Menu

WWYD?......Spelling

TracyP

Last year I bought AAS to use with my kids. Part way through level 2 I decided to cover our phonics bases before moving on to spelling. So we went through Phonics Pathways quick to make sure she had a solid phonics foundation. The plan was to start back up with AAS but now I am second guessing.

She will be 7 next month. Here is a list she made (I italicized mistakes):

Sunday

bath

get dressed

grab snacks

clean Josh's bedroom

brush hair

brush theeth

pick up drity cloths

grab waters

say goodbye and then leave

I like AAS and will keep it since I have 4 more kids coming behind her but I think it is a waste of our time to put that kind of focus on spelling. So, do you agree or disagree? If you agree that AAS is not the way to go what do you recommend?

Reminds me of my oldest. I decided to hold off on formal spelling and periodically tested her with the Schonell spelling test. She always scored several grades ahead on that. This year DD has asked to do spelling, and an amazingly nice lady in my support group gave me her old copy of Spelling Power. It looks great for a "natural" speller since it's totally individualized.

I'm still trying to figure out where to place DD in SP. So far, she has gotten the following results:

Placement test E: 18/25 (SP says place in E; however several of those mistakes seemed careless so I gave her the end-of-level test)

End-of-Level test E: 25/26 (I decided to give her the placement test for F)

Placement test F: 23/25 (SP says take placement test G)

The words she missed (the ones I felt were careless errors have asterisks):

disapointed (disappointed)

*goverment (government)

calender (calendar)

resteraunt (restaurant)

buffallo (buffalo)

*temprature (temperature)

*supprised (surprised)

*shoudn't (shouldn't)

Conneticut (Connecticut)

babysitter (baby-sitter)

I'm planning to see how she does on the end-of-level test for F and placement test G. If I do decide to place her in F or G, I'll probably have her start with some of the harder lists from E like the place names.

I might be completely alone in my thoughts but here goes -

I have a natural speller too. We will see AAS through to the end. It doesn't take much time at all and we are speeding through it currently in level 3. I love how the dictation complements so well with my writing aims. I love how explicit it is.

My DD was writing a letter to her friend today. She asked how to spell 'chicken', was it c or k in the middle. We chatted about it and she remembered the rule from AAS that is was ck and continued on. I didn't have to spell it or correct it, just prompt.

Anyway, just my 0.02c :)

We tried Spelling Power with our natural speller. It didn't require any effort from him and he spelled nearly every word in each day's list correctly. I decided that it was not an efficient use of our time. (I believe using the program the way we were was enabling his perfectionistic tendencies. He was so used to getting the words right, that he would have a real problem when he got any wrong!) Anyway, he was picking up spelling through reading and was advancing several grade levels per year even without a spelling curriculum.

I use All About Spelling with my younger child who has dyslexia. It works well for her. She puts in effort and has shown heaps of improvement. I'll keep using it.

my $.02

i would go back to it and either speed the pace (is that possible?) or just allow it to be a confidence builder ... a "slam dunk" subject.

could you skip a level?

honestly, having a natural speller myself who is your child's age, i've debated this .....

and after arguing with myself i've resolved that being OVERLY systematic and too comprehensive on something as foundational as spelling (or anything related to language arts or math) is never a waste of time. :)

again, my $.02.

i drool at the AAS but haven't taken the plunge yet. it is without a doubt what i will choose when we can afford to. we're using How To Teach Spelling right now and it's VERY fun for us to tailor it to my son's pace. I also keep on hand the Natural Speller book .... it helps me see the bigger picture yet also be systematic. DS and I love words so this isn't a problem for us.

Thanks for the input ladies.

Amber, I debated doing exactly what you are doing but with baby due in Dec (I know you hear me there;)) and a move coming at the end of this month I dread what feels like a waste of time - even if it is only 15 min. I do love AAS though, sigh. What do plan on doing after you finish AAS?

I do have Natural Speller. I believe it is similar to Spelling Power. Maybe I'll just use that for now. I could just have her work on words/patterns that she misspells in her writing and revisit the issue when I'm feeling a bit more settled.

My son is like this. We used Spelling Power last year and it was a good fit spelling wise. He cranked through four levels. Unfortunately, every time he missed a word on the pretest, he had a fit, so we are switching to Megawords this year. I have the first four levels of AAS here as well, but that would drive him completely nuts.

Thanks for the input ladies.

Amber, I debated doing exactly what you are doing but with baby due in Dec (I know you hear me there;)) and a move coming at the end of this month I dread what feels like a waste of time - even if it is only 15 min. I do love AAS though, sigh. What do plan on doing after you finish AAS?

I do have Natural Speller. I believe it is similar to Spelling Power. Maybe I'll just use that for now. I could just have her work on words/patterns that she misspells in her writing and revisit the issue when I'm feeling a bit more settled.

If I had a natural speller, young kids, and a baby due, I would take the year off from formal spelling.

Tracy,

I really like AAS too. I'd like my natural speller (with an excellent visual memory) to learn the reasons behind the spelling. Unfortunately, the fact that he can already spell the words in AAS, coupled with the repetition, would drive him batty. I haven't touched a spelling program with him in years. He rarely misspells anything. But there are times that I wished he knew "the rules." What to do?

I make sure to do the AAS lessons with his younger sister when he's within earshot. (He's the "eavesdropping" type.) Sometimes I have him teach her the lesson or guide her through some of her review. Voila. Two birds with one stone.

In the past, when I was homeschooling with a new baby, I was very protective of our time. I streamlined quite a bit. If I were in your shoes I'd chop the AAS for sure.

Congratulations on the newest little one!

I know where you are at on the baby front and with a move ahead of you. We just moved ourselves :)

In that case certainly put spelling on the back burner. Take the year off, or whatever you need. I would make sure though that when you are correcting her writing that you are explaining the why behind the word so that she does understand where she went wrong and why. Hopefully that will be enough to get it right the next time. Oh, and by writing i mean school stuff, not for fun.

As far as where to go next I have not completely decided. I have a few thoughts running around in my head, Megawords and/or Spelling Wisdom are at the top of my thoughts at the moment. I think for a natural speller with a great foundation spelling via dictation sounds like the way to go, but we will see when we get that far. I have heard great things about Megawords too :D

Oh, and i might not bother with anything at all depending on where we go with writing. So many decisions but thankfully plenty of time :tongue_smilie:

The "whys" behind it is exactly the reason I like AAS so much. The 1 1/2 levels we have gone through taught *me* rules I never knew. Megawords looks awesome too. But for now, you are all right. Spelling is going on the back burner for awhile. Thanks!:001_smile:

And in two hours my no internet time starts while we move and get settled in our new house.:willy_nilly:What will I do without this place?:lol: