Menu

Plan for 10 year old

dmrranch

Hi, everyone! Please help me think this through!

I starting transitioning from CM to more TWTM last year. Pulled her from public school in kindergarten and used Sonlight to teach reading. Here is what we have done and are looking at for this year.

Spelling: We haven't started a "program". We are finishing up Explode The Code 7 & 8. (She mainly does these on her own. We stepped out of these books while in Sonlight and when we came back, because she loved them, I had her start where we left off even though it was easy for her. I tested her using Spelling Power assessment and she is at lower 4th grade level. Any spelling we have done has been through letters to friends, journal, etc. Basically, correcting her spelling in what she has been writing as we finish up the phonics books.

Grammar/Writing: Have been using narration and dictation. No formal programs until last year. I have read WWE. Added R&S 3rd grade and are currently in that book. She does resist writing. Seems to be somewhat of a perfectionist. Wants things to be right the first time. She's this way with all of her subjects.

(Recently looked at Classical Writing and it seems they incorporate all of the above into their program. Really liked that about Sonlight LA. (The passage you were reading/narrating/copying you analyzed for grammar. Used it at this level for dd14) Also, looked at lit /history guides from Memoria Press. Not sure how this would fit.)

History: Ancients, SOTW 1 with books recommended

Literature: Planning on TWTM recommendations

Latin: First Form with older sibling

Math: MUS-Division and Fractions by end of year.

Science: Apologia Astronomy

Oral Reading: McGuffeys

Bible: undecided We have been doing the Prairie Primer bible readings as we go through Little House books together.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm leaving out at the moment, but this well help give you an idea of where we are at!

Thank you!

Deborah

Well, I have a ten year old daughter that has been mostly home schooled. When people ask I tell them she's in 4th grade. We'd do the daily lessons and then just two of the weekly lessons - this is about four hours of work. This is what I have planned

Daily

Math - Singapore

Assigned Reading - AO 4th grade suggestions not tied to history

Chores/Life Skills - my daughter has a chores list she has to do each day

Cursive - Cursive Writing Skills for Left-Handed Students

Religion - AWANA book

PE - Wii physical games

Weekly

Geography - Evan Moore North America then Europe

History - SOTW 1 with activities

Fine Arts - Mike Venzia books for artist study; Art for Kids for creation

Latin - Prima Latina

Music - Laudate!

Grammar - Simply Grammar

Nature/Science - Biology for Every Kid by Janice VanCleave; Backyard Birding for Kids (setting up bird feeders come winter and keeping track of what birds we see)

Logic - Mind Benders or Red Herrings (this would be new to us, and I'll just be testing it out to see how it goes)

Touch Typing - a computer program we have that is just titled "Touch Typing for Kids"

Character - The Book of Virtues for Young People

I'll try to modify my original post...

I'd love to have some help thinking this through. I have 2 girls that are in between stages and I am probably driving myself crazy. I have looked through my book, printed all kinds of samples and have narrowed more things down...I think.

I starting transitioning from CM to more TWTM last year. Pulled her from public school in kindergarten at age 5 and used Sonlight to teach reading. Here is what we have done and are looking at for this year, age 10 born 5/9/2000.

Phonics: She can read but isn't fluent yet in speed. She is finishing up Explode the Code 7 and then will move to 8 only because I want her to finish it and she likes it.

Spelling: We haven't started a "program". I tested her using Spelling Power assessment and she is at lower 4th grade level. Any spelling we have done has been through letters to friends, journal, etc. Basically, correcting her spelling in what she has been writing as we finish up the phonics books. I'm thinking SP won't work for her because she is such a perfectionist. So, looking at Spelling Workout.

Grammar/Writing: Have been using narration and dictation. No formal programs until last year. I own and have read WWE. These are the type of narrations I have done with her. We haven't done as much dictation as we need to, possibly. Added R&S 3rd grade last year and are currently in that book. Not sure how it is working for her. She isn't remembering the different parts of speech. Looking at TWTM suggestions of using FLL 4. Or, I REALLY think Classical Writing looks great. It seems the only downside is that it is teacher intensive.

