Menu

Come have a little pity party w/ me

This is from another thread, but it got overlooked, & it wants some attention.

Twice now, we've driven 1/2 an hr to look at a property, & the owner/mgr didn't show. Both times, we made the appt the day before & confirmed it about an hr in advance--basically, as we were walking out the door.

One lady called back as we were turning into her neighborhood, said she forgot, but could meet us in 4hrs.

It's so hot, & the a/c in the van's so bad, baby threw up after looking at houses on Sat. So Sun afternoon, when we were sure he was fine, we took water bottles for the dc. 7yo had an accident because the water "was entertaining." :svengo:

Can you imagine going thr all that, & people not showing up?

:grouphug: Sorry. I don't have much patience for that sort of thing at all!

I come from very scary passive-aggressive parents. I'm able to dream up the meanest stuff to do to people. It makes me feel better to tell dh...

Things like...listing her rental house address, contact #, & a rent price 1/2 of what she wants on CL. Every day. Until she's wasted enough time showing the house to people who are expecting a way better deal to be equal to our wasted time.

Or taking that 6:30 showing she offered us. She was meeting other people at the same time, & to tell us that, show us the house w/ someone else, seems SO rude. But I wanted to walk thr the house w/ the other family & talk about how much cleaner & cheaper other properties have been, maybe mention that lower price, point out all the problems, talk about what kind of people would rent *that* house...

Or put a rent sign w/ the lower price in her front yard. W/ her phone #.

But...luckily (or unluckily)...neither of us would ever follow through.

I'm thinking of writing a book instead: Civil Vengeance for the 21st Century. :D

I come from very scary passive-aggressive parents. I'm able to dream up the meanest stuff to do to people. It makes me feel better to tell dh...

Things like...listing her rental house address, contact #, & a rent price 1/2 of what she wants on CL. Every day. Until she's wasted enough time showing the house to people who are expecting a way better deal to be equal to our wasted time.

Or taking that 6:30 showing she offered us. She was meeting other people at the same time, & to tell us that, show us the house w/ someone else, seems SO rude. But I wanted to walk thr the house w/ the other family & talk about how much cleaner & cheaper other properties have been, maybe mention that lower price, point out all the problems, talk about what kind of people would rent *that* house...

Or put a rent sign w/ the lower price in her front yard. W/ her phone #.

But...luckily (or unluckily)...neither of us would ever follow through.

I'm thinking of writing a book instead: Civil Vengeance for the 21st Century. :D

You SO remind me of my dd30 :lol:.

I'm so sorry, Aubrey. It STILL amazes me when I expect someone to actually BE THERE for some such appointment and they blow it off.

:grouphug: -- and, yes, the whole running aorund in the heat, folks being unreliable things stinks!:grouphug:

:), write a book on how to look for a house in 100 degree heat w/4 kids.

You will be a goddess.

Not to split hairs or anything, but it was 105 yesterday. And the van a/c feels like somebody blowing on you. Somebody who's a fire-breathing dragon.

This is from another thread, but it got overlooked, & it wants some attention.

Twice now, we've driven 1/2 an hr to look at a property, & the owner/mgr didn't show. Both times, we made the appt the day before & confirmed it about an hr in advance--basically, as we were walking out the door.

One lady called back as we were turning into her neighborhood, said she forgot, but could meet us in 4hrs.

It's so hot, & the a/c in the van's so bad, baby threw up after looking at houses on Sat. So Sun afternoon, when we were sure he was fine, we took water bottles for the dc. 7yo had an accident because the water "was entertaining." :svengo:

Can you imagine going thr all that, & people not showing up?

I remember my aunt taking the lunch meat out oh my uncle's lunch and hearing her say, "he'd better get it now!" It took me years to get it myself!

You're in DFW - I'm in DFW -there are TONS of rentals and apartment complexes here. How about just showing up at a leasing office at one of the apartment complexes? You can move in next day at some of these apartments.

There are at least 3 or 4 "for lease" signs in our subdivision alone. One sign says "Century 21" on it. Have you tried realtors?

I don't want to give myself away...but is there a specific area you are looking for? Are you looking on the Dallas side or the Fort Worth side? I know there are several nice complexes in North Ft Worth-Heritage Trace, Keller, Roanoke, Lake Worth etc. Isn't there a lot of rentals in Denton? It's a college town... I love the Keller area (we don't live in Keller - BTW). :glare:

www.rent.com usually has pretty detailed descriptions of apartment complexes and Apartment Finder also...

