Th. FLL is M/W/F. AAS is M-Th, and Art is planned for F. Readalouds are ideally every day, but I imagine some of the supplementary books for Geography and Science might just be counted as readaloud time.

I realize it looks like a lot for a K5er, but we did a lot of Kindergarten curriculum last year (OPGTR, Rightstart A, HWT K), and he's already reading well, so we're starting to slide into first grade territory, but still calling him a K-er.

We accidentally started Kindergarten in February (we school year-round), but here's what we do...

My Father's World K (maybe 3 days a week)

CLE Learn to Read (whenever she drags the workbook over to me - about twice a week)

Singapore Earlybird Math (4 days a week)

Selections from Sonlight K (we're on Winnie the Pooh right now - which is awesome)

5 yro is reading very simple 3-4 letter words right now, writing words by sounding them out (she's writing signs to the 2 yro to "go away" and "No baby").

We're still not forming our letters correctly (I think she draws them) and sight words upset her because they don't follow her phonics rules. She also has about a 30 minute attention span for school. Anyway, that's where we are... :cool: I'm guessing this is pretty average for K.

For my 5 yo:

Bible: 101 Fav Bible Stories, next day KJV of the same story, R&S Bible story, then repeat the same line up starting with 101 Fav.

Phonics: Phonics Pathways with reading from McGuffey Primer

Handwriting: what ever hw sheet I have on hand

Motor skills, etc: R&S wkbk series

Math: Ruth Beechick check list and will move into R&S math soon

Science: FIAR and lots of critters in jars. She also likes to watch Magic Schoolbus. We do also read from CLP Nature Reader at times.

History: Mainly Bible, but we do occasionally read from a CLP reader.

We also sing the diddys of days of the week and months of the year. She pretty much has them down, but we like to practice to keep it fresh.

She gets a lot from FIAR that you would not ordinarily see in a K program; things like literary terms, etc.

Of course she gets lots of painting, legos, etc.

We also have wkbks from Toys R Us that she works in at will.

The above looks like a lot but we don't do everything every day and I never take longer than 30 mins to do school.

We are still in our K year (started in Jan....going until Dec). Here's what we are using:

McRuffy SE Phonics & Reading

McRuffy Color Math

McRuffy Science / Science Excursion

Horizons Health

Baby Lambs Art Book / Singapore Nursery & Kindergarten Art

Pianimals

[/url]

There's probably more miscellaneous things we are doing that I didn't list. We haven't done a lot with social studies / history...but we will be in 1st. We also started Workboxes....which have been a huge hit. Here's just one of the many links. Ask for more if you are interested.

http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/workbox-directory/

My DS is also an older K-er, so his curriculum is more 1st than K. He's using:

HOD Beyond with my 3rd grader--pretty much as is, covers history, science, Bible, copywork, spelling, read-alouds

Singapore 1a and 1b workbooks coordinate with HOD hand's on math lessons

ETC 1 and 2

McGuffey Readers (and other early readers)

Little Contenders for the Faith--for handiwork, health, etc.

Last year (age 4/5) his did the following:

ETC primers

Singapore Essential Mathematics

McGuffey readers (added towards the end of the year)

FIAR

Artpac 1

We're doing K this year. You can see our curricula in my signature. We don't have a schedule, because with both parents working and an active 18-month-old in the house we need to be very, very adaptable. But, for example, here is what we're doing this week:

Monday:

Mom reads aloud this week's Five in a Row book, "A Pair of Red Clogs."

Geography: Find Japan, Tokyo, and the Sea of Japan on the map; discuss the fact that Japan is made up of islands, is not very large, and has a large population.

Social Studies: Read other books about Japan and discuss Japanese culture. Watch the video Big Bird in Japan.

Art: Explore the beautiful variety of Japanese rice papers. Make origami butterflies and study other examples of origami.

Reading: Alex reads aloud a book of her choice, taken from a basket of appropriate-level library books.

Math: One page of MEP level 1a.

Chapter book read-aloud: Two chapters of Roald Dahl's The BFG.

Tuesday:

Dad reads aloud this week's Five in a Row book.

Social Studies: Find Japan and Tokyo on the map again. Field trip to Asian grocery store to further explore Japanese culture.

Reading: She reads aloud a book of her choice, taken from a basket of appropriate-level library books.

Math: Dad and Alex set up a miniature "market" like the one pictured in the book and practice selling each other things, to reinforce money identification and counting skills.

Chapter book read-aloud: Two chapters of The BFG.

Wednesday:

Science: Visit Nature Center and explore the exhibits.

Phys Ed: Hike at Nature Center.

Reading: She reads aloud a book of her choice.

