Menu

I did it. AAS

Scuff

I just ordered AAS for my younger 2. I can't believe I'm spending SO much on *spelling*. R&S is SO much cheaper! But middle DD is so hands on and it's already a pain to do R&S with her. All last year as I worked with DS I could tell it was just going to get worse for her as we went along, not better. So, I decided to stop fighting who she is and go with it. I even considered getting RS math for her last night, since math is another nightmare. But we already have most of the math manipulatives it uses and I'm much more confident in my abilities to integrate them into any program with math. I love the looks of MM. It's how I do math naturally. So I should be able to teach her just fine with it. (At least it seems to make sense that I'd be able to teach her better with a curriculum I was more comfortable with. Right?!) Anyway, I'm glad we have the $ to budget towards this now. Though it's crazy to spend that much on one subject!

We had really good success with AAS thus far. DD6 went from on non reader in April, to reading or trying to read anything she chooses. Not always successfully, but she's excited to try. I credit AAS and OPGTR for that.

It is a bit pricey, but it also tag teams phonics too. Reading and writing is a skill for life, as is math. We could do without other things, but those 3 things are the most important skills to learn, with those skills the children are able to learn anything they'd like to. Without them, they are lost. So a good spelling/reading and math program that will get the kids well established on the path of learning is worth it.

I did look used. But I only found one for sale and I was only going to save $12+ship. Since I still had other things to buy from AAS (I'm doing it with DD6 also. Might as well work with both of them at the same time and save myself some work) the shipping wouldn't be a savings and $12 just didn't seem worth the risk of buying used. But if we like this, I'll have more time next year to hunt.

I hope it works well for your kids! It is a chunk of change (though I spent more than that before finding AAS, just looking for a program that would work for us, LOL!). But I figure I spend this much and more on math sometimes, and spelling is an every day skill just like math is.

Merry :-)

I just ordered AAS for my younger 2. I can't believe I'm spending SO much on *spelling*. R&S is SO much cheaper! But middle DD is so hands on and it's already a pain to do R&S with her. All last year as I worked with DS I could tell it was just going to get worse for her as we went along, not better. So, I decided to stop fighting who she is and go with it. I even considered getting RS math for her last night, since math is another nightmare. But we already have most of the math manipulatives it uses and I'm much more confident in my abilities to integrate them into any program with math. I love the looks of MM. It's how I do math naturally. So I should be able to teach her just fine with it. (At least it seems to make sense that I'd be able to teach her better with a curriculum I was more comfortable with. Right?!) Anyway, I'm glad we have the $ to budget towards this now. Though it's crazy to spend that much on one subject!

Worth every penny here, not just AAS but RS too.

My 3rd dd was in tears daily over her poor spelling, AAS help set that straight. My oldest was stuck at a 7th grade spelling level for two years. In the last year and a half she has done books 1 to almost finishing 4. She is, as of today, testing at a 8.8 grade level in spelling. :D

Math wise I didn't find RS till my oldest was half way through 3rd grade. I started out with Miquon (for the hands on) and Singapore (my math love). Almost three years later the kids finally explain to me exactly how much they hate Miquon. As it turns out they are concrete thinkers, so the discovery approach is too abstract for them. They want to be told exactly what to do and why. Singapore wasn't much better. I would have to sit and work with them on new concepts for anywhere from a couple of days to a month, walking through each problem with them on a white board. Memorizing math facts was a nightmare. I had tried flash cards, Calculadders and Flashmaster and they hated them all and didn't learn their math facts. In comes RS. It just clicked for my kids. No they don't love math, but they know they can do it well and don't hate it anymore. Now they can do Singapore a year behind grade level (so that the topics are introduced in RS first) independently. They know their math facts. Worth every penny.

Heather