Menu

Getty Dubay Handwriting ?

OleanderRain

Hey there,

This is our first day of school and I just realized that there is an Instruction Manual for the Getty Dubay Handwriting series. I have Book A now (which appears to be JUST tracing the letters), do I NEED the Instruction Manual to start? I can't order it until next week (I won't actually receive it for 2 weeks) so I'm wondering if I should wait until I get it to begin.

If it's just tracing the letters that they want us to do we'll be done with that by the time the Instruction Manual comes so I would be ordering Book B as well. IS there anything else they want us to do that is explained in the IM?

If you have a second...if you go onto Amazon you can look inside the book. If I do need the IM could I get away with just reading what they show until I get it?

http://www.amazon.com/Italic-Handwriting-Instruction-Barbara-Getty/dp/0876780990/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281971892&sr=8-7

I guess I'm hoping I don't need it at all for Book A, lol.

TIA! :D

Edited by OleanderRain
to add Amazon link

You don't need it. Having it as a reference tool along the way is nice because it gives tips on each book level, but you can easily get going without it.

Enjoy! G-D really rocks. Whenever I get handwriting from my art students at the school where I teach, I am always impressed with that style. It is so beautiful and easy to read. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have never used the IG, wish I hadn't bought it. However I love the program. My son's handwriting was horrible. We started this and I saw an improvement with in a week. (He is 8)

The one thing the manual said to do, that I think is important, is sit next to them as they are doing there letters and correct them as they make mistakes. Don't let them do the whole sheet by themselves, and then tell them it is wrong. You don't want them practicing the wrong way. The biggest I say is "remember, always start from the top."

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend getting the Black Line Masters for Book A (paper version if you have copying capabilities, CD-ROM otherwise). I have my kids go through the book, then do three BLM sheets per day throughout the school year.

Edited by nmoira
clarity

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend getting the Black Line Masters for Book A (paper version if you have copying capabilities, CD-ROM otherwise). I have my kids go through the book, then do BLM sheets per day throughout the school year.

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even know this existed!

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even know this existed!
You're welcome. :)

My post above should have read "three BLM sheets per day."

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend getting the Black Line Masters for Book A (paper version if you have copying capabilities, CD-ROM otherwise). I have my kids go through the book, then do three BLM sheets per day throughout the school year.

I'm interested in knowing which three BLM you give your dc. Three identical sheets, or three different sheets that correspond with the daily lesson? I just bought a pack of these masters and am trying to decide how to use them.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm interested in knowing which three BLM you give your dc.
The BLM's are arranged in the same order the lower case letters are introduced in the book (i.e. by family), but with both upper and lower case letters are on the same page. I print the sheets up in this order and take three pages off the top each day.

DD the Younger is doing some copywork now (long story, her request), but will switch to all copywork when her reading is a bit stronger and drop the BLM's altogether. I use the GDI font from Educational Fontware when making copywork sheets.