Thursday:

Mom reads aloud this week's Five in a Row book.

Language Arts: What is a frame story? Do we have any other books that use a frame story?

Handwriting: For copywork, trace and then copy the phrase "A pair of red clogs."

Art: Visit the Asian art collection at the local art museum to see Japanese ceramics and prints.

Friday:

Mom reads aloud this week's Five in a Row book.

Science: How do meteorologists predict the weather? (FIAR tie-in.)

Social Studies: Continue to explore Japanese culture through picture books and web resources, including a child-appropriate anime cartoon. Dinner in a tatami room at a Japanese restaurant.

For my 5 YO DS. I'm still working on schedule, but this is what we're covering. (I guess it's about time I put this in my signature.)

Phonics/Reading/Spelling/Penmanship: The Phonics Road

Math: Right Start Level A with some Singapore Early Bird (he's very mathy and often asks for more, so I thought I'd throw this in when he wants more to do)

Science: Keeping it at the level of nature study

Bible: The Child's Story Bible plus memory

Latin: Song School Latin

History: Beautiful Feet Books Early American History Guide

Violin

Lots of great read alouds!!

Also considering throwing in Spanish and a formal Geography course, but I may be crazy.

We're half way through our K year (year round school, started K Feb.).

We settled on:

1. Phonics focus--I See Sam and Orton-Gillingham phonogram based instruction

2. RightStart A w/ some MEP for math

3. HOD LHFHG for history, literature, science, art etc.

4. Karen Henley materials along with HOD for bible

5. Salsa Spanish

6. Handwriting Without Tears

I intend to regularly add some extras I purchased long ago including Science Excursion K and How to Teach Art to Children but right now we're focusing on other areas so I'm not sure when they will regularly fall into place.

Lessons are intentionally short so we've got plenty of time for play, exploring, and read alouds. I plan to be more intentional about Art Study and some other CM tweaks to our days.

Edited by sbgrace

My dd turns 5 in a couple months, but we are doing some K work.

Math - Singapore Earlybird K

Phonics - OPG and Explode the Code 1

Handwriting - Zaner-Bloser K

Geography - learn about a different country every week (Galloping the Globe -ish)

Science - Sonlight Science K

And we are doing a theme every week that my ds2 can do with us. This includes read alouds and art projects.

Oh and for read alouds we are using a mix of Sonlight P3/4 and P4/5 with whatever additions I come across. :001_smile:

We do school everyday for about an hour or so, except Wednesday is light since my dc have swimming.

My 3rd child will be 5 on Aug. 24th.

We're using....

The Reading Lesson (He's doing great with this, but I may add ETC or other phonics wkbk.)

HOD Little Hands For His Glory and their recommendations for everything else

some parts of MFW K occasionally (because he really wants to do what he watched his big brother do 2 yrs ago!)

We are doing a preK/K mix I suppose. We have no schedule.

Math: RightStart A, MEP, Singapore Earlybird B (just finished A)

Phonics Pathways

Handwriting: Startwrite, which ever letters she tells me she wants to write

Science: my own plans (currently insects) and numerous nature walks

Spanish: Rod and Staff Nivel A

Geography: one country every 2 weeks, currently going around Africa

Our K4 list is in my signature. We do have a loose daily schedule/plan as follows....

M - OPGTR, HWT workbook, HWT review w/ manipulatives

T - McGuffey's, math workbook, fine motor activity

W - OPGTR, HWT workbook, Math Card Games

R - McGuffey's, math workbook, fine motor activity

F - OPGTR, HWT workbook, baking activity with Mom :)

This usually takes 30 minutes or less each day. Plus we do read alouds, art etc... at various times.

We're just starting out, and I don't know how this plan will work for us, so it may change once we put it into practice. I made up a plan based on my state's standards, the Core Knowledge Series, various book lists, and things I wanted to incorporate. I have a very loose schedule set up- more X times per week as opposed to any set times.

Phonics: OPG (daily) and ETC (3x week), along with Bob Books, Easy Readers, Seuss, etc.

Literature (read alouds): About 15 books per month that I chose from various recommended book lists. Daily

Also, I chose 2 FIAR selections for each month, and will be loosely following that- we likely won't do it for 5 days though.

Math: Rightstart A

Handwriting: HWT 2x week, plus real life stuff

Social Studies: Totally made up, and mostly based on library books. Light stuff, more for fun. 2x week

Science: Also made up/light stuff for fun, based on library books, plus some experiments from Mudpies to Magnets and Science Play. 2x week

Logic: Lollipop Logic, once a week

Art: whatever sounds fun. Often based on the season, or tied into something we're working on. 1x week