History: Ancients, SOTW 1 with books recommended

Literature: Planning on TWTM recommendations

Latin: First Form with older sibling (First year for her to do latin)

Math: MUS-Division and Fractions by end of year.

Science: Biology

Oral Reading: McGuffeys

Bible: undecided We have been doing the Prairie Primer bible readings as we go through Little House books together.

So, can anyone help me with my plan? Especially the Language section. According to her public school grade, she would be a young 5th grader. But, I do not think she is ready to transition to logic stage yet.

Thank you,

I believe I might have misrepresented myself...

I just read the McGuffey Readers guide by Ruth Beechick and believe I was using more of her way of teaching via Sonlight than CM. CM and TWTM are more alike than not as classical approaches. I think that is why there is a hang up about grammar and writing...that is where I get stuck:tongue_smilie:

I had the 1879 version, and just got the 1836 set today:001_smile: I had been wanting it for a while and finally found it used. I had no idea that Ms. Beechick laid out the lesson plans for each reader.

Anyway, after reading it, I am considering following her plan also for spelling, reading, writing, vocabulary and grammar (language arts). Just thought I would throw out that update :)

Basically, for my 10 yr old, that means all of the above are tied into each story she reads. She would then do additional writing on days the writing is not tied in. That might be letters, invitations, etc. I'm also thinking all the narrations would fit in her also from her history, etc, in TWTM. I also have the WWE book so I would be implementing it as well.

For my 14 yr old, we would need to add in a language arts program for a systematic approach to grammar and writing (I believe).

Anyway, still thinking, praying, and reading:tongue_smilie:

Any thoughts:bigear:

Hi Deborah,

I don't really see questions anywhere in your posts; but it seems like you are looking for either reassurance about your tentative plans, or for other suggestions? And particularly for the language arts section? With this assumption, I'll give this a whirl. :D

The big picture I have in my mind for a neoclassical/WTM-style education is a sequential buildup of skills, no matter what the age of the student. And in my mind, I separate skills from content. I teach skills, then I have my kids practice those skills on their content books.

Skills: math, grammar, writing, spelling, handwriting, how-to-read, Latin. Logic and rhetoric later

Content: science, history, literature, art/music appreciation

To keep things as simple as possible, I find something to teach each of the skills, for example: R&S for math, R&S for grammar, WWE/other SWB audio lecture materials for teaching writing, WRTR for spelling/how-to-read/printing/cursive, PL/LC1/LC2 for Latin. Then I have my kids practice their grammar/writing/reading/spelling skills when they write narrations/dictations/outlines for history/science/literature.

Spelling: I'd suggest that when you finish up the phonics books, find a spelling program and get started on that. Plug her in at her ability level and move forward. Spelling Power is a good one, so is WRTR, and Spelling Workout and many others. Find one that'll work for her and don't look back.

Grammar: R&S is excellent. Call it your grammar course; if you are going to use WWE, you can even skip all the writing lessons in R&S - they will be too confusing at this point if you are in WWE. All the writing lessons in R&S will be taught over and over again later on, at more mature levels. But WWE is a great foundation. So, call R&S your "grammar," and do all except diagraming orally - perhaps this will lessen her resistance? I never saw a need to have my kids write out all the grammar exercises. If they understand the concepts, they will demonstrate it in their correct oral answers. For grammar's sake, doing diagraming written is good, because kids learn to draw a picture of the sentence - this is helpful in editing their writing later on. Also, even though they do grammar orally, their knowledge of this and mechanics will show up in their narrations and dictations. And narration and dictation is where they practice the writing out of grammar and mechanic concepts.

Also FLL is good. I say pick one or the other, not both.