Good luck with your search. I rent a house and I found it one day and moved in the next (we were desperate - lol).

You're in DFW - I'm in DFW -there are TONS of rentals and apartment complexes here. How about just showing up at a leasing office at one of the apartment complexes? You can move in next day at some of these apartments.

I guess that's our last-hope plan. We'd like to still have at least a bit of yard, & I have personal space/noise issues that...apartments seem like maybe a bad idea. Plus...the ones I've looked at (online) are smaller & a lot more expensive than the duplexes, townhomes, etc. we've looked at.

There are at least 3 or 4 "for lease" signs in our subdivision alone. One sign says "Century 21" on it. Have you tried realtors?

We usually call the place that is renting the property, but of the realtors, leasing agents we've talked to, one failed to show, & one--I told him what we were looking for & asked him to keep our info in case he had something come up. He said he would, but from the look on his face--he's not interested in our business. Probably not worth his time. :001_huh:

I don't want to give myself away...but is there a specific area you are looking for? Are you looking on the Dallas side or the Fort Worth side? I know there are several nice complexes in North Ft Worth-Heritage Trace, Keller, Roanoke, Lake Worth etc. Isn't there a lot of rentals in Denton? It's a college town... I love the Keller area (we don't live in Keller - BTW). :glare:

We're looking everywhere between FW & Dallas. Dh's job & school are both going to be very flexible as far as location for the next 6mos & pretty flexible for the 6mos after that. The Irving area would save him the most commute time, but since he's working as a courier, that's almost a moot point. If you look at the west side of the 820 loop & imagine that's the west-most point of a big circle around the metroplex, that's where we're looking. For cheap enough rent or a forever home to buy, we'd even look further out.

The real issue is we're trying not to go over $800/mo. W/ 4 dc, we're trying to stay above 1200sf if we can, 3 bed, 2 bath. But we have looked at a few that were 1000sf, 1.5 bath, or 2bed. Would prefer not to hit all three of those, though. LOL

www.rent.com usually has pretty detailed descriptions of apartment complexes and Apartment Finder also...

Good luck with your search. I rent a house and I found it one day and moved in the next (we were desperate - lol).

Thanks--I do think part of the problem is knowing where to look. After a few hrs I start to feel really spacey & random, & I actually look at the million dollar mansions. :lol:

for future appointments I'd be honest and say, "Look. I don't mean to be rude but I've shown up for x number of appointments, in this heat with almost no a/c in the car, and most agents/landlords haven't been there for me. Can you please just assure me you'll be there?" MAYBE they'll be a little more considerate.

for future appointments I'd be honest and say, "Look. I don't mean to be rude but I've shown up for x number of appointments, in this heat with almost no a/c in the car, and most agents/landlords haven't been there for me. Can you please just assure me you'll be there?" MAYBE they'll be a little more considerate.

LOL--I did just that w/ a prop mgr this AM! He *promised* he'd be ON TIME. :lol:

I would not want to rent from someone like that. You could not trust that they would take care of other responsibilities in a timely manner if they can't even keep an appointment to show the place. (Buying would be ok because once the sale goes through you are done with them.)

I totally agree.

No matter how wonderful this place is, and it must have something that is luring you - don't rent it! Any problems you have in the future will receive the exact consideration and response you are experiencing now or possibly less.

Buy the cute house with the fireplace instead!

No matter how wonderful this place is, and it must have something that is luring you - don't rent it! Any problems you have in the future will receive the exact consideration and response you are experiencing now or possibly less.

Buy the cute house with the fireplace instead!

Nah. It was ugly-ish in the pics, but the right price & square feet. I try not to be ridiculously picky, but really, I didn't want to rent the house. I want to rent *a* house, lol.

Going to look at another ugly one tomorrow. :001_smile:

I would be tempted to send the no-show realtor a "sorry you couldn't come, we were so disappointed not to see the house" note.

With a copy sent to the head of the property management office.

Well, one lady was the owner of the house. The other guy *was* the prop mgr, & he didn't even have to show--he told us to call when we got there, & he'd give us the code to get in. Several of them have done it that way. But I called right before I left to confirm that the time wouldn't be a problem, & then when we got there, no one answered. Dh called 3x, & we waited about 30min.