Menu

Need ideas for abbreviated US History

My dd16 is taking US History in school this year. Last week was the 4th week of school and they are in the 1900s already. They did not cover exploration, the colonial period, the Revolution, the Constitution, the Civil War, nothing, nada on these topics. They were not covered in World History either.

She is taking 6 Honors classes, so she is busy with her homework load. But I really feel the need to have her do some reading or watch some DVDs on American History. It would need to be something interesting and without a large time commitment. We prefer something with a more conservative but not providential slant. She has a 3-week track-out coming up in a month and I thought maybe we could do something as a family then. She will have some homework during track-out, but obviously not as much as when school is in session.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

She could read the Hakim History of US series--interesting reading IMO. We're supplementing our US History with The Teaching Company videos for Early American History by Professor Linwood C. Thompson. He dresses in character and lectures through each period from the character's point of view.

Just a thought. Are you sure they aren't going back to any of that time period?

I am considering reading A Story of Liberty Charles Coffin and A History of the American People - Johnson to brush up. The latter is a WTM rec. You could try looking there.

Do you think just picking a spine like that will help?

Just a thought. Are you sure they aren't going back to any of that time period?

I am considering reading A Story of Liberty Charles Coffin and A History of the American People - Johnson to brush up. The latter is a WTM rec. You could try looking there.

Do you think just picking a spine like that will help?

No, based on new NC standards, US History starts in 1877 or thereabouts. :glare:

I have both of those books. The Johnson book is so big; I think that'd be a turn-off for her even though it's not a hard read. I could give her both and tell her to pick one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

She could read the Hakim History of US series--interesting reading IMO. We're supplementing our US History with The Teaching Company videos for Early American History by Professor Linwood C. Thompson. He dresses in character and lectures through each period from the character's point of view.

We had the Hakim set and sold it because my kids hated it. We have the TC videos, so that's a workable idea. We could watch them together in the evenings so the whole family could participate.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't forget great movies and mini-series, too. We loved HBO's "John Adams" based on David Attenborough's book. (You'd want to preview it; there are a couple of iffy scenes). Also "Gettysburg" with Jeff Daniels and Martin Sheen was good. I have a whole list of history-related movies; PM me if you're interested. If the filmmaker's worldview is accurate, I think you can learn a lot from this art form. (If you're conservative, I'd avoid work by Oliver Stone).

Don't forget great movies and mini-series, too. We loved HBO's "John Adams" based on David Attenborough's book. (You'd want to preview it; there are a couple of iffy scenes). Also "Gettysburg" with Jeff Daniels and Martin Sheen was good. I have a whole list of history-related movies; PM me if you're interested. If the filmmaker's worldview is accurate, I think you can learn a lot from this art form. (If you're conservative, I'd avoid work by Oliver Stone).

Sent you a PM. Thanks!