Writing: WWE is simple, effective, thorough, basic. It gives an excellent foundation for later writing skills. Have you listened to SWB's audio downloads for teaching writing? I highly recommend them - the three on the three stages of teaching writing, and the one on lit. analysis. They will give you a big picture for teaching writing all through the grades. She makes it so doable; so straightforward. My kids have been doing WWE, and then outlining as per her instructions, and not only are they gradually growing in proficiency with writing skill, they are learning science, history, and literature content. And they are applying their grammar/mechanic knowledge.

I suggest coming up with a weekly writing plan (well, WWE does this for you), and then just folding your dd's content reading into the writing (this would be really easy with the WWE instructor guide, rather than the WWE workbooks). I think this is more freeing than buying books that have writing activities tied to them. My goal is to help my kids love to read, so I give them lots of reading, but only pick here and there for writing about their reading. I don't want them to associate all their reading with writing practice, or they will dread reading.

I know people like Classical Writing, but many do not because of how teacher intensive it is and how complicated it seems to be when it might not be necessary for younger kids. I think SWB's plan (those audios again :D) accomplishes much the same as CW, but is arranged differently, and I think more simply and age appropriately.

OK, that's skills. Now content.

Literature: If you are going to use the WTM recommendations, there is no need for literature guides (for specific books, I assume?). Also, I like the way WTM spells it out, but the lit. analysis audio by SWB is also worth the $4. She takes what is in WTM and makes it simple, and spells it out all through the grades. Her main theme in it is to preserve the love of reading, and don't beat a book to death with analysis. Yes, learn to analyze and evaluate, but this is done in very gradual stages - no need to rush the learning process.

Your history and science look fine - you could try out having dd keep a timeline for history; but you could also put this off another few months if she is not ready for some reason. For science, I also love how WTM lays this out, with the experiment process. SWB also has a great audio lecture on science in the classical curriculum, that I found helpful.

Latin: FF is great for the 10yo....I might look into something else for the 14 yo (I think I saw you had a 14yo), so that he/she doesn't get bored. Or maybe the 14yo could go through FF faster than the 10yo. But you would know best.

Bible: I say use what you like - you could even include Bible stories for narration or dictation practice. I liked the Golden Children's Bible to read aloud. Early next year, the religious division of Peace Hill Press is putting out a book on how to teach the Bible to your kids, according to the classical stages of learning. I can't wait to read this!

A few last thoughts....CM/Beechick *are* slightly different than WTM, and I can see how CM is similar to WTM. I think you basically have to decide what approach you like for your family. I think WTM got a lot of its early language arts ideas from Beechick, and made them into a simple plan. I didn't like the longer CM-style narrations. I like things simple but effective, and to leave time for reading and playing and being with family. That's why WTM-style language arts appealed to me.

I hope something in here helps! Let me know if you have any questions - I find it easier to answer specific questions, and I'm wondering if that's why no responses came in - because there didn't seem to be questions?

Yes, I wanted you to help me think about my choices. I am going to go digest everything you said and compare all the samples I have printed alongside my TWTM book.

I have been printing and researching and printing and researching :tongue_smilie:

It's fun but can be overwhelming. And, why am I doing this??? Because I feel like I'm on a boat swaying back and forth as I have come into this methodology in the middle with my girls. It takes some adjustments to really get the ball rolling. I feel like we are getting closer. I guess I feel a little overwhelmed due to both girls "supposedly" at the age of going through a transition...grammer to logic and logic to rhetoric. I've just about decided they both have a few things to pick up before going to the next stage all the way.

I think that starting homeschooling with Ruth Beechick/Sonlight methods I've had a hard time convincing myself to separate the LA apart into more separate subjects in lower elementary.

Of course all of this research has led me to curriculum choices I hadn't heard of like Classical Writing and Latin Centered Curriculum. :confused1: More choices!

I am going to listen to SWB lectures. I just need to go where I can download them...I'm on dial-up in the country :D

And, I think you're right...I needed more specific questions. I have already started a few threads that ask just one or two questions.

Now, what if R&S isn't really working???? FLL 4 and WWE 4?

I really thought I liked the looks of Classical Writing...mainly the analysis and kids being able to use one passage to see how grammar, spelling, etc come together. (CW does encourage you to use a separate spelling program though.) Considering what you said. The only thing negative I had heard about CW was teacher intensive.

Thank you in advance for your time!

I've just about decided they both have a few things to pick up before going to the next stage all the way.

I think this is wise. See, you are figuring things out.

I think that starting homeschooling with Ruth Beechick/Sonlight methods I've had a hard time convincing myself to separate the LA apart into more separate subjects in lower elementary.

Sometimes it's all what you are comfortable with, too. I tried the "combined" method when my ds was younger, and I had no clue what I was doing. I needed to separate the skills. The good news is, the skills start to come together eventually. Dictation and oral narration come together by the end of WWE 4, into a 2-3 sentence narration that the student thinks up, dictates to himself, and writes by himself - grammatically and mechanically correctly, too.

Of course all of this research has led me to curriculum choices I hadn't heard of like Classical Writing and Latin Centered Curriculum. :confused1: More choices!

There is SO MUCH choice out there these days! Maybe take a research break and ask yourself what appeals to you about WTM methods?

Now, what if R&S isn't really working???? FLL 4 and WWE 4?

Is R&S indeed not working? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D OK, when I hear people say "isn't working," I always think, "what do you mean, isn't working? It's not magical; *you* are the one who uses the book." If you like the way it lays out the material, or if you understand the material from it, then you will be able to figure out how best to use it with your child. If you like it, you will be able to tweak it. If you don't like it for some reason, then look for something else. Much of WRTR drives me crazy; but I like how teaching reading and spelling are laid out, so I use it; I don't let it use me. In any case, yes, if R&S isn't working out for you and your family, FLL is another good choice for grammar. But, FLL ends at level 4, and then you will have to find another grammar program.

WWE is for writing, though, not grammar.

For some reason, my quote button is working . I have probably worn it out:lol:

I have sticky notes all through my TWTM book :D Part of me wants to just go with her choices and forget the rest! Color me done and move on. But, I want a plan that I feel really good about.

As far as R&S goes, you are probably right on. I thought I really liked it so I don't know what happened. Maybe doing more of the lessons orally would work for dd10. DD14 I covered in my other thread, but there is Jag and AG in the middle years.

BTW, WRTR... I have avoided looking at yet one more thing. Can you use it as just a spelling program. It just sounds intensive to me! I don't mind putting time into a subject the girls really need work with or I wouldn't be looking at CW. Would it help me with dd10 to make sure I have covered the basics of reading with her. I received Phonics road to grammar today after going to check out Latin Road to grammar. Are they similar programs?

But, I want a plan that I feel really good about.

Definitely. And you are going through that process of figuring out what that plan will be. I started off using WTM mostly as written, but I have modified it over the years as I got more comfortable.

BTW, WRTR... I have avoided looking at yet one more thing. Can you use it as just a spelling program. It just sounds intensive to me! I don't mind putting time into a subject the girls really need work with or I wouldn't be looking at CW. Would it help me with dd10 to make sure I have covered the basics of reading with her. I received Phonics road to grammar today after going to check out Latin Road to grammar. Are they similar programs?

Yes, you can use WRTR just for spelling. That's what I do - just for spelling, how-to-read, and cursive/printing. None of the writing or grammar - I don't like how it teaches those things. Yes, it could help you make sure the basics of reading are done. It teaches 70 phonograms for the common sounds of English, and it teaches spelling rules in the context of analyzing words in a notebook. But you may have that covered already with your phonics program and with SP. I don't know about Phonics Road or Latin Road - I haven't seen them.

If you are considering WRTR just for spelling, but aren't sure about the learning curve for you, then know that there are many other good spelling programs out there.